Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 Q5 common problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Thermostat and water pump seem to be an area of concern, but on the 3.0T engines, not the 2.0T, according to the mechanic I spoke with when picking up my new 2016 Q5 3.0T
Old 05-05-2016, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nate704
let's see...
my 2016 Q5 has the following issues:

1. Panoramic roof rattle - Just started, so I will be watching closely.
2. B pillar exterior black glossy trim rattle - The rattle is coming from the plastic trim which vibrates and makes contact with the actual B pillar of the chassis. Felt tape applied on the inside of the trim where it faces the B pillar. No more rattle!
3. Soft paint - you can apply 3M or Xpel protection film, but no protection for other places like door sides unless you do the entire car wrapped which will cost you $5-6K.
4. Center arm rest slides way too easily- I took it apart and applied some materials to increase the friction. (you need to be creative)
Nate....soft paint? exactly what are you doing? driving up creekbeds with branches beating the side of your vehicle? just asking.

Our 2016 is without any problems...at this point...other than the driver continues to press the accelerator much too hard.( what she says)

I am like Wisconsinguy....lovin ever minute of the driving experience.

Last edited by porttac; 05-05-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsinguy
I'm thrilled with the way mine drives and rides but I'm used to driving a 1 ton dodge truck. Ive got no complaints at all puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it.
I came from a Toyota Avalon Marshmallow and I love my Q5.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, my wife says her Q5 is by far the best car she's owned. Ride quality on our horrid roads is quite good with the (18") tires properly inflated.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porttac
Nate....soft paint? exactly what are you doing? driving up creekbeds with branches beating the side of your vehicle? just asking.

Our 2016 is without any problems...at this point...other than the driver continues to press the accelerator much too hard.( what she says)

I am like Wisconsinguy....lovin ever minute of the driving experience.
I was driving on highway and heard something hitting on my right side. I got home and checked the side of the car and found a rock chip that was deep enough to show the bare metal underneath. I just put some clear coat touch up paint. Local service advisor also told me that Audi's have soft paint, so he recommended to get a protection film.
Rattle noise started at around 9k miles and everything is fixed either by me or Audi, except the roof
Old 05-06-2016, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
Lower it, put on some beefy sway-bars that will make it stiffer and rougher and go drive the heck out of it. It's not a grocery getter....or buy a smooth, floaty, unconnected Lexus...
Yes this ^^^^

Old 05-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DAMS17
What are some of things you've taken tour Q5 in for? If they weren't under earranty, what did you pay?
I have had my Q for 14 months, it has only been to the shop for an oil change and to swap out my summer tires. I've had no rattles, leaks... the car has been a blast to drive.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2015 Q5 2.0T

Originally Posted by DAMS17
What are some of things you've taken tour Q5 in for? If they weren't under earranty, what did you pay?
I purchased my car in June 2015, in march 2016, I took the car in for an oil leak. The dealer kept saying that it is not from my car and they did not notice any oil leaks underneath the car. ( I saw three drops of oil drip in my garage). I can see a lot of oil underneath the car near the passenger side door and wheel.

There were no warnings or lights on the dash though. There is also no difference in the way the car is driving. It is ABSOLUTELY a blast to drive the car. I am very happy with the car except for that one incident. I hope that it is not a sign of a bigger problem in the future. if I experience one more issue with any oil or engine related, I am trading it in for an redesigned bmw x3 right before the warranty expires.

There is no oil leak now, it is a complete mystery for me with that single incident.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have 547 miles on our 2016 Q5. Love it. The "problem" is when on a slight incline at a stop light or stop sign, where I have stopped..when proceeding forward the vehicle hesitates .
If feels like the parking brake is on for and instant and I am feeling the release and very slight jerking motion as I go forward. No Drive Select on car and my foot is on the brake until deciding to go forward...clear as mud?
Anyway it is not a big problem but it is different than the 2012 TT (base) that I drive, no hill hold on that car. I know about hill hold, wondering if this hesitation after pressing gas pedal is just the normal for the system...phew....
Old 05-09-2016, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

chapieaudi....still having that oil leak? Did that leak go on for a number of day or longer then stop? Was the car in for an oil change just before the leak? Just trying to figure it out...

Quick Reply: 2016 Q5 common problems?