Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 SQ5 21" OEM wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 SQ5 21" OEM wheels

Hey all, I am considering taking the plunge on some 21" aftermarket wheels for my 2016 SQ5. In my attempt to justify the purchase to myself (as something more than, "because I wanna"), can anyone tell me what the OEM 21" wheels weigh each? TIA!
Old 04-26-2016, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NealcpLA
Hey all, I am considering taking the plunge on some 21" aftermarket wheels for my 2016 SQ5. In my attempt to justify the purchase to myself (as something more than, "because I wanna"), can anyone tell me what the OEM 21" wheels weigh each? TIA!
The stock 21" wheel and tire combo is about 67 lbs, so the wheels are around 36 lbs by themselves. It should be easy to find aftermarket wheels lighter than that. Go for some quality forged wheels. You'll be reducing unsprung weight, so you'll get better performance (this I can attest to) and (ummmm) better gas mileage. You'll also have a stronger wheel that's less likely to get damaged by road hazards. And if that doesn't work, well, can you really put a price on looking good LOL?
Old 04-26-2016, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by riceboy22
The stock 21" wheel and tire combo is about 67 lbs, so the wheels are around 36 lbs by themselves. It should be easy to find aftermarket wheels lighter than that. Go for some quality forged wheels. You'll be reducing unsprung weight, so you'll get better performance (this I can attest to) and (ummmm) better gas mileage. You'll also have a stronger wheel that's less likely to get damaged by road hazards. And if that doesn't work, well, can you really put a price on looking good LOL?
Thanks for that weight...these are the wheels I am looking at on TireRack. Trying to tell how much they weigh; thinking maybe 31# each..wonder how much difference that would make. What did you find better about the handling when you swapped out?...thanks

O.Z. Superturismo LM Matte Graphite Silver
Old 04-26-2016, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for that weight...these are the wheels I am looking at on TireRack. Trying to tell how much they weigh; thinking maybe 31# each..wonder how much difference that would make. What did you find better about the handling when you swapped out?...thanks

O.Z. Superturismo LM Matte Graphite Silver
Looks like they're 31 lbs each like you said, so you are saving some weight. Rays claims that saving 1 kg of unsprung weight can be worth 15 kg of weight reduction from the vehicle's overall weight. I'm sure you'll find lots of argument that that is way overestimating it, but I don't think there's any debate that it makes some difference.

My setup is about 53 lbs, and it is most noticeable in how the car handles, especially over uneven roads. My butt dyno also says acceleration is improved and so is braking.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like they're 31 lbs each like you said, so you are saving some weight. Rays claims that saving 1 kg of unsprung weight can be worth 15 kg of weight reduction from the vehicle's overall weight. I'm sure you'll find lots of argument that that is way overestimating it, but I don't think there's any debate that it makes some difference.

My setup is about 53 lbs, and it is most noticeable in how the car handles, especially over uneven roads. My butt dyno also says acceleration is improved and so is braking.
This is when I wish I had paid closer attention in HS Physics... In what way did you find the handling improved? You have the SQ5 with the 21" Pirelli summer performance tires, correct?
Old 04-26-2016, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I've always liked the O.Z. Superturismo wheels. I had a version of them on my '01 Lexus GS300 with L-tuned package. I think they will look great on your SQ5.
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2016, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is when I wish I had paid closer attention in HS Physics... In what way did you find the handling improved? You have the SQ5 with the 21" Pirelli summer performance tires, correct?
I was more a chemistry guy than a physics guy LOL. These two articles will probably do a better job of explaining it than I ever could.

Wheel Tech Information - Road Wheel Weights Can Affect Your Vehicle's Show...& Go!

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

My subjective experience is that the car is more responsive to my inputs when I have the lighter wheels mounted. I'd almost equate it to running in boots vs running in sneakers (maybe not quite that extreme). Keep in mind though that I'm probably 14 lbs lighter at each corner than my stock 21s. The 21s have 255 Dunlop Sportmaxx summer tires and my 20s have 275 Conti DWS 06 A/S tires (so they're wider, but I noticed the same difference in responsiveness on my previous set of 20s that were slightly heavier with 255 Conti DWS 06 A/S tires.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dseag2
I've always liked the O.Z. Superturismo wheels. I had a version of them on my '01 Lexus GS300 with L-tuned package. I think they will look great on your SQ5.
Thank you! I am looking at the Matte Graphite Silver which should look pretty sweet with my Daytona Grey Pearl Effect SQ5...almost blend in visually...
Old 04-26-2016, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was more a chemistry guy than a physics guy LOL. These two articles will probably do a better job of explaining it than I ever could.

Wheel Tech Information - Road Wheel Weights Can Affect Your Vehicle's Show...& Go!

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

My subjective experience is that the car is more responsive to my inputs when I have the lighter wheels mounted. I'd almost equate it to running in boots vs running in sneakers (maybe not quite that extreme). Keep in mind though that I'm probably 14 lbs lighter at each corner than my stock 21s. The 21s have 255 Dunlop Sportmaxx summer tires and my 20s have 275 Conti DWS 06 A/S tires (so they're wider, but I noticed the same difference in responsiveness on my previous set of 20s that were slightly heavier with 255 Conti DWS 06 A/S tires.
But not OVERLY responsive, right? ("squirelly" at all?)...What did you do with your OEM 21" wheels then?...
Old 04-26-2016, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Thank you! I am looking at the Matte Graphite Silver which should look pretty sweet with my Daytona Grey Pearl Effect SQ5...almost blend in visually...
Agreed. Matte Graphite Silver and Daytona should look hot!

Quick Reply: 2016 SQ5 21" OEM wheels