Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 Remote Start?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Q5 Remote Start?

I just took delivery of my 14 Q5. Great Car, love it. I called the dealer this am to inquire about a remote start option. They said there are aftermarket ones available but AUDI does not recommend it. Something about it interferring with the "Fiber Optics" of the vehicle? I am not stupid about stuff normally but since I am leasing this vehicle, I don't want to affect the warranty or other things that would cost me a ton of money and lease end...Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm wondering about this too. I was told there are "too many electronics" and that it isn't recommended. I really want one, though...

I have the advanced key. I don't know if that makes a difference.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Not recommended for the reasons because it must be disabled Audi security protection, the same must be disable to install a remote start
Old 10-17-2013, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The fiber optics thing doesn't make sense. Short of cutting a fiber optic cable, I am not sure how anything could interfere with it.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious why you want remote start. My car (2013 Hybrid Q5) actually warns me not to warm up the engine. Get in the car, start it, drive away. If you let it idle for too long before you drive it anywhere it gives warnings on the dash.

I'm not arguing, just curious the reasons why people need remote start.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Turguin
Just curious why you want remote start. My car (2013 Hybrid Q5) actually warns me not to warm up the engine. Get in the car, start it, drive away. If you let it idle for too long before you drive it anywhere it gives warnings on the dash.

I'm not arguing, just curious the reasons why people need remote start.
I'm not sure where you live but during the winter in ND it wouldn't hurt to get in a car that's warm when it's 10 degrees out. That could be one reason...
Old 10-17-2013, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MKND77
I'm not sure where you live but during the winter in ND it wouldn't hurt to get in a car that's warm when it's 10 degrees out. That could be one reason...
Did you know that the work of a cold engine when the car is parked harms this same engine
New engines to warm up after a 4-5 minute drive
In Europe, in many countries prohibited heating the engine when the car is parked (For example in Germany: the penalty is 300 Euros )
Old 10-17-2013, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default True, but in Europe that have auxiliary heaters

Originally Posted by spijun
Did you know that the work of a cold engine when the car is parked harms this same engine
New engines to warm up after a 4-5 minute drive
In Europe, in many countries prohibited heating the engine when the car is parked (For example in Germany: the penalty is 300 Euros )
that come as a factory option. I'm not sure about the current ones, but the older ones were electric and programable to turn on at a certain time and warm up the inside cabin to any temperature you wanted before you got in the car. Now they needed to be plugged in to AC, so owners with garages did well with these. I now that the Nordic Audi owners use them. These are not the same as electric engine block heaters, they are actually an interior heater.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
that come as a factory option. I'm not sure about the current ones, but the older ones were electric and programable to turn on at a certain time and warm up the inside cabin to any temperature you wanted before you got in the car. Now they needed to be plugged in to AC, so owners with garages did well with these. I now that the Nordic Audi owners use them. These are not the same as electric engine block heaters, they are actually an interior heater.
Yes's exactly what the options in Europe that costs 1420 Euros (1900 $) but here is written the remote start engine not the additional heating that does not exist in the U.S. market

Name:  ScreenShot222_zps2675d23d.jpg
Views: 5858
Size:  27.1 KB
Old 10-17-2013, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by spijun
Not recommended for the reasons because it must be disabled Audi security protection, the same must be disable to install a remote start
So if I'm reading this right, the reason they don't recommend it is because you'd have to disable the alarm? Does that mean the functionality of the alarm system would be permanently disabled, or only once you've remote started the car? If it's the latter, that doesn't bother me at all, since it wouldn't be more than 5 minutes between when I started the car, and when I got in it. The car is also physically protected and can't be stolen in that time frame.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 Remote Start?