Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

About to order

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to order

Looking at 2015 SQ5.

Phantom Black
Black alcantara
21" Rims
B&O system

I don't use the Nav or backup cam, so don't see the need for the Tech package. BUT - can I play audio from my phone to the car without the Tech package?

I may order aftermarket Carbon inlays.

What am I not getting that I'll later regret?

Trying to keep the costs down, while stepping upto the SQ5.

TIA!!

Last edited by Munchpup; 08-28-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you looked at it from a resale perspective? A top of the line model without Nav may be difficult to sell later on. Now if you're just leasing it or trading it in, then it probably doesn't matter much.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I kinda go back n forth. Sure, pay extra $3700 upfront for it, or discount the car by $3700 without it on the back end. Probably a wash.

5 year old SQ5 with nav might be 2k more than one without nav. Hard to say, but these are the pricey options that certainly don't hold value on their own.

Last edited by Munchpup; 08-28-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My two cents worth...
I wanted an SQ5 so badly after the test drive that I ordered mine when we got back to the dealership. I saved $3,400 on the NAV because my phone already does it for free. I also saved 230 pounds on the panoramic sunroof. I don't give a good golly gosh darn about resale value. I didn't buy it to trade it in. I am still very happy with my setup. Now, let's talk about all the other crap the dealer will push on you. That stuff adds up quicker than a $3,700 NAV system. It just all depends on what you want. Buying a car with the intention of trading it in is ridiculous. The next owner might like beige, so maybe you should get beige. Just sayin'...get what YOU want.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

SQive, are you streaming to your car from your phone with your current setup?

Apple or Android?
Old 08-28-2014, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Munchpup
SQive, are you streaming to your car from your phone with your current setup?

Apple or Android?
No. I don't use my phone for music. I don't even own any earbuds. Apparently, my dumb phone is challenged just handling phone calls, emails, and texts. Music would probably lock the damn thing up. I use the SD cards. Having ripped every CD I own to 320Kb MP3's and downloading everything else I wanted, I'm only using 20GB of the 32GB card.

Having said that, I've read in one of these forums where you can get an app for your phone that will integrate with AMI and allow you to stream music without the MMI-High. You can search for it.

Never mind...you're in that thread as well. It seems you'll just need that Tune2Air app.

Last edited by SQive; 08-28-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

So the mmi takes up to a 32gb sd card? Do you use a Mac or PC to rip cd to the sd card?

How does the ad card read music? By album? Any playlist?

Originally Posted by SQive
No. I don't use my phone for music. I don't even own any earbuds. Apparently, my dumb phone is challenged just handling phone calls, emails, and texts. Music would probably lock the damn thing up. I use the SD cards. Having ripped every CD I own to 320Kb MP3's and downloading everything else I wanted, I'm only using 20GB of the 32GB card.

Having said that, I've read in one of these forums where you can get an app for your phone that will integrate with AMI and allow you to stream music without the MMI-High. You can search for it.

Never mind...you're in that thread as well. It seems you'll just need that Tune2Air app.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by imdakine1
So the mmi takes up to a 32gb sd card? Do you use a Mac or PC to rip cd to the sd card?

How does the ad card read music? By album? Any playlist?
The SD card will either use the files in the current directory to play, or you can create a playlist (M3U format works, not sure about others) and it'll effectively see the playlist as a "directory of files". I use playlists and put the playlists at the root of the SD card (if they're in a directory then it sounds like they might not auto-start when the MMI comes up), then organize the files themselves however I want (which is the "standard" /ArtistName/AlbumName/SongName.mp3 sort of organization).

You can use any computer to copy files over (they just need to be in a format the MMI can read), as well as to create the playlist. There's some apps geared for taking music in a directory and creating a playlist file, though I just use the Foobar2000 music player app, set up a playlist in there, then save as an M3U and copy it over.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ripped everything to my PC. I put everything I wanted on the SD card and found out just how big 32GB is, so I copied everything to it. I then went to MP3VA(.com) and bought everything I could think of...everything I used to have on cassettes. The AMI displays everything in the same folder structure you create. I use artist\album\tracks and everything is displayed alphabetically. The tracks can be kept in album order using their default 01-song, 02-song, etc. The list is so big that it can take a while to scroll through everything, but loading is instantaneous. I've considered the SSD route, but for me, it would just be wasting money.