Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 TDI First Oil change issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Q5 TDI First Oil change issues

Dear all,

I need some help. I brought the Q5 for the first oil change to the dealer, because it was complimentary . It went OK, they said they did oil change, tire rotation and add blue top off.

When I took the car out and tried to see what the oil levels on board reads, i had no reading. Ohh well, sometimes it takes certain time or miles driven or temperature...... to get a read. In 15 minutes of normal driving, I checked again. This time oil level showed empty bar, but no warning. here I got a bit concerned and when i went home I checked the dipstick. Yes, that one , thank you spijun . It was exactly at the Max level (picture). I decided just to wait and see. Next day, Saturday, after ~75 miles driven came the warning Light and the message that I need to add a quart of oil. Not cool . I was on the highway. So. once again, I check the dipstick - still at the max level as seen on picture. Needless to say, I have not added more oil yet.

Here is also the VagCom scan data from today:

Address 01: Engine (8K5 907 401 J)

12:31:18
424 Oil fill level 44.260 mm
425 Oil level; condition for static measurement fulfilled 1
426 Oil level; dynamic average value 131.068 mm
427 Oil level; last valid dynamic value -9.168 mm
428 Oil level; static measurement -6.496 mm
431 Oil warning threshold 41.572 mm

I do not see any leak underneath the car. Granted, I had not removed the guard yet, but if there was a quart leaked out, I must have seen something.

Please advise.
Attached Images    
Old 08-17-2014, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few thoughts FWIW...

When you got your dipstick, I assume you compared the level on the dipstick with the MMI level (prior to the oil change) to make sure they matched? (I.e. to verify you got the right one.) In my case, I got one too long and had to calibrate it with the MMI's oil level and known amount of oil I put in. I always put in a 1/2 quart low (6.2 qts) just to verify the MMI is doing its job, then top off later. So far at least, the MMI has been dead on.

Did the service dept receipt say 6.7 quarts (or 6.4 liters) of oil?

Obviously, this error is on the dealer. Either a screwed-up oil change, bad oil level sensor, or perhaps a software issue. Give 'em a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Edit: And then there's the ol' forgetting to tighten the drain plug, but like you said, one would think you'd see evidence in the driveway. If you can't be sure you have the right dipstick (i.e. can trust your reading), I probably wouldn't drive it until I talked with the dealer first.

Last edited by brutus23079; 08-17-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default The following from Audi may help...

Originally Posted by tdifan
Dear all,

I need some help. I brought the Q5 for the first oil change to the dealer, because it was complimentary . It went OK, they said they did oil change, tire rotation and add blue top off.

When I took the car out and tried to see what the oil levels on board reads, i had no reading. Ohh well, sometimes it takes certain time or miles driven or temperature...... to get a read. In 15 minutes of normal driving, I checked again. This time oil level showed empty bar, but no warning. here I got a bit concerned and when i went home I checked the dipstick. Yes, that one , thank you spijun . It was exactly at the Max level (picture). I decided just to wait and see. Next day, Saturday, after ~75 miles driven came the warning Light and the message that I need to add a quart of oil. Not cool . I was on the highway. So. once again, I check the dipstick - still at the max level as seen on picture. Needless to say, I have not added more oil yet.

Here is also the VagCom scan data from today:

Address 01: Engine (8K5 907 401 J)

12:31:18
424 Oil fill level 44.260 mm
425 Oil level; condition for static measurement fulfilled 1
426 Oil level; dynamic average value 131.068 mm
427 Oil level; last valid dynamic value -9.168 mm
428 Oil level; static measurement -6.496 mm
431 Oil warning threshold 41.572 mm

I do not see any leak underneath the car. Granted, I had not removed the guard yet, but if there was a quart leaked out, I must have seen something.

Please advise.

I think you need to run the Q5 a little longer on the road and stop opening the hood (bonnet) or resets take place.

Dynamic measurement is subject to at least 50 km being travelled (100 km for 4-cyl. diesel engines); it may be considerably longer with a heavy driving style. This is also the case for short-distance drivers who frequently open the bonnet
Summary:The customer will not see any oil level display!
Accuracy: 250 ml
Note: ignition must be turned on
Audi ATU

The electronic oil level displayDescription of "Dynamic measurement" system

Measurement takes place while the car is in motion

Conditions required: v > 5 km/h, n < 3000 diesel, 4000 petrol, engine oil temperature (TOEL) > 60°C, distance travelled min. 50 km (100 km for 4-cyl. diesel engines), 1000 measured values

Quality characteristic map for longitudinal and lateral acceleration; signals are weighted differently (factor 0–3)
"Good" signals are rated 3-fold; "bad" ones 0–1-fold (when accelerating quickly)

Minimum of 2 characteristic maps for engaged oil pump

Gradient filter for sensor raw signal (suppress if the sensor signal changes too quickly)

Difference between sensor value and characteristic map (n/TOEL) causes a value x mm over min.

A summation across X measured values shows a new measured value every approx. 50 km or 100 km

Display in the MMI remains unchanged until a new measured value has been formed or the bonnet has been open for more than 30 secs. A measured value < 0 triggers a min. warning, which is displayed in the DIS and MMI

Opening the bonnet triggers a min. warning reset; if more than 0.25 l has been added, the min. warning will be permanently withdrawn, in all other cases it will be triggered again after 50 km (100 km for 4-cyl. diesel engines) (refill hysteresis)
Audi ATU

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 08-17-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: update
Old 08-17-2014, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you Bob,

Forgive me for ignorance - what do you call bonnet? The hood itself or the plastic engine cover. in any rate - by no means I am opening (have been) the hood every 10 minutes .

I will drive the car for a few days and see. Actually, this is what I did when I saw the level on the MMI, measured with the dipstick and drove for about 75-80 miles without opening the hood. Only then, with no hood opening, did the warning light come up.

Once again, thanks!
Old 08-17-2014, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Brutus, no, I did not calibrate it. never thought I have to. At least, a very knowledgeable forum member (spijun) here posted the part number for this engine and I got it from ECS.

Even if I did, how was I supposed to be absolutely sure that the computer itself is right . There are too many electronics in these cars and half of them are reading wrong 75% of the times ))). Having driven VW/Audis for the past 15 years, believe me, this is what my impression has been.

Next - I am veeeery curious to hear from members if they were given exact report (printed) as of the exact brand, specs (507) and most importantly - volume of their oil changes. Certainly, I have n't - ever! Even when I actually drove the car to the dealer yesterda (Saturday), one of the techs came ready to add more oil from a 2-3 galong jug with absolutely no sings as of the oil brand on it. I don't know if the gas engines use the same oil, but he had no clue as of the specs of the oil he was ready to poor in. Obviously - I did not let him do that ..
Old 08-17-2014, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lol! Understand TDIfan. I just threw out some worst case scenario thoughts. Sounds like you have it well under control.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Hood, bonnet is for the european people, and others.

Originally Posted by tdifan
Thank you Bob,

Forgive me for ignorance - what do you call bonnet? The hood itself or the plastic engine cover. in any rate - by no means I am opening (have been) the hood every 10 minutes .

I will drive the car for a few days and see. Actually, this is what I did when I saw the level on the MMI, measured with the dipstick and drove for about 75-80 miles without opening the hood. Only then, with no hood opening, did the warning light come up.

Once again, thanks!
Hood I live in the US.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

"Bonnet" and "boot"....thank Heavens for Top Gear or I'd be guessing too. And then there's the "BMW Zed-4".....the what? Crazy Europeans....not that they think any different of us. Lol.

So tdifan, before this turns into a full-blown international thread-hijack, let us know what you find out.

Last edited by brutus23079; 08-17-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Definitely I will . I am waiting for the call fro service tomorrow.

Bob, I live on this site of the pond too (right next to a pond, as a matter of fact). Never called it any other way than a hood . Anyway, whatever it is, I am not opening it fort the next 100 miles . Also, how do you read the oil levels data I got fro VagCom? The question actually is, how do I "calibrate" the dipstick if it, too long? Thanks!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brutus23079
"Bonnet" and "boot"....thank Heavens for Top Gear or I'd be guessing too. And then there's the "BMW Zed-4".....the what? Crazy Europeans....not that they think any different of us. Lol.
Love the original UK version of that show!
...and let's not forget ZEE Germans!

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 TDI First Oil change issues