Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Audi Q5 will have Low Dust Brake Pads

Old 10-01-2014, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by climbtosafety
I also have a 2013 Q5 S-line and initially had issues with the brakes squealing. I mentioned it to the dealer upon my first service and they said that's normal. It got to the point that I took it in at 25k miles and they called me and told me I needed new brakes and rotors.
Is this your first German car?

The reason I ask is that it's really quite common to need new pads by 25K miles on these cars, depending on how you drive. And since the rotors will most likely not last through the second set of pads, Audi (and BMW, and MB) typically recommends that you get the rotors replaced at the same time as the pads.

The fact that rotors change color is normal too. This happens as some brake pad material gets deposited on the rotors. Read the brake bedding in article that was posted earlier in this thread.

With all that said, your particular Q5 might be having some other issue that is not necessarily related to the above. I hope you get it taken care of by Audi.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE

The reason I ask is that it's really quite common to need new pads by 25K miles on these cars, depending on how you drive. And since the rotors will most likely not last through the second set of pads, Audi (and BMW, and MB) typically recommends that you get the rotors replaced at the same time as the pads.

The fact that rotors change color is normal too. This happens as some brake pad material gets deposited on the rotors. Read the brake bedding in article that was posted earlier in this thread.

With all that said, your particular Q5 might be having some other issue that is not necessarily related to the above. I hope you get it taken care of by Audi.
That's insane. I've owned high-performance cars, with huge Brembo units that never needed attention until well into the 30K range. We have a very heavy Nissan Titan, and it is still going strong on the stock brakes at 80K!!! Which, admittedly, is just more insane.

But, sorry, there is absolutely nothing reasonable about thinking a SUV would need brake work by 25K - under NORMAL driving.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As another FWIW Brembo data point, I had a 2004 Acura TL with Brembos (only came with the 6-speed manual). Needed new pads at 29,000 miles. Replaced them with Posi-Quiets. Traded in the vehicle at 137,000 miles with those same pads.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Guys, brake pad longevity can be all over the place. Many people here report needing brake work every 20k miles or so. Some people are hard on their brakes and drive mostly in the city. Others spend most of their time on the highway with a long-distance commute. Maybe they travel 50k or 70k miles before the original brakes are changed out. This stuff is all over the map in terms of longevity. Many factors to consider. These Audis aren't exactly feather weight vehicles.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, not my first German car. Attached are images and keep in mind, the rotors were replaced at around 25k miles and pads have been replaced twice (current mileage is around 33k). I took to an independent mechanic who said it appeared they had used something to buff the rotors. You can see visible gashes in the hub and the rotors are grinding on the outer edge.

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE