Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Q5 pano roof driving me crazy!!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
I had that sound too but it came out to be the trunk cargo lid.
I just checked see if the trunk cargo cover is making the noise but NO, I test drove it with trunk cargo cover removed, its still making that noise above my head in the front seat area. I thought about bringing it in when my service is due but since that bothers me so bad, I will have to call dealer again and do a test drive with the tech.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by visualguy
You forgot to specify a very important option on the Q5/SQ5 order guide: PFH - Delete Panorama sunroof.
This is the last time I am going to order a car with pano roof!!!, but its too late
Old 10-31-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi1177777
I just checked see if the trunk cargo cover is making the noise but NO, I test drove it with trunk cargo cover removed, its still making that noise above my head in the front seat area. I thought about bringing it in when my service is due but since that bothers me so bad, I will have to call dealer again and do a test drive with the tech.
let us know the outcome. check out the rear seat fix as well.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi1177777
This is the last time I am going to order a car with pano roof!!!, but its too late
Did you check to see if the side of the sunroof panel is dirty? This used to happen on my A4. If the side of the panel was dusty, it would squeak when closed. I would tilt the roof open to clean the sides and back and open slightly to clean the front.

Just a thought.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=hopkinss;24504232]I had the same issue with my 2013 2.0T. Took it to the dealer a couple of times. They test drove and agreed that the roof was making noise. They took it in a couple of weeks ago and replaced the sunroof frame, which solved the problem.
Did the dealer find the noise the first time you brought the car in? What kind of noises were u hearing and how many days did u wait for repair?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i doubt this is your issue, but something worth noting. i have a pano moonroof on my mini cooper. mind you, that car rides a lot less quiet and quite a bit rougher than the Q5. i used to get an annoying buzzing sound from the roof, around the dome light. it turns out, it was the electrical wiring from the dome light that was causing the problem - it was a somewhat well known problem. they fixed it by wrapping the wires with felt of some sort. just a thought, albeit a far fetched one.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had an annoying "tick coming from my pano roof at one stage. Only happened after the dealer replaced the glass panel under a recall ( the shattering glass problem well recorded on these forums). I fiddled around and found the source by chance.

At the front of the pano roof on one corner (right side), right on the curve, there is a piece of plastic trim that is quite flexible. It is only on the one corner, not the other. I pressed this down a little (not to bend it though) and voila, the noise went away for good. That was 6 months back. Roof has been quiet ever since. To access this trim piece, roof needs to be open and you need to stand on the door sill to look in from the top. If you know where to press, could actually do it while seated in the car too.

Hope this helps. That ticking had really been getting on my nerves.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GregH
I had an annoying "tick coming from my pano roof at one stage. Only happened after the dealer replaced the glass panel under a recall ( the shattering glass problem well recorded on these forums). I fiddled around and found the source by chance.

At the front of the pano roof on one corner (right side), right on the curve, there is a piece of plastic trim that is quite flexible. It is only on the one corner, not the other. I pressed this down a little (not to bend it though) and voila, the noise went away for good. That was 6 months back. Roof has been quiet ever since. To access this trim piece, roof needs to be open and you need to stand on the door sill to look in from the top. If you know where to press, could actually do it while seated in the car too.

Hope this helps. That ticking had really been getting on my nerves.
Thanks for the advise, I will see how it works out.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

[QUOTE=Audi1177777;24504347]
Originally Posted by hopkinss
I had the same issue with my 2013 2.0T. Took it to the dealer a couple of times. They test drove and agreed that the roof was making noise. They took it in a couple of weeks ago and replaced the sunroof frame, which solved the problem.
Did the dealer find the noise the first time you brought the car in? What kind of noises were u hearing and how many days did u wait for repair?
I took it in for the 5,000 mile oil change and told them about the noise. The noise was a muffled clunk, or if going over a lot of bumps, I guess I could see where someone might describe it as ticking or creaking. Two technicians got in the car with me and drove around, one drove, one sat in the back. They both heard the noise and agreed that the roof was the source. They requested I schedule another time to take it back in because they would need to keep it for a while. It just happened that the horn stopped working so I scheduled for both services. It took them about 3 business days to order in the sun roof frame and install it. No noises from the roof since.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
head over to Homedepot or Lowes for some Velcro cotton pads. When you remove the cargo lid. On both side there are a shiny surface where the cargo lid lays on. When you apply the cotton Velcro. The sound will go away. so no need to use any grease on the tabs like other threads are saying. Below is the link. I only used the cotton side. I will take a few pictures when I get home.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Velcro-4-...1#.UnJ5Tl_D91M
Pictures please?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Q5 pano roof driving me crazy!!