Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 Q5 w/light clunk during shift 1st to 2nd

Old 07-16-2016, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2016 Q5 w/light clunk during shift 1st to 2nd

I searched and found an older post related to a TDI Q5 owner with this exact same question but there were no responses. So, I thought I'd give it go...

I have a new 2016 Q5:

2016 Q5 3.0T 8-Speed Tiptronic

There is a light clunk -- not like a gear shift clunk but something else less thuddy -- that occurs whenever:

Transmission is in D/S and right at the time of shift from 1st to 2nd

Transmission is in manual mode and 1st gear is held to beyond 7 MPH -- which is right where the auto shifts in D -- but NO shift is made -- still hear it, very strange

I have a good enough understanding of automatic transmissions to know that it's not a heavy gear shift thud-like clunk... definitely something else. It's been consistent too. Doesn't get louder or softer. It's less noticeable under firm acceleration from a standstill since the engine masks it more -- but it's still there.

Transmission otherwise runs quiet and all shifts are as smooth as you could expect from this transmission. The sound does not occur at any other time.

I plan to check with the service department next week to find out if this is normal but any input would be welcome!
Old 07-17-2016, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I received word from the OP of the older thread who posed the exact same question. He indicated that every loaner he had, including 2.0T and TDI Q5s, all exhibited the same sound. Does this mean it's "normal?" Well... at least I'm in good company
Old 07-17-2016, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may think about getting a 034 Motorsport Trans Mount.

It has worked really well for me...taking a lot of that clucking or lurking when my Q5 or A4 shifts in the lower gears.

https://store.034motorsport.com/tran...a5-s5-rs5.html

Not trying to advertise, just stating my first hand experience.

V/r
Dan
Old 07-18-2016, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinaround
I searched and found an older post related to a TDI Q5 owner with this exact same question but there were no responses. So, I thought I'd give it go...

I have a new 2016 Q5:

2016 Q5 3.0T 8-Speed Tiptronic

There is a light clunk -- not like a gear shift clunk but something else less thuddy -- that occurs whenever:

Transmission is in D/S and right at the time of shift from 1st to 2nd

Transmission is in manual mode and 1st gear is held to beyond 7 MPH -- which is right where the auto shifts in D -- but NO shift is made -- still hear it, very strange

I have a good enough understanding of automatic transmissions to know that it's not a heavy gear shift thud-like clunk... definitely something else. It's been consistent too. Doesn't get louder or softer. It's less noticeable under firm acceleration from a standstill since the engine masks it more -- but it's still there.

Transmission otherwise runs quiet and all shifts are as smooth as you could expect from this transmission. The sound does not occur at any other time.

I plan to check with the service department next week to find out if this is normal but any input would be welcome!
Hi cruzinaround,

I also have a 2016 Q5 3.0T and noticed the same noise from the rear after a full stop. It is as if something is releasing as the acceleration begins. It has gotten quieter as the car is aging or I’m getting used to it.
I posted here also and found others with the same scenario but no real answer to what causes the noise.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DanMontgomery

It has worked really well for me...taking a lot of that clucking or lurking when my Q5 or A4 shifts in the lower gears.

V/r
Dan
+1
Old 07-18-2016, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is on "every" stop/start cycle? I hear the ABS (along with a light thunk from every wheel) doing its system check on the first acceleration after the car's been started, but nothing after that.

I'll pay more attention on the way home tonight, but I can't say I've ever heard or felt anything like what you describe
Old 07-18-2016, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
This is on "every" stop/start cycle? I hear the ABS (along with a light thunk from every wheel) doing its system check on the first acceleration after the car's been started, but nothing after that.

I'll pay more attention on the way home tonight, but I can't say I've ever heard or felt anything like what you describe
Every stop/start cycle, yes. It's like a heavy but dull click sound. Since it occurs whether the car is actually shifting or not, I don't know that it's related to the transmission -- merely a first guess of mine.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Practice driving the "wrong" way, so you can cause this clunk. Then take your dealer's service writer or tech on a short test ride and make sure they hear it. (What you or I think is obvious, many testers won't even notice unless it is pointed out to them.)

If it only happens when the car is sitting cold overnight...park it at the dealership, arrange to come in and do the demo ride first thing in the morning. Dealer should have no problem with that.

I've heard similar blame on ABS systems, not just on Audi, and I know For Damn Sure that it is very easy to "confuse" my own 2.0's transmission on a morning cold start. Resulting in some 1-2-1 shifts that would embarrass any good stick driver.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:05 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

+2

Highly recommended.

-tgt

Originally Posted by DanMontgomery

V/r
Dan
Old 07-20-2016, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I did some playing around last night driving home the "backwoods" route, and I definitely hear what I'd consider a relay click or similar coming from the back at 7-8 mph, but I have to shut off the A/C, radio, windows shut, etc to hear it. Happens every time regardless of manual holding 1st, S or D. The other piece of info is it happens coincident with the speed that the rear camera display shuts off.

What does this say about cruzinaround's issue? Not sure, because despite my obsession with extinguishing every creak, rattle, pop, from my cars, I won't hear it in mine in all but the most deliberate situation. I'll update if i find anything else...

Edit...
All this 7-8mph stuff jogged my memory to this thread from a year ago:
Single Knock at 7mph

Last edited by BlackSVT; 07-20-2016 at 07:25 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Q5 w/light clunk during shift 1st to 2nd