Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 SQ5- Thoughts on extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 SQ5- Thoughts on extended warranty

Just picked up our new 2016 SQ5, love it!! Any thoughts on the extended warranty up to 120mos / 100k?? We drive an avg. of 16k per year. Dealer is quoting us $5,730. Covers everything, including rental, except for wear and tear items. Appreciate any insights.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm going to buy it to cover entire time I'm planning to own it. It's the peace of mind that you're buying, so the real question is if it's worth the money. For me the answer is "yes", especially keeping in mind that repairs for Audi are not going to be cheap.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a direct answer, but every salesman and long-time Audi owner has said the same thing "you do NOT want to own a German car without a warranty unless you know how to work on them or have access to inexpensive OEM parts."

I've known only one guy who fit the bill.

Originally Posted by SagamoreS5
Just picked up our new 2016 SQ5, love it!! Any thoughts on the extended warranty up to 120mos / 100k?? We drive an avg. of 16k per year. Dealer is quoting us $5,730. Covers everything, including rental, except for wear and tear items. Appreciate any insights.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said it before and I will will say it again. If you are going to buy an extended warranty (and as mentioned, its a good idea for the Audis) do not buy that warranty until you are close to the end of the standard warranty.

Yes, it may be less expensive to buy it now, rather than wait, but you are paying for something now that will not go into effect until 4 years/48k later. It is prorated from the moment you buy it. What happens if your car gets totaled or stolen in a year or two or three? You will get a prorated refund. After a few years - for whatever reason, you change your mind and want to sell the car? You will get a prorated refund. Sell your car and use the extended warranty as a selling point? You won't get half of that cost back.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If/when you do buy (near the end of original warranty as stated already) make sure you keep every single frickin' piece of paper regarding maintenance. Windshield washer fluid, tires, radiator fluid. Anything you buy related to the Audi. Keep that papework in a safe place. Because third party or extended warranties want every single piece of paper to honor that warranty for you or the next buyer.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kreativecid
If/when you do buy (near the end of original warranty as stated already) make sure you keep every single frickin' piece of paper regarding maintenance. Windshield washer fluid, tires, radiator fluid. Anything you buy related to the Audi. Keep that papework in a safe place. Because third party or extended warranties want every single piece of paper to honor that warranty for you or the next buyer.
My past experience with extended warranty (it was GM, not Audi - if that matters) indicates none of these things were necessary, nor was I ever asked about them. Service experience was pretty much the same as "normal" warranty - the only difference was I was asked to pay deductible. I seriously doubt that Audi's service experience is going to be worse than GM's was.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you tell them no and that you can find it much cheaper at another dealer, they might budge on price. My dealer sure did, I ended up paying $100 over cost, the price you quoted seems sky high.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about an extended warranty when I bought my Q5. I am now past the extended warranty period. I didn't buy it, and wouldn't have had any claims under the extended warranty.

Basically you are paying to manage risk. (Just like an insurance policy). The decision is entirely up to you.

From most of what I have seen, the extended warranty policies just cover major components like the engine, or transmission. It is unlikely that one of those major pieces will fail. If something fails, it is most likely to be smaller items like starters/alternators/AC compressors, or electrical components. Keep in mind these aren't cheap, but are usually less expensive than the cost of an extended warranty.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SagamoreS5
$5730 is retarded.

Even if it was $3k then it may not make sense. Will only pay for itself if something major fails (which sometimes isn't covered). Read the fine print.

Like others say, wait until the initial warranty is over, save your receipts, and go look at third party warranty options.

Clark Howard is pretty savvy. He says no way:

http://www.clarkhoward.com/beware-bu...ans-older-vehi

Last edited by Deckardk; 09-28-2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Clark Howard link
Old 09-28-2015, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here's short summary on what's covered by EW (booklet contains detailed list of covered items, but it's very large):
https://i.imgur.com/CVF2qOK.jpg

Here's what's NOT covered by platinum extended warranty: https://i.imgur.com/1jNNCp9.jpg

Here are prices I was offered (keep in mind it's canadian dollars, and kilometers for mileage): https://i.imgur.com/SYnd27g.jpg

Oh - and any level of EW includes FREE software & navigation updates!

And there's "Claim Free Reward" in case you end up not using it.

As for usefulness of EW - well it's the same as regular insurance - it always seems to be a waste of money until you really need it - and at that point you will be glad having it. On my current vehicle I got more out of EW than I've paid for it.

Quick Reply: 2016 SQ5- Thoughts on extended warranty