Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2015 Q5 GPS Cutout

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:24 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 2015 Q5 GPS Cutout

So this weekend we went on vacation and took the Q. It stayed parked in a structure for 2 days. When we got in it and then left the structure we noticed the GPS was way off and showed us in the middle of nowhere. I popped into the green menu and saw it didn't have a fix on any satellites. Despite restarting the MMI twice it did not fix the problem. An hour later we pulled over to have lunch and left the car off for about an hour. Upon returning and turning the car on, the Nav got a lock and was now showing our position correctly. I just assumed it was the parking garage that made it hiccup. Fast forward 2 hours into our drive home and the GPS lost its lock again and showed us in the middle of nowhere. Right in the middle of the drive. The Nav was useless the rest of the way home. The car was parked overnight and the Nav is now working properly again today. Overheating issue? Does anyone have any insight as to what may cause this? We were in Vegas and it was 110 outside. But that would t account for why it worked after parking it for lunch as the interior temp in the car surely rose above the ambient outside while sitting.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Put limited trust in the gps system. There are routine interruptions for maintenance and military testing, and although no one will discuss this without legitimate "need to know" security clearance, the system sometimes goes down due to interference, which may be malice or may just be some fleet driver who doesn't want to be monitored for an hour or two. Or, a spouse leaving home and not wanting to be tracked. Jammers are still $200-300 online. Once your system has been upset, it could take what seem like forever to get back in sync.

Personally? This past month I've had the GPS on my phone (Google Maps) tell me "GPS signal lost" at least ten times, sadly while on road trips and NEEDING the next turn. Manwhile a Magellan dedicated GPS wasn't complaining at all. (And I have no reason to think the phone is broken.)

GPS? Great. But always have a fallback, they are supposed to fail at times. Hopefuly, short and limited times.

Of course since it is under warranty, you might ask them to test and replace the antenna, the connecting cable, and the head unit. Any part of the system could be the problem.

Last edited by Redd; 08-08-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
So this weekend we went on vacation and took the Q. It stayed parked in a structure for 2 days. When we got in it and then left the structure we noticed the GPS was way off and showed us in the middle of nowhere. I popped into the green menu and saw it didn't have a fix on any satellites. Despite restarting the MMI twice it did not fix the problem. An hour later we pulled over to have lunch and left the car off for about an hour. Upon returning and turning the car on, the Nav got a lock and was now showing our position correctly. I just assumed it was the parking garage that made it hiccup. Fast forward 2 hours into our drive home and the GPS lost its lock again and showed us in the middle of nowhere. Right in the middle of the drive. The Nav was useless the rest of the way home. The car was parked overnight and the Nav is now working properly again today. Overheating issue? Does anyone have any insight as to what may cause this? We were in Vegas and it was 110 outside. But that would t account for why it worked after parking it for lunch as the interior temp in the car surely rose above the ambient outside while sitting.
Had this happened to me too. Yesterday it did when we were coming back from the game but then it ifxed itself. Took some pictures of it while driving. Did it today as well and then it fixed itself. Some time ago it got completly lost in the downtown PDX. Going to email my service manager see what he says. My dealer has been top class so far.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Club AutoUnion

Thanks for the replies. Yeah it's not doing it right now and I figured it's going to be one of those little gremlins that remedies itself the second you drive into the service bay.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

This is a known widespread issue with the MMI 3G+. It has a hardware flaw. There's a piece of insulation between the AC and the MMI head unit. It comes loose over time and then the AC starts interfering with the MMI. It's particularly noticeable if the AC is on full blast. To fix it you need a redesigned 5F module. I had this issue in my RS5 and after the module was replaced, all is good. It took Audi over two years to find and fix this issue. Below is the info from my invoice.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by superswiss
This is a known widespread issue with the MMI 3G+. It has a hardware flaw. There's a piece of insulation between the AC and the MMI head unit. It comes loose over time and then the AC starts interfering with the MMI. It's particularly noticeable if the AC is on full blast. To fix it you need a redesigned 5F module. I had this issue in my RS5 and after the module was replaced, all is good. It took Audi over two years to find and fix this issue. Below is the info from my invoice.

Thanks. I looked up my 5F and I already have the 746F. Our Q is a '15.