Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 08:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Choosing between Q5 2.0 vs. Q5 3.0 vs. Allroad 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Choosing between Q5 2.0 vs. Q5 3.0 vs. Allroad 2.0

I think my next new car will either be a Q5 or an allroad.
Did you have this choice to make?

Why choose a Q5 over an allroad? Bigger? Sits higher?

What engine did you choose - 3.0 or 2.0?
With the 2014 versions, they bump up the 2.0 to 220 HP (9 HP more),
would that be enough reason to go for the 2.0 engine?

Thanks for the insights.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ayap
I think my next new car will either be a Q5 or an allroad.
Did you have this choice to make?

Why choose a Q5 over an allroad? Bigger? Sits higher?
Assuming I was planning on going for the 2.0T, I'd go for the Q5 over the allroad because it's a little bigger (2" more rear legroom, taller but shallower cargo volume) and about $2000 cheaper (why?).

What engine did you choose - 3.0 or 2.0?
Going TDI, which is also something the allroad doesn't have -- though it might for 2015 when the A4 gets the 2.0 TDI. Of course, the 2.0 and 3.0 TDIs are vastly different beasts.

With the 2014 versions, they bump up the 2.0 to 220 HP (9 HP more),
would that be enough reason to go for the 2.0 engine?
9HP isn't much, though the engine sounds like it's been tweaked a little to be slightly better in other ways, too. But I'd go for whichever fills your needs better. The 3.0T is more powerful, but you might not need that much power (on the other hand, more available power means at similar power levels the 3.0T is working less and that can make for better driving experiences even if you don't need all the 3.0T's power).
Old 05-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I was debating All Road or Q5, and ended up choosing the Q5. For me, it really came down to preference. I prefer to sit higher on the road and liked the cargo area of the Q5 better (it is a little bigger). Plus as stated by idale, the Q5 is a few grand cheaper.

Oh, plus the Q5 comes with a 4400 towing capacity. Granted, I'll be using the tow hitch mostly for the bike rack . . . but we also plan to tow an ultra lite RV. Take the tow hitch out of the mix though and I still would have chosen the Q5 for reasons above.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Q5 has more room in the back. Allroad doesn't have any... and the 3.0T ....
If we had A6 based allroad with the 3.0T I would have gone for one.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

First of all OP, love your S5.

Based on your automotive history, I'd peg you as a 3.0 guy. Unless you've recently become hyper-sensitive to fuel consumption, I think you'd think the 2.0 is a bit of a step down from where you are currently. But I may be off here, you didn't give an indication as to why you're considering a change.

My wife and I settled on the Q5 in MY2012, and after driving the 2.0 and the 3.2, we liked the 2.0 better. Our plans were put on hold as we built a new home. Back on the market this year, we stopped by the dealer to compare Brilliant Black with Phantom Black. Since we were there anyway, I asked to drive the new 3.0 just for kicks. Upon pulling back into the dealership, we cancelled our 2.0 order and ordered the 3.0 instead. It's literally as smooth as butter to drive, yet more than compliant when encouraged to growl.

Oh yeah, and it carries cargo also. Take a test drive of both, you'll see what I mean.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackAce
It's literally as smooth as butter to drive, yet more than compliant when encouraged to growl.
Ew, I prefer there to be some grip when I drive, hopefully the TDI doesn't slip all over like the 3.0T.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
Ew, I prefer there to be some grip when I drive, hopefully the TDI doesn't slip all over like the 3.0T.
LOL. Fine. More specifically the transmission mating and acceleration are buttery smooth. No issues on the torque end for me, but probably because I just got impatient waiting on the TDI. And I prefer the s-line exterior.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the allroads are a bit pricy. The 3.0 q5 is just about the same price as an allroad.

High tow capacity, 20" rims look better, more space. 3.0 is a better engine, IMO

I enjoyed my 11 avant. It looked great riding low with the 19" sport package. The 19" rims are on backorder on the allroad though, no air suspension, 1 color body paint is a $1000 and limited colors.

Just seems like you're paying more for less. It's just catering to wagon lovers and you really have to want the allroad to pay more for it.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am one of those odd Americans that likes wagons or, in this case, the Avant. If we had a choice of an A6 Avant TDI I'd be all over it. I looked hard at the A4 Allroad. Only way I'd have one is to order it with the cladding painted the body color....and that adds another 1K to the already higher price than the 2.0 Q5. The Q5 will have better resale if it matters to you.....only because of the better market acceptance of the CUV. Personally, I like the ease of getting in and out of my Q5, the unquestionable utility of the space behind the front seats. It's a great package....and the 3.0TDI is going to be a better package, and that is why I ordered one. But if there was a A6 Avant TDI choice, I'd be in a real conundrum...........
Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackAce
LOL. Fine. More specifically the transmission mating and acceleration are buttery smooth. No issues on the torque end for me, but probably because I just got impatient waiting on the TDI. And I prefer the s-line exterior.
Hehe just giving you a hard time about using "literally".

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
I think the allroads are a bit pricy. The 3.0 q5 is just about the same price as an allroad.

[...]

Just seems like you're paying more for less. It's just catering to wagon lovers and you really have to want the allroad to pay more for it.
Yep, pretty much you've got an even bigger "Avant tax" than usual. It's almost like they want the allroad to not sell as well as it could otherwise (though there's certainly people buying them!).

Originally Posted by soonerfan
I am one of those odd Americans that likes wagons or, in this case, the Avant. If we had a choice of an A6 Avant TDI I'd be all over it.
Mmm, A6 Avant (or allroad) with the 3.0 TDI would be awesome. That'd definitely come in over our current budget, but it'd definitely be an awesome package. But at least as you mention the Q5's got its own things going for it vs. the Avants (doesn't look anywhere near as good, but it's still a good-looking vehicle).

Quick Reply: Choosing between Q5 2.0 vs. Q5 3.0 vs. Allroad 2.0