Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

3.0 Liter carbon buildup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Moisture build-up is one thing. But I thought we were talking about carbon build-up here specifically.

In any case, I think I'd rather pay for an occasional carbon cleaning instead of waste 20 minutes and additional gasoline and rack up extra miles on the car every day.
Italian Tune-up. Just costs half a tank of gas and a bottle of Techron (or similar).
Old 02-08-2016, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Italian Tune-up. Just costs half a tank of gas and a bottle of Techron (or similar).
Techron or any other fuel additive is not effective with DI where the fuel does not wash over the valves. It might be somewhat effective on the newer 2.0T engines that supposedly have a secondary multipoint injector.

But yeah, giving the engine a good workout would help build up internal temps and hopefully help burn off some of the deposits. Just have to try not to get any tickets in the process.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Moisture build-up is one thing. But I thought we were talking about carbon build-up here specifically.

In any case, I think I'd rather pay for an occasional carbon cleaning instead of wasting 20 minutes and additional gasoline and racking up extra miles on the car every day.
Yeah, I understand that it is a chore to drive it around just to warm up the engine. Yes, carbon build-up will still be an issue even after warming up the engine. The one that helps minimize carbon build-up is the 'Italian Tune'. Do it once in a while to burn off the carbon deposit. I do it to my GTI once in a while.

Last edited by plat27265; 02-08-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We do wish it was that easy!
Old 02-09-2016, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
We do wish it was that easy!
Had you been driving like a man instead of a grandma, maybe you would have this problem?
Old 02-09-2016, 06:24 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

The problem is, no combustion heat gets to the intake anyway, so an "Italian tuneup" won't do squat for the intake ports and valve stems..
Old 02-09-2016, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran my 2011 B8 S4 (3.0T) to 94k miles with no issues. Ran as strong at the end as it did when new.

3.0T really hasn't exhibited any significant issues with carbon build up.

Thermostats, yes.

Early fuel pumps, yes.

But carbon build up? Notsomuch.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
The problem is, no combustion heat gets to the intake anyway, so an "Italian tuneup" won't do squat for the intake ports and valve stems..
I've been mostly joking about this, but serious question: How does the intake tract and valve stems carbon up if they are getting no heat or exposure to burned/partially burned fuel? Seems counter intuitive.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been mostly joking about this, but serious question: How does the intake tract and valve stems carbon up if they are getting no heat or exposure to burned/partially burned fuel? Seems counter intuitive.
I believe the buildup is from oil that gets picked up by blow-by gases flowing through the crankcase and then back to the intake via the PCV system.

The 'Italian tune-up' may even make things worse by causing more blow-by gases from hard driving, as well as sucking them into the intake with the vacuum created when you close the throttle at high rpm.

Last edited by newmoon; 02-09-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

There are oil fumes (PCV) and exhaust gas recirculation that deposits on very hot valves and valve stems. That is my limited knowledge. One reason that some enthusiasts install catch-cans on the PCV hose connection.

Quick Reply: 3.0 Liter carbon buildup?