Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Audi Q5 SLine TDI

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Audi Q5 SLine TDI

Hello everyone, I live in Edmonton, AB and I have bought a brand new 2014 Audi Q5 SLine TDI 3.0 on December 28th 2013 (first Audi ever). I had no problems with it for 10 months until one day when I stopped at a stop sign and my Start/Stop feature went on when I made a complete stop like usual, like most people when it was safe to go I took my feet off the brake and started going and just 10 meters later my car went back and forth and made a different sound and got the "glow plugs system" light on and a saying "Stop/Start system fault, function unavailable " lost power to my car at the same time, as in; it felt like i was driving a V4 car with like 100 horse power I quickly pulled over and turned off my car, ended up turning my car on after couple minutes and had no problem everything was working fine, I called South gate Audi(where I purchased the vehicle) I told them about it and they told me to bring it in since I lost power on the car so it was best if one of the techs looked at it, got scheduled for 10/07/2014 at 8:15(the next day)drove it there without and problems, with that being my only car my transportation was gone and they told me that they had no loaners to lend me so ended up shuttling back home and got a call from Audi around 5:30 same day, they told me that they talked to Audi and found the problem in the Fuel Pump(which is odd because its a 2014 car) they got it shipped and replaced the next day I picked up my car around 6:00.. and just a week later, morning of the 10/15/2014 when I went to my garage to turn my car on it took longer to start the engine, so normally I would press the brake and push the start button it would only take around a second to start the engine up but this time it took like 5 seconds and all of the old problems happened again but this time while I was stopped and engine didn't sound the same. I quickly turned off my car and called Audi told them about it and called Audi Side Assist for a tow truck(because I thought it would harm the car to drive) got it towed to Audi and ended up shuttling to Enterprise because they still had no loaners to lend me.....Rented a car from there(which I cannot drive because I am under age and have to pay $25,99 everyday for insurance) I got a call from South Gate Audi on 10/20/2014 saying the problem is with the High fuel pressure pump and they ordered it but wont be there till the 21st, they got the part and replaced it all day yesterday and today, on 10/22/2014 exactly a week after I got my car towed there and after they replaced the High Pressure Fuel pump I got a call saying that they replaced it but the car wasn't running properly and that they were going to look at it till Friday..So tomorrow is going to be 8th day they had my car in the shop just this visit, and I have already paid $200 dollars on insurance for a rental, and haven't been able to drive my Audi for the half of this month. As far as it goes Im just not sure if it was worth the money right now....I miss my car Thanks for reading! Please let me know what I should do.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

If your dealership is replacing the HPFP(High Pressure Fuel Pump) they need to inspect, and more than likely replace, the other fuel system components. When the HPFP fails it usually sends particulates into the fuel line, which damages other fuel system components. So merely replacing only the HPFP doesn't completely remedy the problem. This has been an issue going back to 2009 with the TDI in the Q7. It's unfortunate to hear Audi hasn't completely remedied this issue by now despite not hearing any recent issues, but Audi is definitely aware of this flaw. A full fuel system replacement can take several days to weeks to complete, and I have have heard of it costing from $13,000-18,000 US, but Audi has covered it all, even for vehicles which are significantly outside of warranty(ie. 125,000 miles). If you are unsatisfied with how your local dealership is handling the issue you can contact Audi of North America, but I would suggest you discuss this first with your dealership's service manager and then general manager before you escalate this issue. Ultimately they need to do more than just keep replacing the HPFP, since it is clear after two attempts that merely doing that alone isn't remedying the issue.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by - B -
A full fuel system replacement can take several days to weeks to complete,
According to workshop manuals replacing complete system takes 12 working hours
Old 10-23-2014, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Most dealers will want to fully diagnose the vehicle and make sure Audi signs off on the warranty work before performing the fix, since we are talking about several thousands of dollars. Then they'll probably want to ensure the vehicle is running right after the work, and not merely hand over the keys. Every service department is different, but most responsible dealerships will tell you it will be a few days at the least and that is saying that they have all the parts, no other vehicles are scheduled ahead of this particular vehicle, and Audi doesn't delay the warranty process. In reality it is always better to expect a longer delay and be prepared for the worse, then if they end up handling it quicker, you'll naturally be happier.

Mahir, make sure they give you a loaner for this issue though, since you shouldn't be spending your own money at this point on a rental for an issue they weren't able to fix the first time.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Most dealers will want to fully diagnose the vehicle and make sure Audi signs off on the warranty work before performing the fix, since we are talking about several thousands of dollars. Then they'll probably want to ensure the vehicle is running right after the work, and not merely hand over the keys. Every service department is different, but most responsible dealerships will tell you it will be a few days at the least and that is saying that they have all the parts, no other vehicles are scheduled ahead of this particular vehicle, and Audi doesn't delay the warranty process. In reality it is always better to expect a longer delay and be prepared for the worse, then if they end up handling it quicker, you'll naturally be happier.

Mahir, make sure they give you a loaner for this issue though, since you shouldn't be spending your own money at this point on a rental for an issue they weren't able to fix the first time.
Full test ALL components online from Ingolstadt takes 2 to 2½ hours + a test drive for 45 minutes.
This is standard procedure for all Audi services in the world

Good luck
Old 10-23-2014, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know what their policy is, but if my dealer was keeping my car for more than a day for warranty work, I'd demand a loaner.

Call Audi Canada if your dealer doesn't want to give you one.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If your dealership is replacing the HPFP(High Pressure Fuel Pump) they need to inspect, and more than likely replace, the other fuel system components. When the HPFP fails it usually sends particulates into the fuel line, which damages other fuel system components. So merely replacing only the HPFP doesn't completely remedy the problem. This has been an issue going back to 2009 with the TDI in the Q7. It's unfortunate to hear Audi hasn't completely remedied this issue by now despite not hearing any recent issues, but Audi is definitely aware of this flaw. A full fuel system replacement can take several days to weeks to complete, and I have have heard of it costing from $13,000-18,000 US, but Audi has covered it all, even for vehicles which are significantly outside of warranty(ie. 125,000 miles). If you are unsatisfied with how your local dealership is handling the issue you can contact Audi of North America, but I would suggest you discuss this first with your dealership's service manager and then general manager before you escalate this issue. Ultimately they need to do more than just keep replacing the HPFP, since it is clear after two attempts that merely doing that alone isn't remedying the issue.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
First time when I took it to the dealership it took them about 2 days to replace the (Fuel pump) and didn't ask to take it for a test drive or anything, just gave my keys back and told me it was fixed. When it happened again that's when they would replace (high pressure fuel pump) I got a call on Friday and she said that they needed to take my car for 100 km test drive because the mechanic thinks that problems accure when the fuel in the tank goes down to quarter and needed me to send them an email saying I approve for the test drive. And I told her about the 256 dollars that costed me just for having a rental for 9 days she said there's nothing they can do about it but she said come in and get a loaner untill they fix the problem, she said it would probably be good to go on Monday but I called and she hasn't heard anything and got no call today aswell.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by spijun
She said it would take them about 17 hours.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you

I appreciate you guys taking your time and reading my article and help me out, I will keep you all updated.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mahir Karatas
First time when I took it to the dealership it took them about 2 days to replace the (Fuel pump) and didn't ask to take it for a test drive or anything, just gave my keys back and told me it was fixed. When it happened again that's when they would replace (high pressure fuel pump) I got a call on Friday and she said that they needed to take my car for 100 km test drive because the mechanic thinks that problems accure when the fuel in the tank goes down to quarter and needed me to send them an email saying I approve for the test drive. And I told her about the 256 dollars that costed me just for having a rental for 9 days she said there's nothing they can do about it but she said come in and get a loaner untill they fix the problem, she said it would probably be good to go on Monday but I called and she hasn't heard anything and got no call today aswell.
I bet Audi is partially responsible for the delay. Naturally the first HPFP would be warranted, but the second is flagged, especially in such a short time frame for needing another replacement. Plus they are probably working on other vehicles while waiting on other parts too. So all these factors will cause it to take little while. At least your in a loaner now. The person you spoke with might not want to reimburse you for the cost of the rental, but wait till the work is done and everything is alright and then contact the general manager. Mention you'll be contacting Audi in regards to the costs you incurred for an issue, which wasn't properly resolved the first time by their service department , and also for the fact they never provided you with a loaner, despite the issue clearly being something that was going to take some time. If the GM isn't responsive, you could have a case in small claims court, if they have one in Canada(sorry not too familiar with the legal system up there, but they are clearly in the wrong, and if they provide loaners for everyone, yet you didn't get one, they are responsible for the cost of the rental, not you). Good luck, and hopefully they resolve all of this for you shortly.

Last edited by - B -; 10-29-2014 at 01:11 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Audi Q5 SLine TDI