Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

AdBlue

Old 02-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AdBlue

So before my Q5 TDI comes in the end of March, I got curious about the AdBlue service (I am new to TDI). I called my local Audi dealer (service section) and asked what do they charge for the Adblue service? Expecting a $60 or so dollars reply; nope, the reply...$220!!!!!!! This seems like a very cheap fluid that I can do myself but from what I understand, I need something to reset the computer?
Anyone doing the Adblue themselves without any issues? Any tips? I understand it's an Audi and all, but this seems like a $50 job at the most...why $220?!
Old 02-28-2014, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

If you have Audi Care, it should be included. The dealer topped off the Ad Blue at my 5K service and I expect they will continue to do the same at each subsequent service interval.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They filled mine at the 5K service and I have about 7800 miles on it. Just bought a gallon of the stuff at the local NAPA store, Blue DEF. After filling I'll reset the computer with my VAG-COM Ross-Tech cable.
Having the VAG-COM is priceless if you have VW Audi vehicles...
Old 02-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by macwm
If you have Audi Care, it should be included. The dealer topped off the Ad Blue at my 5K service and I expect they will continue to do the same at each subsequent service interval.
I have AudiCare but I keep my Audi's way after AudiCare so I got curious how much that would cost to do afterwards.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by skl1
They filled mine at the 5K service and I have about 7800 miles on it. Just bought a gallon of the stuff at the local NAPA store, Blue DEF. After filling I'll reset the computer with my VAG-COM Ross-Tech cable. Having the VAG-COM is priceless if you have VW Audi vehicles...
I heard about that and will need to get it since I will have my Q5 TDI well after AudiCare is done. Is it simple to use to reset computer?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Here you have everything explained DPF and AdBlue FAQ
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/v...pf-audi-q7.htm
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/mod...an_diesel.html
http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/13...e-Brochure.pdf

Last edited by spijun; 02-28-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by skl1
They filled mine at the 5K service and I have about 7800 miles on it. Just bought a gallon of the stuff at the local NAPA store, Blue DEF. After filling I'll reset the computer with my VAG-COM Ross-Tech cable.
Having the VAG-COM is priceless if you have VW Audi vehicles...
As far as I know VCDS does not support this function. It can only be reset with VAS (VAS 5051A, VAS 5052A....)

I'm not sure for the Q5, but it works on some models VW and Audi with AdBlue: fill AdBlue tank to top, insert the key in the ignition and turn it on without applying the brake so that the engine does not start. Wait 30 seconds ( maybe one minute ) This resets the AdBlue level sensor.

Last edited by spijun; 03-01-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! So from what i am reading, as long as I refill the Adblue prior to any message popping up on the screen, the computer will reset itself pretty much, and I shouldn't have to take it to the dealer and pay a ridiculous amount of money to top off the fluids.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Adblue fluid is all the same. For my 335d, the BMW dealer charges $16 for a half gallon. I paid $16 at autozone for a 2.5 gallon container. Poured it in, works just fine. Same works for Audi, MB, VW & new trucks.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiFreak666
So before my Q5 TDI comes in the end of March, I got curious about the AdBlue service (I am new to TDI). I called my local Audi dealer (service section) and asked what do they charge for the Adblue service? Expecting a $60 or so dollars reply; nope, the reply...$220!!!!!!! This seems like a very cheap fluid that I can do myself but from what I understand, I need something to reset the computer?
Anyone doing the Adblue themselves without any issues? Any tips? I understand it's an Audi and all, but this seems like a $50 job at the most...why $220?!
My question would be whether that quote is as part of a normal service visit or for only going in for a DEF top-off. Because I could see ending up with a total like that if you didn't combine with other services (since you'll be getting all the "minimum" charges).

But it should be simple to keep it topped off as you go so it shouldn't come up too often anyway. But I'd think as part of a fluid change service it wouldn't add as much as $200. I've only been in for my free 5K though, so didn't get to see any line charges for the AdBlue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AdBlue