Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 TDI QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2016 TDI QUESTION

Hi all,

Quick question, finally took wife out in Audi to get her used to it before our trip down south and all went reasonably well. However, after a short drive out the highway at legal speeds (or lower) we arrived home after maybe 20 miles and parked in the driveway. Temps this morning around 23 degrees C so not hot.

But here is the strange part, the motor cooling fans came on and are quite loud and strong. The part that bothers me is it stayed on for about 10 minutes! What the hell is that for? It didn't do this last August. The car has about 6k on it and has had its first service so all should be good.

No dash indication that it's doing it regeneration thing with the pollution system. And the temperature gauge is in normal range. What's it going to do in Texas, Florida heat?

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Most likely a regeneration in process. I don't think you can worry about that.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks have been reading about it fron TDI FORUMS. You are likely right. One question, isn't the dash light supposed to come on when this happens? I saw no such light, hence my query. But sure a lot of heat produced from the action!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 2014 A6 TDI does the same thing

Originally Posted by Jcampbell3
Thanks have been reading about it fron TDI FORUMS. You are likely right. One question, isn't the dash light supposed to come on when this happens? I saw no such light, hence my query. But sure a lot of heat produced from the action!
Sounds like the particulate filter running a regeneration cycle. Ambient temperature is immaterial. It does it when it needs to. Never saw any indicator lights on the dash while the cycles in progress.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the part the burning off and cleaning of the filter which is all part of that "clean diesel" thing we all bought in to. This is normal. No worries.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It usually smells pretty bad too. I know my 335d does.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

During the regeneration you'll feel the heat from the exhaust. You can place you hand near the exhaust tip and feel air movement too.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, no lights will appear (lights are pretty much reserved for warnings/errors, and as regen is a standard process there's nothing to warn anyone about -- the only related light you'd see the the "DPF full" warning, which you definitely don't want to see for a long time!). The fan will be on up front, there'll be a lot of heat coming from under the car (I usually feel it when I'm getting out), and there may be a "burning" smell.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the good replies, good to know. One last question, as my wife was driving for thr first time, I did notice anything unusual until she stopped the car we got out and heard the loud fan noises. Did screw anything up by stopping the car? Will it restart or somehow complete its cycle with the engine shut off?

Inquiring minds want to know! I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Cheers
Old 06-15-2016, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for all the good replies, good to know. One last question, as my wife was driving for thr first time, I did notice anything unusual until she stopped the car we got out and heard the loud fan noises. Did screw anything up by stopping the car? Will it restart or somehow complete its cycle with the engine shut off?

Inquiring minds want to know! I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Cheers
Depending how far it got thru the cycle when turned off it will reschedule it. There are no indicator lights unless the filter gets clogged. There is a recommended method in the manual to help the car clean the DPF on page 34 should the filter clog.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
141.561.8RB.23.05.pdf (672.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: pdf
141.561.8RB.23.05a.pdf (588.1 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 06-15-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 TDI QUESTION