Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 Q5 bang&Olufsen vs regular radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read a lot of complaints about the B&O sound quality prior to receiving my car a few months back. SQ was not impressive using the iPod cable, but switching to using the SD card slots (and the jukebox function apparently) per the recommendations on this forum, generates very good sound quality with nice clarity and imaging. I never found the bass lacking, but I like a smooth, well blended bottom end as opposed to something that kicks in and screams SUUUUUUUUUUUUBWOOFER.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I tested the base radio and the b&g using same music of different genre in same parking and road. We noticed a difference when car was parked but could not when on the road. We normally talk, etc. while driving so the b&g was not worth the $900 to us. I can see that others with a better ear than us can appreciate the b&g more than us. Hope that this helps
Old 11-04-2015, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you all for your advice...

So does the base system come with an AMP and /or smaller sub ?

I guess I would have to listen to both and judge for myself

In Canada the BO isn't even available as an option on the progressiv model , I would have to get tecnik model. So I am torn
Old 11-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just listening to Sirius does not do it justice but with an iPod or SD card the system sounds really really good. Obviously I would like a little more performance out of it but if I had it to do over again, B&O would be on the must have list. If you truly love music and have an awesome library, then get it.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a frugal type and the base Q5 loaner radio sounded the same as my B&O (did not spec order) while listening to Sirius. Pretty tinny no matter the fine tuning. But streaming music from the phone is a whole other story. I never considered myself a music lover but since realizing what the B&O could do my phone's library has grown exponentially.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

B&O upgrade for $800 or so is a no brainer. My prior Q5 P+ had standard Tech / MMI / Audio. My 2011 A4 and 2014 Q5 have B&O and it is much better. Consider that in an A6 or above B&O costs $4,000. Not the same equipment, but I think the Q5 B&O has the value!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Totally agree. Sirius sounds crappy no matter what equipment you hear it on. The old saying, "Garbage in...Garbage out" definitely holds true in this case.
To better judge the sound quality, I suggest using a cd of known quality or an mp3 recorded in HD.

Originally Posted by kreativecid
I'm a frugal type and the base Q5 loaner radio sounded the same as my B&O (did not spec order) while listening to Sirius. Pretty tinny no matter the fine tuning. But streaming music from the phone is a whole other story. I never considered myself a music lover but since realizing what the B&O could do my phone's library has grown exponentially.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

When you order the B&O option for $900 in the Q5, is it just a speaker change or speakers and radio change?
Old 11-06-2015, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
When you order the B&O option for $900 in the Q5, is it just a speaker change or speakers and radio change?
Amps + speakers as far as I understand. Quote from Audi website:
True-to-life surround sound reproduction via 14 high-performance speakers, a 15-channel amplifier and a total output of 705 watts. The front door speakers also feature LED lighting for a sensational experience.

Last edited by asmi84; 11-06-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator787
In Canada the BO isn't even available as an option on the progressiv model , I would have to get tecnik model. So I am torn
I was in the same boat as you (ordering SQ5 in Canada). I'd put it this way - if you'll order things from Technik trim anyways (and there are useful options like side assist, or adaptive headlights, or rear heated seats, among others), ordering B&O seems like a no-brainer, but I wouldn't go up to Technik just to get B&O.

Quick Reply: 2016 Q5 bang&Olufsen vs regular radio