2014 Q5 Remote Start? - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Log In 


Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

2014 Q5 Remote Start?

Closed Thread
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Default 2014 Q5 Remote Start?

I just took delivery of my 14 Q5. Great Car, love it. I called the dealer this am to inquire about a remote start option. They said there are aftermarket ones available but AUDI does not recommend it. Something about it interferring with the "Fiber Optics" of the vehicle? I am not stupid about stuff normally but since I am leasing this vehicle, I don't want to affect the warranty or other things that would cost me a ton of money and lease end...Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
CT14Q5 is offline  
Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Default

I'm wondering about this too. I was told there are "too many electronics" and that it isn't recommended. I really want one, though...

I have the advanced key. I don't know if that makes a difference.
thirtynation is offline  
Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
 
spijun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sarajevo /BiH
Posts: 3,056
Default

Not recommended for the reasons because it must be disabled Audi security protection, the same must be disable to install a remote start
__________________
Q5 2.0 TFSI,S-tronic,
Milano leather, B&O, 19" 5-arm polished

Excuse me for my English
spijun is offline  
Old 10-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 332
Default

The fiber optics thing doesn't make sense. Short of cutting a fiber optic cable, I am not sure how anything could interfere with it.
__________________
Sean
2014 Q5 2.0T, P+, B&O
Lava Grey w/ Chestnut Sport seats
stash64 is offline  
Old 10-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Turguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 68
Default

Just curious why you want remote start. My car (2013 Hybrid Q5) actually warns me not to warm up the engine. Get in the car, start it, drive away. If you let it idle for too long before you drive it anywhere it gives warnings on the dash.

I'm not arguing, just curious the reasons why people need remote start.
Turguin is offline  
Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turguin View Post
Just curious why you want remote start. My car (2013 Hybrid Q5) actually warns me not to warm up the engine. Get in the car, start it, drive away. If you let it idle for too long before you drive it anywhere it gives warnings on the dash.

I'm not arguing, just curious the reasons why people need remote start.
I'm not sure where you live but during the winter in ND it wouldn't hurt to get in a car that's warm when it's 10 degrees out. That could be one reason...
MKND77 is offline  
Old 10-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
AudiWorld Super User
 
spijun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sarajevo /BiH
Posts: 3,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKND77 View Post
I'm not sure where you live but during the winter in ND it wouldn't hurt to get in a car that's warm when it's 10 degrees out. That could be one reason...
Did you know that the work of a cold engine when the car is parked harms this same engine
New engines to warm up after a 4-5 minute drive
In Europe, in many countries prohibited heating the engine when the car is parked (For example in Germany: the penalty is 300 Euros )
__________________
Q5 2.0 TFSI,S-tronic,
Milano leather, B&O, 19" 5-arm polished

Excuse me for my English
spijun is offline  
Old 10-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
AudiWorld Super User
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: US PA
Posts: 4,425
Default True, but in Europe that have auxiliary heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by spijun View Post
Did you know that the work of a cold engine when the car is parked harms this same engine
New engines to warm up after a 4-5 minute drive
In Europe, in many countries prohibited heating the engine when the car is parked (For example in Germany: the penalty is 300 Euros )
that come as a factory option. I'm not sure about the current ones, but the older ones were electric and programable to turn on at a certain time and warm up the inside cabin to any temperature you wanted before you got in the car. Now they needed to be plugged in to AC, so owners with garages did well with these. I now that the Nordic Audi owners use them. These are not the same as electric engine block heaters, they are actually an interior heater.
Bob Petruska is offline  
Old 10-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
AudiWorld Super User
 
spijun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sarajevo /BiH
Posts: 3,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Petruska View Post
that come as a factory option. I'm not sure about the current ones, but the older ones were electric and programable to turn on at a certain time and warm up the inside cabin to any temperature you wanted before you got in the car. Now they needed to be plugged in to AC, so owners with garages did well with these. I now that the Nordic Audi owners use them. These are not the same as electric engine block heaters, they are actually an interior heater.
Yes's exactly what the options in Europe that costs 1420 Euros (1900 $) but here is written the remote start engine not the additional heating that does not exist in the U.S. market


Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
Q5 2.0 TFSI,S-tronic,
Milano leather, B&O, 19" 5-arm polished

Excuse me for my English
spijun is offline  
Old 10-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spijun View Post
Not recommended for the reasons because it must be disabled Audi security protection, the same must be disable to install a remote start
So if I'm reading this right, the reason they don't recommend it is because you'd have to disable the alarm? Does that mean the functionality of the alarm system would be permanently disabled, or only once you've remote started the car? If it's the latter, that doesn't bother me at all, since it wouldn't be more than 5 minutes between when I started the car, and when I got in it. The car is also physically protected and can't be stolen in that time frame.
thirtynation is offline  
 
 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil pressure low vs drain off oil? Avinashl A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion 7 09-21-2015 08:02 AM
S5 S tronic drivers: pause on acceleration? Drollomite Man Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio 7 09-12-2013 04:16 PM
About to place order on TDI, should I get B&O? Here are my plans... Mark P Q5/SQ5 Discussion 18 04-26-2013 03:59 PM
Q3 coming to Canada! petethecanuck Q3 Discussion 10 04-17-2013 11:09 AM
Which year to buy 2011, 2012 or 2013? quantumrace A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion 7 03-02-2013 07:01 AM


Tags
2012, 2014, a4, a5, a6, audi, auto, comfort, package, presige, q5, q7, remote, start, starter

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:55 AM.