Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

3.0 TFSI vs TDI

Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0 TFSI vs TDI

I buying car for the first time.

I am contemplating between gas and diesel.

Yearly, I don't think I would drive more than 10k-12k . mostly in the city.

Which is better? (some may say 2.0 but I def like the 6 cyl even if I am driving on highway not that often)

Maths suggest that I will save only about $20 bucks a month on gas so will take 8-10 yrs to get the price difference back.

Should I consider any other costs between diesel and gas?
Is diesel better than gas engines in long run (5-7 yrs)?

any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-04-2013, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 3.0 TFSi offer from dealer - 47k (incl Nav and B&O)

Metallic color
Navigation
B&O music system

Is that a good offer?

MSRP is - 50,195
Old 11-04-2013, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

It is a good price. A 6% discount is extremely good for Audi.

But since you state you do city driving, the 3.0T might be the wrong choice. It consume the most fuel in city driving, although slightly midiated by using the start stop system.

Just study the city EPA numbers for the various models before pulling the trigger. The 2.0T might be the best cost / efficiency due do the premium purchase price of the 3.0T and TDI engines.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

TFSI vs TDI
TFSI or TDI is forever question that no one has found the right answer

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...light=TFSI+TDI
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...FSI+TDI&page=6
Old 11-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bosyork
I buying car for the first time.

I am contemplating between gas and diesel.

Yearly, I don't think I would drive more than 10k-12k . mostly in the city.

Which is better? (some may say 2.0 but I def like the 6 cyl even if I am driving on highway not that often)

Maths suggest that I will save only about $20 bucks a month on gas so will take 8-10 yrs to get the price difference back.

Should I consider any other costs between diesel and gas?
Is diesel better than gas engines in long run (5-7 yrs)?

any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
I was in the same boat as you with comparing these two models. The biggest factor for me was purely cosmetic, followed by price. I really like the look of the S-line style bumpers/fog light surrounds but the only way to get that on the TDI was to get the full S-Line package, which adds another $4,000 on top of the $2,100 diesel option. I also prefer the look of the wood trim over the aluminum. Like your concern, I only drive around 20k miles/yr and I would most likely never acheive the mileage savings to offset the cost. After having the 3.0 TFSI for a couple of weeks, I would still make the same decision. However, there are folks out there who feel the same about their TDI and wouldn't give it up either. Like Spijun said, there's no perfect answer.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife made the choice to go 3.0T because she did not feel comfortable with a diesel. She also prefered the look of the S-line bumpers to non S-line. I did not argue on the point to much as diesel is hard to come by in my area. The majority of filling stations are petrol only. Something to consider.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Xylar5
My wife made the choice to go 3.0T because she did not feel comfortable with a diesel. She also prefered the look of the S-line bumpers to non S-line. I did not argue on the point to much as diesel is hard to come by in my area. The majority of filling stations are petrol only. Something to consider.
Same here. The vast majority of gas stations in my area don't sell diesel. Out of 12 gas stations in the area, only 2 sell diesel, and it costs 11% more than Premium.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that is so mind boggling from an european point of view.. I have never seen a station that wouldn't sell diesel, apart from travelling to the US.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It varies by region.....

Originally Posted by arcS
that is so mind boggling from an european point of view.. I have never seen a station that wouldn't sell diesel, apart from travelling to the US.
In the NY metro area, no problems at all finding stations with diesel. In fact, they are far easier to find than I would have guessed. I use an iPhone app called Gas Buddy that permits you to search by grade, and then by price and/or distance. Very easy.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Xylar5
That's really odd, aren't you in Dallas? Here in Austin almost all stations have diesel and most anywhere I've stopped on road trips have had it (or a nearby station did). Some stations with diesel don't advertise it on the price board, but maybe your area really doesn't have much... it would just be a little odd especially here in Texas with all the diesel trucks around.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.0 TFSI vs TDI