Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Adblue Pump Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked the vehicle up from the dealer, they replaced the pump once more, test droves he car and it failed again. AOC recommended that the dealer pressurize the system and performed the adaptation, road tested the vehicle and it rescanned ok... Guess it's wait and see again. Fingers crossed that i don't have a recurrence.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fault P203B00 - reluctant level sensor

The MIL light went on last week on my 2014 Q5 TDI (built November 2013). I took the car to the dealer on Monday. Dealer states they replaced the Adblue control module/sensor. Picked up the car today. The service report states a Reductant Level Sensor Range Performance fault P203B8 00. The odometer reading is 7951. I'm in Southern California. The dealer is Commonweath Audi.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, add me to the failed ****-pump list. Purposefully ran my Adblue tank down to get a rough Adblue MPG. Never saw the 1500 mile warning (mentioned in the owner's manual). Got a 600 mile warning with appropriate "pitcher pouring" symbol (it's in the owner's manual). Then counted down to 550 and 500. At 500 miles left, the "pitcher" switched to a wrench and the CEL came on. VCDS indicated Reductant Pressure too low. Dealer said bad urea pump. I hypothesized to the service rep: Since this was the first time I've run the tank down, did that tax the pump enough to break it. Of course, it's supposed to work down to zero (and then not restart) and run just fine after you fill the Adblue tank. He said plausible, but who knows. They charged Audi $1283. $660 for the part plus labor. So my odo was roughly 34,000 miles. Another 16,000ish miles and I pay (plus tax). Service guy said the diesel emissions parts are not covered under the (USA) 8 yr/ 80k Federal emissions warranty. (Thinking just PCM and cats for that.) I asked him if he had seen this failure on the V6 TDI previously. Two urea pumps failed last year. Mine was the first he seen this year. So the diesel engine is good for hundreds of thousands of miles. The diesel emissions crap...apparently not-so-much...

Last edited by brutus23079; 07-28-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do you think you'll keep this Q5 beyond the factory warranty period?
Old 07-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mihar
I have a 2015 Q5 TDI that I purchased brand new and picked up in September of 2014, have had the vehicle replaced back in November of last year because of transmission issues, and since then I have had the Adblue code show up twice in my vehicle. Audi has been great at replacing the pump without issue, but this time the code popped up after they changed the pump when they took it for a test drive. Looks like the issue will need further troubleshooting and they need to escalate to Audi Canada. Apparently there is an issue with the pumps, not sure if others are in the same situation. I saw some threads on other Audi lines. Wanted to get a discussion started for the Q5's.
Just curious......what was the issue with the tranny?
Thx
Mark
Old 07-28-2015, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Do you think you'll keep this Q5 beyond the factory warranty period?
Yeah Bob, I'll roll the dice. My original plan was to keep it until the DPF was near full (meaning at least 120,000 mi). I do all the maintenance ahead of schedule, including occasionally changing the lifetime (of the affected component) ATF and coolant. We'll see how it goes. I always keep an eye out for Honda and Toyota to bring some diesels to America. Of course, they could have the very same issues with diesel emission equipment as the Germans. I tow *a lot* so I still love diesels, just that now it's a love-hate relationship. Like Scotty said in a Star Trek movie, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

Last edited by brutus23079; 07-30-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by idale
Most likely that's what it is, I'm up to 21K problem-free miles on my 2014 TDI and I haven't seen much of anything around here indicating a lot of people are running into it (but if there's a bad lot then we may see more in the nearish future -- hopefully Audi gets the problem resolved and puts a TSB out so anyone with a pump from a bad lot can get replaced easier, and hopefully before running into problems).

All cars have a lot of parts in them, and QC is never 100% no matter how hard you try, so part failures are going to happen. What matters is that the incidence rate is as low as possible and the manufacturer takes care of the issue if it's obviously not just "wear" and cracks the appropriate heads in the supply chain if there's a bad lot (vs. one or two individual parts).
Never heard of the issue until I read this thread. Purchased a '14 Q5 TDI late fall '13 and put 27k trouble free miles on it. Traded for '15 A6 TDI and have 19k issue free miles; missed the '14 Q5 TDI and found a CPO with a few more upgrades than earlier Q5; have 22k showing on this vehicle. 2 TDIs in the garage. Hmm.. after reading this thread, I am more aware of potential future issues. Tomorrow morning I might go out and ..
Perhaps this was, as one poster mentioned earlier, a bad lot making its way through a production run.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm approaching 13k miles on my '15 Q5 TDI without incident. Took delivery in late October which means it should have been built in September. Hopefully the problem is isolated.

Am curious what this means for replacing the urea on my own. I was thinking I could just add to the tank, but do I need to pressurize it to avoid problems, or does it pressurize on its own when the tank is filled?
Old 07-30-2015, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Mattman
No nothing special to be done.I've topped mine up a couple of times over the space of 25k miles and all you do is open it up and pour it in till full.Be sure to wash off any spillage because I doubt this stuff is real good for the paint finish.
As to component failures I haven't experienced any problems but I keep "touching wood" - having some on the dash is handy.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

21,622 miles on my odometer and my 2014 has been flawless except for the faulty fuel pump and my dealer replaced that very quickly.

Glad you folks posted with the issue....something to be vigilant of, but not overly concerned with. I keep looking at potential Audi model replacements for this Q5, but for me, nothing seems to hit all the right spots.

Quick Reply: Adblue Pump Problems