Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2015 Q5 Downshift Jerk ? Window Rattling ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Q5 Downshift Jerk ? Window Rattling ?

Hi everyone,

New Audi owner with a 2015 Q5 2.0 P+ (1200 miles so far) & with a couple of concerns.

1) I notice an abrupt downshift when slowing down around 20-15mph causing a slight jerk every time - at first I thought the car was adapting to my driving style but 1200 miles later same issue.

2) Window rattling when on rough surfaces or at higher speeds. Same thing happens with music at moderate bass - However when i figured out when i apply pressure to the window it minimizes the noise. It may be the rubber moldings ?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks !
Old 07-25-2014, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm hearing small rattle near pillar B on driver side. Could be window I don't know. It gets worse when driver window is open.

Nothing important but I'll ask to check at first oil change.

I agree with you, sometimes 8-speed tranny can be jerky a little yes. I'm used to dual-clutch smoothness (clutch). I think the tranny likes to downshift like a manual transmission (engaged), so it can be jerky. But I'm sure there is no harm, it can handle a lot. Though, it's not super confortable. On the SQ5, I think software is different than Q5 though.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sonicboom
Hi everyone,

New Audi owner with a 2015 Q5 2.0 P+ (1200 miles so far) & with a couple of concerns.

1) I notice an abrupt downshift when slowing down around 20-15mph causing a slight jerk every time - at first I thought the car was adapting to my driving style but 1200 miles later same issue.

2) Window rattling when on rough surfaces or at higher speeds. Same thing happens with music at moderate bass - However when i figured out when i apply pressure to the window it minimizes the noise. It may be the rubber moldings? since the noise hasn't come back, i am worried to open up sunroof again....so i have been leaving closed for the past 5 weeks since i pushed it down when it retracts.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks !
yes, i have both issues on my 2013 audi q5 2.0....
1) doesn't happen all the time and it doens't matter when the engine is hot or cold....

2) i have small squeaky noise coming above passenger side b-pillar...it's the panoramic sunroof....even with sunroof lubration applied by the dealer, noise is still there...only happened when i hit a pot hole....

however, i think i solved it by opening up the sunroof and while it's closing...i apply pressure on the top of the glass and push it down when it retracts....and the noise is gone...i think it's rubber molding that wasn't completely closed and the noise comes from the gap...

dealer told me in order to fix it they need to remove the whole roof frame which could take up to 12 hours of labor.....

Last edited by pkalltheway2000; 07-25-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hi sonicboom,

Do you still have the issue #1? I just bough 2015 Q5 and I have same experiences. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I get a little bit of engine lugging while coasting to a stop from maybe 20-25mph. But on my first Q5 (a '12), I would get a pretty violent and quick downshift when quickly decelerating from about 25-30 mph. Took it to the dealer and 3 weeks and $13k later they had it fixed... maybe? Never told me what happened, but I wasn't about to take that vehicle back. If you're not sure what's going on, I'd take the vehicle in -- if it's not reliably reproducible that may be problematic.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is this the same issue that the 034 Motorsport Transmission Mount Insert is supposed to address?
Old 10-23-2014, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by pdlx
hi sonicboom,

Do you still have the issue #1? I just bough 2015 Q5 and I have same experiences. Thanks!
So I still deal with the issue to this day. I have gotten a bit used to it but it is annoying.

Audi service has told me that that they cant replicate it and what I describe to them is normal but having driven a few loaner Q5's I have not experienced the same. And if it is normal it is definitely not desirable and this will be my last Audi if this is in fact "normal".

I feel as if in the past month I have read about 5 threads with maybe about 10 or so people experiencing the same thing. If this is something that each person brings about to Audi Customer Service it may be taken more seriously.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

In my case, the rattle is from the plastic piece on the B-pillar. (on the exterior of the car between front and rear windows...)
Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

A rough 2->1 downshift is apparently fairly common, and after I complained to the dealer that I could and did do better manually on a stick shift, it magically got smoothed out. I expect there is something in the transmission's computer ("Mechatronic") that can be programmed to adjust the shift point.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sonicboom
[snip]

I feel as if in the past month I have read about 5 threads with maybe about 10 or so people experiencing the same thing. If this is something that each person brings about to Audi Customer Service it may be taken more seriously.
Weird. I've been experiencing the same thing. Not very often - probably about once every 100 miles or so. Some combination of coasting, going about 20 mph and maybe traveling downhill causes it to happen.

As long as it doesn't snag me at highway speeds, I'm inclined to live with it.

Quick Reply: 2015 Q5 Downshift Jerk ? Window Rattling ?