Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

GTechniq or Opti Coat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTechniq or Opti Coat?

Thoughts on the two? Looking for paint protection, doing lots of reading. No clear cut winner.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Munchpup
Thoughts on the two? Looking for paint protection, doing lots of reading. No clear cut winner.
You might also try posting this over on the Detailing forum. There is a lot of info on coatings over there.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Munchpup
I got Gtechniq's crystal serum, and I'm impressed with the look everyday. Opti and a Gtechniq are completely different though. Gtechniq is closer to a glass-like coating, so it keeps a shiner look.

Both will need paint correction if done properly, even with a brand new car.

I'd recommend Gtechniq, but I'd suggest you research both and then make your decision.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I've got OptiCoat on one car, CQuartz UK on another and Duragloss's Enviroshield on a third. If I were starting over today, I'd be taking a hard look at Optimum's new Gloss_Coat or the 22ple. In terms of great appearance, the CQuartz UK is by far the best of the products I've sampled.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the Gtechniq's crystal serum and love it. Glass like finish and my SQ5 actually stays looking cleaner longer (and I have the Phantom Black). The hardest part of washing it now is trying to keep it wet during the process.

You can click the link in my signature to see more pics.

Sky reflection on my hood:

Old 09-05-2014, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Happy with Gtechniq on my Q5 and S6

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...black-2866136/
Old 09-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's my MY14 Ice Silver SQ5 just after it was detailed and received the Opti-Coat Pro treatment from about 3 weeks ago - very happy with the results; the hydrophobic properties are amazing...almost seems to self clean with rain. Expecting these results to last for years.

Last edited by jcdias; 09-06-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcdias
Here's my MY14 Ice Silver SQ5 just after it was detailed and received the OptCoat Pro treatment from about 3 weeks ago - very happy with the results; the hydrophobic properties are amazing...almost seems to self clean with rain.
Question, guys . . . Opti-Coat 2.0 and Opti-Coat Pro, are they the same thing? I plan to get my Q5 done with Opti-Coat when it is delivered next month. Been reading about Opti-Coat 2.0 being discontinued, and Opti-Gloss being the replacement, but I don't want a coating that only lasts a couple of years and then has to be redone.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by metta
Question, guys . . . Opti-Coat 2.0 and Opti-Coat Pro, are they the same thing? I plan to get my Q5 done with Opti-Coat when it is delivered next month. Been reading about Opti-Coat 2.0 being discontinued, and Opti-Gloss being the replacement, but I don't want a coating that only lasts a couple of years and then has to be redone.
From my understanding (after considerable research), Opti-Coat 2.0 and Pro are different products from both an application and component perspective. While 2.0 is/was able to be purchased by any consumer, the Pro version is only available for purchase to specifically licensed Auto Detail shops...the results of both products are also described as being different; if I recall correctly 2.0 should last for 1-3 years depending on several factors (i.e. vehicle is garaged, environmentals etc.); PRO's protection should last the life of the car - although my Detailer says that should read more like 3-5 years, again your mileage may vary based on many various environmental conditions.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The Gtechniq serum coating comes with a 5 year paint warranty. Can only be installed by authorized detailers.

Quick Reply: GTechniq or Opti Coat?