Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 Q5 bang&Olufsen vs regular radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure would like to know where you would flush mount (2) 10" or 12" subs in front of the spare tire. The spare pretty much fills the space up to the rear seat.🎵

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
The B&O is still not a good stereo system, but it's better than the base audio and only costs $800 to upgrade. It's pretty much a no-brainer.

The B&O system does use MOST fiber optics which means the mObridge preamps are compatible, for those people who want to upgrade the whole stereo to something that's actually good.

The Q5/SQ5 are very well designed cars for doing aftermarket audio. The dash is very deep and wide, and the stock midrange and midbass speaker locations are pretty good. The 3" midrange in the dash can be easily replaced by an aftermarket 3" midrange and/or point source coaxial. The stock midbass locations in the front doors can accomodate larger woofers quite easily, too.

The trunk has a ton of room for doing subwoofers flushed into the space in front of the tire well. If you remove the spare tire, there is even more room for larger amps, although if you were to use smaller, Class D amps you could probably keep the spare tire and still have room for a pair of 10" or 12" subwoofers down there.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't forget about $1000 wires! Anything less than that won't sound good enough!
Old 11-09-2015, 05:56 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by asmi84
Don't forget about $1000 wires! Anything less than that won't sound good enough!
Lol.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
I sure would like to know where you would flush mount (2) 10" or 12" subs in front of the spare tire. The spare pretty much fills the space up to the rear seat.🎵
In front from the perspective of standing behind the car looking in to the trunk. If you pull out the plastic tray, there is a ton of room there for a sub enclosure.

Another option is to build a subwoofer enclosure inside the spare tire. It can fit a 12" woofer in there.

Or there is room for a sub enclosure to flush into the right side cubby.

All are good options.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
B&O upgrade for $800 or so is a no brainer.
Was just poking around on the US configurator for 2016 Q + SQ. Unless I missed something, it looks like the individual B&O system option no longer exists on the 2.0, 3.0 or SQ. It is now bundled with the Technology Package for only $4,500. What a deal! The tech package is standard on the Prestige so I guess there's that.

• Technology package
o Voice control
o Audi connect®
o Bang & Olufsen® Sound System
o HD Radio™ Technology
o Parking system plus with rear view camera (front and rear acoustic parking sensors)
o Single CD/DVD player
o MMI® navigation plus
o Color driver information system
o Audi side assist
$4,500

That's fine if you want all the other stuff but it's a shame they did that for people like myself who are only interested in the B&O.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The B&O is definitely a step up from the base. It has its faults, but in terms of systems that come pre-installed in new vehicles it's a winner. Excellent clarity on the high end, less desirable and lacking definition and punch on the low.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ60
Was just poking around on the US configurator for 2016 Q + SQ. Unless I missed something, it looks like the individual B&O system option no longer exists on the 2.0, 3.0 or SQ. It is now bundled with the Technology Package for only $4,500. What a deal! The tech package is standard on the Prestige so I guess there's that.

• Technology package
o Voice control
o Audi connect®
o Bang & Olufsen® Sound System
o HD Radio™ Technology
o Parking system plus with rear view camera (front and rear acoustic parking sensors)
o Single CD/DVD player
o MMI® navigation plus
o Color driver information system
o Audi side assist
$4,500

That's fine if you want all the other stuff but it's a shame they did that for people like myself who are only interested in the B&O.
Didn't realize that change occurred (in 2016?). I don't understand why AoA does it that way, but in terms of real dollars our US configured versions cost much less than UK or European similar configured models. So maybe the lack of choice of options (other than in packages) save us money.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audible911
The B&O is definitely a step up from the base. It has its faults, but in terms of systems that come pre-installed in new vehicles it's a winner. Excellent clarity on the high end, less desirable and lacking definition and punch on the low.
Agreed. Play with the settings to find a sound that works for you but it's really not that bad at all.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its totally worth it. Also for 2016, you'll get the technology package credit of $600 or so too .
Old 12-06-2015, 10:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What's your target price point? My sales guy can get you the same deal he got me on my SQ5 which was ~10-11% off MSRP which would make an $800 decision less of a big deal.

Quick Reply: 2016 Q5 bang&Olufsen vs regular radio