Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 TDI Need help quickly!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2016 TDI Need help quickly!!!

I have a new 2016 Q5 TDI WITH 1000 Kms on it and am having trouble with trying to apply full throttle to it. In the process of breaking in the vehicle I had to quickly apply full throttle in a low speed passing situation and found that in doing so the car suddenly stalled as the revs approached 2800 rpms!

And I mean stalled out just like it hit a rev limiter or fuel shutoff! Scared the **** out of me, and it almost cause what would have been a really good accident!

After my heart beat returned to normal, I tried this several times again. I had not ever used full throttle before while doing the break in runs. Almost every time it would do the same thing and stall out, only returning to normal if I let up on the throttle.

I continued several test runs and each time the car stalled, and then suddenly the car started to behave properly. Thought it might have been bad diesel (or water in second tank) so figured it was okay. Later the next day thought I would try again, just curious, and sure enough, it did it again!!

After several miles tried again and it behaved normally. Called Audi dealer, and they had never heard of this before! Typical dealer response I guess, couldn't even get an appointment until next Monday! Jesus what's up with that? It was good thing I was not on an expressway during rush hour when this first happened might have been very interesting indeed.

So...has anyone else had this problem? What can I expect with this kind of intermittent problem? I feel just sick, that this should occur so soon after getting the car?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

cheers
Old 09-16-2015, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is crazy! And while not a reply to your question I will give my little bit of info.

I tested a 16 TDI and drove it full throttle from a stop, a slow crawl and at about 35mph getting on a freeway. Other than a tiny hint of turbo lag (nooooothing compared to my petrol turbo lag in other Audis) there was no stopping, stalling or even serious hesitation as you describe.

Hopefully things go well at the service.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never seen or heard of this either. There can sometimes be delay in acceleration if you're braking then try and mash the throttle (especially if you're in D where it wants to make sure you meant to do that), but once it's going it'll be going until it hits the rev limiter (it'll happily soar past the power band if I let it).

Hopefully some codes were thrown to give the dealer some information on what the heck happened, since it's definitely not normal.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
Hopefully some codes were thrown
That's what I was thinking, too. Read the error codes and go from there.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I once had this happen on my 2014 Q5 TDI when it had about 11,000 miles. I had a glow plug indicator on the dash. After a couple of failures the High Pressure Fuel Pump was changed and it resolved the issue. The HPFP is the weak link on this engine.

A few words of advise regarding strange events / lights on dash. Pull the car over as soon as you can safely do so. Take note of any driver information messages and idiot lights. Take a picture of the dash if necessary. Turn the vehicle off. Restart the vehicle. The problem may or may not reoccur. Schedule a service appointment if car can be operated. If it doesn't operate properly, call Audi Assist and they will flat bed your vehicle to the nearest dealer. Good luck.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 09-16-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like fuel pump to me.

Time for a trip to the dealer.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the replies!

Tried out the beast this morning after talking to Audi central. In 6 quick full throttle applications 5 were total failures and the engine stalled out at 2800 rpm. The one that didn't stall rev,d to 4500 but did have any oomph to it at all. No idiot lights or warning lights etc. Should it give some error?

Would this behaviour also indicate perhaps a fuel pump problem too?

Audi command suggested I not drive the car until it is repaired, but it works okay right now as long as I don't floor it. They said they want to investigate it so could be out of action for a while.

This issue is greatly disturbing my breakin plans to be sure. Guess it was not meant to be. Will it hurt it?

Thanks for the input

Cheers
Old 09-16-2015, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Jcampbell3
Should it give some error?
THere are possibly error codes stored in the car's computer, but not visible on the dashboard. The car needs to be hooked up to an OBD2 reader to read them. Dealer will attempt it for sure.

This issue is greatly disturbing my breakin plans to be sure.
With 1000 km on the clock, any kind of break-in that was meant to happen has already happened, so don't worry about it. Take it to the dealer ASAP and let them figure it out while they give you a loaner.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
THere are possibly error codes stored in the car's computer, but not visible on the dashboard. The car needs to be hooked up to an OBD2 reader to read them. Dealer will attempt it for sure.

With 1000 km on the clock, any kind of break-in that was meant to happen has already happened, so don't worry about it. Take it to the dealer ASAP and let them figure it out while they give you a loaner.
Thanks for reassurances, it goes in Monday at 1:00 pm.
If anyone is interested I will post findings. Thanks to all

cheers
Old 09-16-2015, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: 2016 TDI Need help quickly!!!