Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2015 Q5 Downshift Jerk ? Window Rattling ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Downshift jerk - I just experienced it twice, but seems only right after starting the car, then I tried to replicate and I could not do so. New Q5 with 140 miles on it.

Maybe the computer is learning?

I'm not too concern as it is at low speeds and low revs, so it probably is not to rough on the gears or engine. I will talk to the Audi center just in case.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all, here are some updates:

I went to audi dealer 2 days ago, technician tested drive the car with me, I was in the passenger seat. I can feel the jerk(not as strong as I drive) when he applied the break around 19-20 mph. But he said it's normal for downshift and it's the character of audi.
I complained to the manager, asked them to drive my car for few days and double check it. They agreed to give me loaner Q5(2014 model). After driving the loaner q5 for 2 days, I feel same thing although it's slightly better than my 2015 Q5. Guess it's common for Q5? I am not sure what dealer will reply to me.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

if you do a search of this forum you will find hundreds of threads about this topic. At the end of the day you have 2 choices from my understanding.
1. Live with it
2. Get a different car

All of the issues I have had so far those have been the options. Though the dealer has been nice I have heard "they all do that" or "just the way Audi is" about 10 times from them and the forums seem to have people getting told the same thing.

I love the car just takes a lot of getting use to its quirks.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 034 motorsports transmission mount insert addresses this issue. It might be worthwhile spending the $75 if it bothers you that much.

034Motorsport Transmission Mount Insert, B8 Audi A4/S4/RS4, A5/S5/RS5, Q5/SQ5 Billet Aluminum - 034-509-4014 - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen
Old 11-19-2014, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hilld
I think the 034 motorsports transmission mount insert addresses this issue. It might be worthwhile spending the $75 if it bothers you that much.

034Motorsport Transmission Mount Insert, B8 Audi A4/S4/RS4, A5/S5/RS5, Q5/SQ5 Billet Aluminum - 034-509-4014 - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen
X2

A few members on here have it installed and have noticed it reducing the jerk substantially... Be warned though, the Q5 transmission doesn't downshift smoothly normally and it is a common complaint.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got my car back and dealer said it's normal. that's what I expected from them. lol. They said they reset something and the car will re-learn in few hundred of miles. Not sure that will help anyway.

Thank you very much for this link. I will give it a try for sure. Does dealer install this or people do the DIY? Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a 100% DIY install, will take you all of 2 minutes. You do have to get the correct tool first, it is called a triple square driver/socket, I believe the correct size is 10mm. It is also know in the industry as an XZN type of driver.

Here is a link to an assortment set:
Vim Products 9 Piece XZN Triple Square, Spline Drive Bit Set VIMXZN400: Purchase the best Socket Set - SAE Only at Advance Auto Parts

Full disclosure, I have not tried any VIM tools in the past, but didn't want to scare you with high prices by linking to Snap-On or Hazet sets.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, our Q5 gets that slightly rougher downshift jerk as well, but it's not really all that bad.

However, I also noticed when you first start the car up and take off in the morning, the first shift from 1st to 2nd (I think) is also very rough... the trans holds that first gear long and then somewhat violently drops into 2nd. Has anyone else noticed this? This is more jerky than the downshift that is the subject of this thread.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is a 100% DIY install, will take you all of 2 minutes. You do have to get the correct tool first, it is called a triple square driver/socket, I believe the correct size is 10mm. It is also know in the industry as an XZN type of driver.

Here is a link to an assortment set:
Vim Products 9 Piece XZN Triple Square, Spline Drive Bit Set VIMXZN400: Purchase the best Socket Set - SAE Only at Advance Auto Parts

Full disclosure, I have not tried any VIM tools in the past, but didn't want to scare you with high prices by linking to Snap-On or Hazet sets.
Thank you very much again! I will give it a try and report back later...
Old 11-11-2015, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default what is the options besides learning the quirks of the car

Originally Posted by sonicboom
Hi everyone,

New Audi owner with a 2015 Q5 2.0 P+ (1200 miles so far) & with a couple of concerns.

1) I notice an abrupt downshift when slowing down around 20-15mph causing a slight jerk every time - at first I thought the car was adapting to my driving style but 1200 miles later same issue.

2) Window rattling when on rough surfaces or at higher speeds. Same thing happens with music at moderate bass - However when i figured out when i apply pressure to the window it minimizes the noise. It may be the rubber moldings ?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks !
I am a new Audi owner with 2014 Q5 2.0T.
1) yes, I have noticed with the downshift jerking problem. It is specially noticeable when you just let the car come to a full stop from 15 miles/h without applying brakes at all. When the gear is doing the deceleration, I can feel the downshift very clearly.
2) yes, mine is not the window but the A pillar. I heard something is resonating when the car was in idle. But it is gone once the car is moving.
The problem is what is the options besides learning the quirks of the car. There is plenty of people complaining and "It's really a shame that automakers haven't been able to figure out these fancy gearboxes" and even calling it "characteristics of the car". Quote from this review done by Autoweek.

2014 Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI Premium Plus review notes | Autoweek

And yes it is annoying and uncomfortable and sadly there is no remedy around it.

Quick Reply: 2015 Q5 Downshift Jerk ? Window Rattling ?