Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 rough transmission summary

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Q5 rough transmission summary

First, apologize for starting a new thread given that there have been already multiple threads talking about the similar problem. What I am trying to do is to list all the roughness in different situations and see which of these you also notice. If there are solutions to fix some of them. Please do share!

1. low speed downshift, probably downhill only, right after the cool start. I only experience this right after cool start. I suspect this may be due to the cold engine and the alternater getting charged right after the start.

2. full stop and start, uphill, right after the cool start. The car does not move until I gradulally push the throttle too hard and then it jumps. Again, this only happens to me right after the cool start.

3. downhill, low speed. The gearbox is too aggressive to move to the next gear. Since it is downhill, a little push on the throttle causes the jump.

Anyone else?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Number 2 may have to deal with the Hill Hold type feature. If you let off of the brake long enough before pressing the throttle, the car will automatically engage the brakes to hold the car until you are ready to go. (may not be exactly right, but it has been awhile since I have browsed the manual)

You might also want specify engine and tranny type. I think the ADS equipped Q's may act a little different.

3.0 with ADS
The only rough shift we have is from 1st to 2nd when in traffic. As long as you get the RPMs up, it is not an issue. It is most pronounced in comfort, manageable in Auto and completely goes away in dynamic/sport.
edit:
We rarely use dynamic/sport because of the downshift blips. While not rough, very noticeable while slowing down.

Last edited by Xylar5; 10-21-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Xylar5

You might also want specify engine and tranny type. I think the ADS equipped Q's may act a little different.
The 2.0T acts quite a bit different than the 3.0T too. I suspect the lower (higher numerically) gearing makes it really tough on the 2.0T to polish up/down shift smoothness in 1st & 2nd.

That being said, the only shifting issues I have noticed (3.0T) are
1) cold start (temp <40F), the first 1st-2nd shift can be a bit rough and non-polished, but it's not a big deal to me. Altho...most past performance cars I've had were barely drivable on cold start so my tolerance may be high
Solution: a 30 second warm up seems to get things sorted enough that it doesn't happen.

2) In D only, at very light throttle, the 1st to 2nd shift happens so quickly on throttle tip-in that it can feel like a hesitation.
Solution: Drive in S and/or more throttle gets you moving quicker and holds 1st longer

Overall, I am very pleased with the 8spd/3.0T combo. Under nearly all conditions, it's really well done for an automatic
Old 10-23-2014, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The only issue I have in a 2014 TDI is a slightly rougher shift when in city driving with traffic or a lot if stop signs. As stated earlier it seems to hunt for first and second gear.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by imdakine1
The only issue I have in a 2014 TDI is a slightly rougher shift when in city driving with traffic or a lot if stop signs. As stated earlier it seems to hunt for first and second gear.
Same here.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Possible Solution

Originally Posted by rogergu
Same here.
I have a 2014 Q5 2.0T and I am experiencing the same issue, especially when the car comes to an complete stop without applying any brakes. There seems to have a solution to smooth out the rough downshift by installing a transmission mount insert.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24742053
Old 11-12-2015, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pengbo fu
especially when the car comes to an complete stop without applying any brakes.
How do you make it come to a stop without applying brakes? By driving uphill?
Old 11-15-2015, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Modern car with an automatic transmission, on level ground? The idle speed of the engine and tranny will ensure that it never stops UNLESS it is put in neutral or the brakes engage.

Which would point a finger at some malfunction on the brakes (not fully released) or the electric parking brake being engaged, so there's some brake malfunction causing the car to slowly stop, when it should be idling forward.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The jerk happens before it reaches idle speed. Sorry, of course and automatic car don't come to a complete stop on level ground without applying brake. I booked an appointment next Monday with the dealership and I will update the result. One solution I found online is to reset the transmission control module or the mechatronic unit so that the computer can learn a new driver's driving style. I will make my dealer to reset TCM and report back.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pengbo fu
The jerk happens before it reaches idle speed. Sorry, of course and automatic car don't come to a complete stop on level ground without applying brake. I booked an appointment next Monday with the dealership and I will update the result. One solution I found online is to reset the transmission control module or the mechatronic unit so that the computer can learn a new driver's driving style. I will make my dealer to reset TCM and report back.
The way to stop without braking is:
1. drive uphill.
2. stop the car by applying the brake.
3. when the car is fully stopped, release the brake.

I believe when the hill is not too steep, the car won't move back or forward.

To start moving, step on the throttle gradually, I can hear the engine spinning up. At some point, the car starts moving. While sometimes, this needs really dedicate control of the throttle; otherwise, the car will jump.

This is what I have experienced.

In terms of the low speed shifting jerk, I did some study and thought it was the typical weakness of the dual-clutch transmission. Some car manufacturers add the torque converter to smooth it, but I do not think Audi does it on Q5.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 rough transmission summary