Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

ADS - Question... Dynamic vs S mode...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADS - Question... Dynamic vs S mode...

So I have a question regarding Audi Drive Select (ADS). If you put the transmission control in Dynamic mode is this the same as driving in S-mode all the time?

Or does it just make the accelerator more sensitive and keep the normal D-mode RPM shifting characteristics?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wrcardon
So I have a question regarding Audi Drive Select (ADS). If you put the transmission control in Dynamic mode is this the same as driving in S-mode all the time?

Or does it just make the accelerator more sensitive and keep the normal D-mode RPM shifting characteristics?
Not sure about the technicalities, but transitioning to dynamic mode is accompanied by a change to S mode in my Q5.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's too bad. Would I wish I could get is the S-mode quick shifting, the S-mode sensitivity of the accelerator pedal (comfort/D-mode seems to have a delay when initially pushing down on the pedal), but with the economy and low rpm shift points of comfort (for the added MPG).
Old 10-21-2013, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are separate...
When selecting dynamic, it defaults to S, however if you then use the stick to put it back in D you do maintain the throttle map of dynamic but with softer/earlier gear shifts.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

My ADS summary from an earlier thread:.

In a nutshell (for non-active suspension models) - applies to most U.S. later/current ADS equipped models:

The ADS has four driving modes in the MMI:
Comfort
Auto
Dynamic
Individual

The first three automatically set software directed maps for the throttle response, transmission gearing, steering effort, auto cruise control (if equipped) and seat belt tensioner. Individual allows for setting each of the those parameters to Comfort, Auto or Dynamic mode.

Comfort will provide for best fuel economy and smoother driving by changing upshifting gears sooner/downshifting later, a more sedate throttle response (more travel to the gas pedal for a given amount of gas if you will) and a lighter steering effort. Also a more "relaxed" seat belt tensioner. (See below for ACC).
Dynamic will provide a sportier feel by holding in each gear longer, up or down, sportier throttle (more fuel applied for less pedal travel), a greater steering effort and a more aggressive seat belt tensioner. (See below for ACC).
Auto for the gear and throttle mapping is strangely, actually the same as the Comfort mode. Steering will be weighted somewhere in between Dynamic and Comfort however.
Individual can set the parameters above to taste.

In cars equipped with ACC (Automatic Cruise Control), the Comfort, and Dynamic settings will determine the rate at which the car will speed up or slow down as the detected car in front changes its speed (and based on the ACC distance setting on the steering wheel stalk). ACC can be set in the Individual mode as well.

Also note that the D/S setting on the gearshift lever will override any ADS setting, i.e. D=Auto and S=Dynamic modes for throttle and gear mapping only; ACC (if equipped), steering and seat belt tensioners remain defaulted to the ADS setting in the MMI. (There is NO difference for throttle AND gear mapping in D or S from respective Comfort/Auto or Dynamic settings in the MMI).

Some Audi models (and many models in ROW) may include additional ADS settings (adaptive suspension, for example).
Old 12-26-2013, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive Select Review

I have finally been able to put some seat time in the Q5. (It is the wife's daily so I do not get to drive it very much)

Here are my thoughts on the ADS system:

Individual - My individual settings are: Suspension - Comfort, Steering - Dynamic, Engine/Trans - Comfort (with the use of S when necessary)

Comfort Setting - I like the ride in the comfort setting for tooling around town. Nice and smooth and it handles road issues easy. I agree with several others, the shift from 1st to 2nd is drug out. My wife has never complained, but it is not linear and smooth like the rest of the gear changes. The steering is also good for long trips.

Dynamic Setting - The ride is firm but I find it a little harsh, especially with the 20's. Test drove a ADS Q5 with 19's and the ride was firm but not harsh like it is with the 20's. Now to say that, on a road with some good curves, the body roll is kept to a minimum and makes you forget that you are throwing around a SUV. I love the upshifts on the gear box, but I do not like the downshifts. The downshifts, while smooth, are noticeable with each blip of the tranny. Steering is great in town and out playing on back roads, but too tiring on long highway trips.

Auto Setting - Until this last road trip, I have not used this setting. I did not want the car to have control of the settings. I was wrong. This is now my favorite setting. The ride is firm and it handles curves well but is also very comfortable for rougher roads. While the first shift from a standstill is still noticeable, it is much smoother compared to Comfort. The steering also seemed to be the best of the bunch. I had some of that notchyness that others have reported (in both Comfort and Dynamic), but Auto has taken it out.

Just my two sense in case it helps anyone else out. I originally thought about saving the money and skipping the S-Line Plus package with ADS, but I am glad that I did not. To me, well worth it.