Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 Q5 -- one year in and getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 SQ5. The squeaking / rubbing steering column has been a nuisance since the beginning. It happens in direct proportion to how hot the engine bay is, either from very hot weather, stuck in traffic, or both. I've had it in three times now, to no avail...the defect always returns.
I might not mind quite as bad if I hadn't paid $60K for the car. I would have thought that in this price class, bugs like this are worked out.
As a sidenite, I also find the car to be fairly noisy. Again, luxury prices should get me a luxury car....or so I thought.
But I'll share this with you....Driving the SQ5 is the most fun you can have in an SUV!

Originally Posted by Speedooooo
Wow lots of threads on here about squeaks and rattles. 2016 3.0T here, and had her for about a year now with only 4500 miles. I also seem to be dealing to some extent with the issues you are having. I've had my car in 3 times to the dealership for the B-pillar/rear door/hinge rattle. No luck yet.

For the driver seat issue, the seat belt buckle plug (female end) seems to be rubbing up against the seat, which causes some squeaking. Wedge some fabric or apply felt sticker to the plug where it rubs and it should help.

The steering issue the dealership said that there is a grommet that supposedly needs to be lubed. They said they did it but I still have the issue. Seems like something is rubbing in the steering column. I have to go back to the dealer for this issue as well. Please post if you have any luck.
Originally Posted by Neils09
I have a 2016 Q5 that I drive infrequently -- 2200 miles so far. Despite such low and gentle use it has been a trouble child. Dealing with 2 issues right now:

1. The driver seats squeaks more than before. When I get in the seat, when I brake or move forward or shift a little in the seat --- the noise comes from lower left back and right bottom of the seat. Have taken it to dealer three times for this and every time they are not sure what it could be or say that their test drive was normal.

2. This is more annoying -- last month or so the car's steering wheel has started to squeak when I take the car out of parking after 3-4 days of sitting idle. Anytime I turn the wheel it squeaks. Gets better after 15 minutes of driving.

I am particularly sensitive to noise and rattles hence these bug me too much esp in a car this expensive.

Has anyone else dealt with similar problems in their Q5? What were the issues and what did you do to get it fixed? Any pointers would be much appreciated. At this time I don't want dealers to do anything intrusive because frankly I don't trust Audi will not end up making the problem worse.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2016, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe I just love to listen to the engine too much, so that I don't hear any rattles or whatever Every "foreign" sound in my car so far I was able to trace down to something introduced by me (like a bottle of pop makes noises when in the side door's pocket). 12k kms and counting.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2011 with 108k, only issue is a front suspension or subframe clunk any tiem your brake accelerate that showed up after the dealer pulled apart the front clip the 2nd time to replace a oil seal they should have replaced the 1st time.... part of the engine rebuild for oil consumption. I'm going to have my local Indy fix it because 1) That dealer is 50 miles away 2) I don;t trust that they won't say it's unrelated and charge me 3x what the indy wants and replace lots of things that don't need replacing.

Only other squeak comes occasionally from the moonroof. The visor retainer clips are too loose, even after being replaced, and the brake pedal is a little softer and longer travel than I would like. Transmission is a bit clunky as it donwshifts when slowing and has a few hesitations upshifting. But fluid was only replaced once at 98k, and you can only drain out about 3/4 of it, so I'll probably need to do it again in 15k or so.

I agree, that these little details should be a lot better at this price. I also think it should have a lot better space effeiency for it's size and weight. Cargo room is pretty dismal overall. I know the Quattro sucks up room and adds a lot of weight, but it's pretty shocking. I did get to drive a Q5 3.0T rental for a while and it wasn't that much different in NVH, suspension, etc. My 2.0T actually felt a little more nimble and responsive (probably due to smaller wheels and weight advantage)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:28 AM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our 2014 is completely no different than the day we took delivery of it. It is at 10K miles and no rattles or issues to report.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

The driver's seat on my 2015 TDI has slop in it and you can hear it move/click when you take off or stop hard. I think I am changing to a AMG sedan when this TDI mess is over.

Last edited by ParadigmDawg; 09-28-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
The driver's seat on my 2015 TDI has slop in it and you can here it move/click when you take off or stop hard. I think I am changing to a AMG sedan when this TDI mess is over.
You are still in warranty... how about let them fix the seat?
Old 09-28-2016, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Don Keener
You are still in warranty... how about let them fix the seat?
They have tried 3 times
Old 09-28-2016, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few small noises on my SQ.

I just got an intake and exhaust to fix it. I can't hear them anymore.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

2014 Q, and no noise complaints. The brakes make the typical "groan" when the parking brake is released & I tame off after a couple of days of sitting, but that's normal for most brakes. No rattles, no creaks.

I'd say try taking it to another dealer, they do vary widely in competence.

A friend of mine had repeated bring-backs to get rid of rattles and squeaks on a BMW, eventually the dealer got the idea that if he didn't fix it--it was going to keep coming back until it haunted him. So they fixed it.

If something on the seat is chafing or rubbing, i.e. the seat belt buckle is rubbing the seat or console, that can often be fixed by some attention, i.e. leather conditioner, ArmorAll, something on the surfaces to lubricate them until they polish in a bit. You might try detailing the entire seat to chase that one. But if the noise is from something like a loose bolt or fastener in the seat assembly--that's something more important.

The steering noise could be from something in the column or harness rubbing against a dash or trim part, again, with only 2k miles maybe it just needs to be polished in. Or, again, since it is electric steering perhaps there's something out of alignment in the steering assembly. Again, that crazy customer deserves to be listened to (G) and the problem confirmed and addressed. Just in case it isn't cosmetic.

I find that when a shop "can't hear anything wrong" that's usually because a mechancie or service writer has been (duh!) working in noisy shops and is partially deaf. If you take the test ride WITH them, and point out "There, did you hear that?" after the third time they usually catch the cue and can confirm it without any more debate.

If it only happens when the car is cold in the morning--get an overnight loaner, leave the car at the dealership, and come back first thing in the morning to do the "noise" ride while your car is dead cold in the morning. That's NOT really asking for too much, it is the only way to diagnose some problems, and the dealers know it.

Noises usually mean one guy drives while the other moves around trying to find the noise--and it can take a while. I'd say to try using your smartphone (presuming you have one) to record it, but phones typically can't "hear" subtle noises.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by auntrout
I was also reading the other thread on rattles and squeaks and sort concerned with some many folks having this problem on $45K + auto. I this a problem that is common to Audi or just their Q5. I'm in the market for a Q5 (first Audi for me) and now thinking I should be looking elsewhere. I hate rattles and squeaks, especially dumping $45K+.
I would base my decision on testdrive, instead of forum rants, because people feel the need to post when they don't like something (myself included), the negativity tends to be amplified. First of all, not all cars have those noises. 2ndly, even if there are noises, they have to be very faint, it's a new car after all.

In terms of noises, I never noticed "rattle", but I did notice "squeak" a couple of times. I remember after a long drive, at deep night (very quiet), when I make big turns of the steering wheel, I can hear very faint "rubber-to-rubber" kind of noise. Sometimes, if I hold my breath, looking for this noise, I can still hear it. My guess: it might due to tight fit of some rubber parts, as time goes on, the noise will go away.

I'll be surprised any car doesn't have some kind of noise if I listen this carefully. I think Audi Q5 has superb initial quality.

A $50K car, is just a car. The extra money you pay is for luxury features, e.g. those nice to have but not essential features, such as panoramic sun roof, technology package...... The more stuff is on the car, the more chances something would go wrong, the more expensive to fix. That's why a luxury car will worth about the same as a lowly equipped Honda Civic in 10 years.

Quick Reply: 2016 Q5 -- one year in and getting worse