Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 SQ5.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 SQ5.

I was just wondering if anyone in here just bought recently an SQ5 how much they paid for it. I am looking to get one but I want to make sure I don't overpay for it as you all know the dealers play tricks on you and. Thanks
Old 02-19-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I do not own a SQ5 but I did just buy a S5. The first place for you to start is to figure out the invoice cost for the SQ5. This will let you know how much the dealer is billed from the factory. You can find invoice pricing on cars through Consumer Reports or Kelly Bluebook.

Then, find out any factory or dealer incentives (discounts) off MSRP. You can find information on monthly incentives through the dealership, newspaper ads, the Audi website, and probably Kelly Blue Book.

Figure out how much you are willing to pay over invoice price. Remember that dealerships are businesses that need to make some money. They cannot just give away their cars with no mark-up unless they're having some sort of huge push to move their stock or the factory has marked down the prices of the cars significantly to move them. Most likely won't happen with Audi. I say, meet the dealership halfway at best. However, when you start haggling the price, start the negotiations at invoice cost and work your way up on the negotiations to the price you are willing to pay for it as your last stand.

After agreeing to a price, bring up the factory incentives or discounts and then apply it to that agreed price. Then, ask them for free floor mats and other accessories you want to go with the car. Don't be afraid to ask a lot. Let them tell you what they can throw in as freebies.

Finally, do not let the dealership sell you paint protection, anti-theft window etching, or rust proofing, etc. This is where they make extra money. If the car does not need it, then it is not needed. As for extended warranty, I tend to delay its purchase as long as allowed by the dealership. The extra time allows me to figure out if the car I purchased will need extended warranty or not.

It will help if you let your readers know where you are located so other forum members in your locality can chime in and give you ideas of discounts off MSRP they were able to negotiate with their dealer. Also, they may be able to point you to a dealership with a good reputation.

Cheers!
Old 02-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

^^^ That has got to be the best advice I have heard in terms of negotiating the purchase of a new vehicle. Would you mind if I quoted you for a personal blog post? I get asked this question regularly by friends and colleagues, and I would love to just share your thoughts. If you're okay with that. Great advice.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 55cadillacking
^^^ That has got to be the best advice I have heard in terms of negotiating the purchase of a new vehicle. Would you mind if I quoted you for a personal blog post? I get asked this question regularly by friends and colleagues, and I would love to just share your thoughts. If you're okay with that. Great advice.
Sure, no problem
Old 02-19-2016, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. You make a complicated process seem simple.

Dickering with the Dealer - Rick's Audi Double
Old 02-19-2016, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i just put a deposit down on a 2016 Q5 3.0T so I know what the ball park pricing is at the moment from multiple negotiations with 5-6 dealerships in California. There are some crazy deals right now. Feel free to PM me with questions.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 55cadillacking
Thanks. You make a complicated process seem simple.

Dickering with the Dealer - Rick's Audi Double
I`m published!

Last edited by plat27265; 02-19-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by plat27265
I do not own a SQ5 but I did just buy a S5. The first place for you to start is to figure out the invoice cost for the SQ5. This will let you know how much the dealer is billed from the factory. You can find invoice pricing on cars through Consumer Reports or Kelly Bluebook.

Then, find out any factory or dealer incentives (discounts) off MSRP. You can find information on monthly incentives through the dealership, newspaper ads, the Audi website, and probably Kelly Blue Book.

Figure out how much you are willing to pay over invoice price. Remember that dealerships are businesses that need to make some money. They cannot just give away their cars with no mark-up unless they're having some sort of huge push to move their stock or the factory has marked down the prices of the cars significantly to move them. Most likely won't happen with Audi. I say, meet the dealership halfway at best. However, when you start haggling the price, start the negotiations at invoice cost and work your way up on the negotiations to the price you are willing to pay for it as your last stand.

After agreeing to a price, bring up the factory incentives or discounts and then apply it to that agreed price. Then, ask them for free floor mats and other accessories you want to go with the car. Don't be afraid to ask a lot. Let them tell you what they can throw in as freebies.

Finally, do not let the dealership sell you paint protection, anti-theft window etching, or rust proofing, etc. This is where they make extra money. If the car does not need it, then it is not needed. As for extended warranty, I tend to delay its purchase as long as allowed by the dealership. The extra time allows me to figure out if the car I purchased will need extended warranty or not.

It will help if you let your readers know where you are located so other forum members in your locality can chime in and give you ideas of discounts off MSRP they were able to negotiate with their dealer. Also, they may be able to point you to a dealership with a good reputation.

Cheers!
Thank u so much very helpful, I am in NYC.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As you are from NYC, I ordered a new SQ5 from Meadowlands Audi on Rt3 in Secaucus, NJ back in October. Should have any day now as it left port back on the 4th of this month. My salesman name is Steve Seigal and this is the 5th Audi my family has bought him in the past few years. My point is he is knowledgeable in all aspects and has always done right for me on price. Give him a try.