Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2015 Q5 Progressiv Can't Stream Audio via Bluetooth!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Q5 Progressiv Can't Stream Audio via Bluetooth!

I am learning that, although I can easily connect my iPhone to my new Q5 via Bluetooth, for some reason I cannot stream music from it. Apparently I need to have Nav. in order to stream music over Bluetooth

Does anybody else find this absolutely insane? Did anybody else's sales person forget to mention this while they were asking the difference between trim lines, packages, etc?

I am astonished that Audi would design the radio like this, but there must be a good reason for it. Does anybody know why this is the case?

Headshakes.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apparently what is needed is the Bluetooth Audio Player, and that is something that's only built into MMI, but not the base non-MMI radio.

I believe you can buy a third party adapter to enable BT audio streaming with the stock radio, based on prior discussions I've seen here. Probably something like this: Amazon.com: ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000 - Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adapter for Car Audio Integration: Cell Phones & Accessories but maybe someone else can guide you, before you pull the trigger. You will also need an AMI cable, but your dealer should have given you one if you bought the car new.

Also, see this thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ight=bluetooth

There are many other threads like this.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 07-30-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm using Tune2Air(the same one that was mentioned) that plugs in to the AMI cable in the glove box to stream music on my 2014 Q5 from iPhone using bluetooth. It works fine although it's not as smooth of an experience as the MMI native streaming.

You don't need a separate cable for iPhone. Just plug in that and connect your phone
Old 07-31-2015, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by teatime
I'm using Tune2Air(the same one that was mentioned) that plugs in to the AMI cable in the glove box to stream music on my 2014 Q5 from iPhone using bluetooth. It works fine although it's not as smooth of an experience as the MMI native streaming.

You don't need a separate cable for iPhone. Just plug in that and connect your phone
For now I have thrown an old 32gb iPod in my glove box and will just leave it in there. This actually isn't that bad a solution since I get full control over the iPod from the car and I connect my phone via Bluetooth for phone calls. This saves my phone battery from playing music too. I guess the downside is no streaming apps like Spotify, etc.

A dedicated iPod in the car is fine with me, just kind of a pain to get it synch'd. Hopefully the wifi will reach the driveway and I can have it synch without bringing it inside.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No Bluetooth audio without MMI? I didn't know this was a thing... That's pretty damn ridiculous. Even your cheapest cars come with streaming Bluetooth
Old 07-31-2015, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quattroa4_2.0T
For now I have thrown an old 32gb iPod in my glove box and will just leave it in there. This actually isn't that bad a solution since I get full control over the iPod from the car and I connect my phone via Bluetooth for phone calls. This saves my phone battery from playing music too.
The added benefit of this is that sound quality is better than when streaming over BT.

Some people just get a AMI USB cable and plug in a large USB flash drive with music, then occasionally bring it home and copy some new content on it, which is just drag-and-drop type thing. Or you can just use a large SD card, like I do.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Now I'll start by saying, I really like this SQ5, its truly an impressive vehicle.
That being said, I'm in absolutely jaw dropping awe to discover that there is no USB interface for audio, the $1000 upgraded B&O system doesn't recognize lossless audio codecs???? and no AC outlets in the car, in a "2016" top of the line Audi? I can hardly believe it.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by teatime

The Tune2Air is like a wireless iPod connector. Interfaces well with the Apple iPod functionality in an iPhone. If you have Android phone, it is overkill since you will only get bluetooth audio streaming. A device such as the below is a cheaper solution:

Amazon.com: Mpow® Bluetooth A2DP Music Audio Receiver Adapter for Bose Sounddock and 30-Pin iPod iPhone Dock Speaker: Movies & TV Amazon.com: Mpow® Bluetooth A2DP Music Audio Receiver Adapter for Bose Sounddock and 30-Pin iPod iPhone Dock Speaker: Movies & TV

It plugs into the Audi 30-pin iPhone adapter cable.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default BIG thumbs down to Auid on this

Streaming bluetooth audio is not possible on the basic sound system on 2015 Audis. It's ridiculous but you can only do that if you have the upgraded navigation/sound system. BIG thumbs down to Audi. I purchased a 2015 Allroad and was very dissapointed to find this out after the fact. I take the blame for not fully researching the car but I ASSUMED it had basic luxury amentites in the car. Thank god it came standard with turn signals, lights and seat belts. (Just kidding) Frankly, I would've passed on the car just out of principal since most ALL cars have this as a standard feature now. I was forced to order the tune2air adapter but it's only fully functional with Apple products. If you use Windows or Droid phones then you can only play music with no display or control funcitons. Audi certainly has this technology as it came standard in my 2014 VW Jetta. Again, BIG THUMBS DOWN TO AUID FOR THIS.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Bluetooth streaming issue resolution

Hey guys just checking in to give my two cents. I recently purchased a b8 s4 and fell among the ranks with everyone else who was floored about the lack of BT integration. I did a bit of research and this is what worked for me. I literally got it working with just the adapter and 5 minutes of watching thee videos.

I bought the 30-pin Bluetooth 4.0 A2DP Receiver from Add Bluetooth A2DP Streaming to your Audi - A2DP4AUDI - Audi Bluetooth Adapters .. just the module though not the cable.

Then I followed the directions on this video:
the guy basically switches the way the car utilizes the information coming from the cable. I kind of equated it to almost jailbreaking the Audi MMI system. You don't need any outside formatting systems, just follow the video

To reach that green menu I followed this video:
.. mind you I've only had the car for about a week and have zero experience with this and I was able to do it. I promise it is not difficult. Give it a shot!

Quick Reply: 2015 Q5 Progressiv Can't Stream Audio via Bluetooth!