Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

adding visual parktronic on Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Default adding visual parktronic on Q5?

Hi,

I have this enabled on my C6, however don't see any mention of this on the Q5? It would be on a 14 Q5 w/ parking sensors in the back.

Was wondering if anyone has done this? And if so, through what module, since on my C6 the following was required:

Open Module [76] - Parking Aid

Short Coding:
0?xxxxx: Optical Illustration
0 = without Optical Illustration in Display
2 = with Optical Illustration in Display

Save changes, then enable Graphic display in MMI under the Parking menu. (Click yes when prompted for default work group coding from VCDS)

Old 11-28-2015, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Yes it is possible on Q5

Enable Optical rear parking for cars without front parking sensors

[10 - Park/Steer Assist] [16 - Security Access - 71679] do it [07 - Coding] Byte 0 - Bit 4 change 0 to 1

Last edited by spijun; 11-28-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can this be also enabled for cars with front sensors?
Old 11-28-2015, 08:28 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
Yes it is possible on Q5

Enable Optical rear parking for cars without front parking sensors

[10 - Park/Steer Assist] [16 - Security Access - 71679] do it [07 - Coding] Byte 0 - Bit 4 change 0 to 1
Module 10 - Park/Steer Assist was done away with starting 2012/2013. This cannot be enabled on non facelift cars without both front and rear sensors or the system will hiccup and not show the backup camera at all. Some have tried and ended up having to go recalibrate their backup cam.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Here's what I found on this French based website, however as McClopec mentioned, I don't even see Module 10 showing up on my Ross-Tech VCDS as "installed". As I mentioned this is for a '14 Q5 (3.0), w/rear parking sensors.

A3 (8V) ? Affichage radars de recul sur MMI | Ankk-Vagcom

Anyone know of a work-around?
Old 11-28-2015, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Module 10 - Park/Steer Assist was done away with starting 2012/2013. This cannot be enabled on non facelift cars without both front and rear sensors or the system will hiccup and not show the backup camera at all. Some have tried and ended up having to go recalibrate their backup cam.
Ok maybe not working on MY 2013-2015
I am this enable on 5-6 model A5 / A4 and Q5 MY2008-2012

And this can help

Adjust Back-up Camera Picture

[6C-Back-up Cam.] [Security Access - 16] (enter security code 22351)
[Adaptation - 10]

Channel 10 (Brightness)
Default: 50 (Set between 1-100)

Channel 11 (Contrast)

Channel 12 (Saturation)

Channel 13 (Temperature)

Last edited by spijun; 11-29-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:24 AM
Club AutoUnion

Alright. So here is my long-winded response. Im going to touch on a couple different topics...

The parking system is comprised of two separate systems. In some ways they communicate and are dependent on one another and in other ways they are not.

System #1 - Parking distance control.

From MY08-12 the parking sensors for front, rear, or both would be wired directly to a park distance control module labeled 10-Park/Steer Assist in VCDS. This control module was located in the trunk in the passenger side wheel well behind the trim panel. If you pull out that trim panel and access that area where the rear fuse panel is located, you will see two screws attached to the body of the wheel well where the module used to mount. Beginning MY2013 those mounts are now utilized for the rear seat heating control module. 10-Park/Steer Assist was eliminated and incorporated into 09-Central Elec. All sensors including the warning buzzers and park distance control button on the dashboard are wired directly into this module.

System #2 - Backup camera.

This system is labeled as 6C-Backup Cam. in VCDS. There are two types of systems that will both show up as 6C-Backup Cam.and can only be differentiated from one another via the part number and the component label in VCDS. The first system is an analog one that was optional in all models and consists of only a rearview camera. The physical control module for the backup camera has a multi pin connector as well as three analog video connectors on it. One for the backup camera connection, one for video output to the MMI control module in the front dash, and the third analog connector is for video input from the TV module. Because this control module only communicates with the MMI control module in the dash, Navigation is required if anyone wants to retrofit a backup camera. The second system was only offered in the A6/A7/A8/Q7 and is a digital system. The physical cameras for this system are different. This system could be configured as front and rear only, or front, rear, and two side cameras (Top View). The Top view system was offered in the A6 and A8. The Front and rear system was offered in the A7 and Q7. This control module consists of 4 digital camera connectors, one analog connector that goes to the MMI control unit, and one multi-pin connector. Additionally, this system will only operate if a 10-Park/Steer Assist module is present.

In order to activate the optical display on a MY08-12 vehicle, a coding change would just need to be made on 10-Park/Steer Assist and 6C-Backup Cam. The optical display could be enabled on vehicles that only had backup sensors installed as long as there was a module 10 in the car.

The MY13-Current A4/A5/Q5 vehicles are not able to activate the optical display without the front sensors installed. The coding change would need to be made in 09-Central Elec. as well as 6C-Backup Cam., but if you do so without the front sensors installed, when engaging reverse, the backup camera image will not show up on the MMI display at all and the backup buzzer will have a hissy fit. Sometimes people who have attempted to try this without installing the front sensors were surprised with a fault code on their backup camera system after reverting things back. This error was related to the backup camera losing its calibration for the guide lines. This procedure can be done at home but is not an easy one by any means. Most people will take it to the dealer and spend a couple hundred dollars to correct it.

One more point that I would like to touch on is the ability to convert a Q5's analog rearview camera only system, to the digital front and rear system as found on the Q7. This feature was never offered on the Q5 but in theory it could be accomplished. In order to have the 6C-Backup Cam module that supports the front and rearview camera, a 10-Park/Steer Assist module must be present or the camera control module will not work. This is an advantage to MY08-12 owners as their cars came with module 10. For MY13-Current owners, all of the park distance control sensor wiring would need to be separated from the 09-Central Elec. controller and a 10-Park/Steer Assist controller would need to be fitted instead. Additionally, the camera in the trunk handle of the vehicle would need to be removed and swapped out for a digital one with new wiring from the trunk to the new camera control module. Also needed would be a new digital camera with its mount for the front bumper as well as its wiring into the vehicle and back to the camera control module. To top it all off, the undocumented coding that would need to be changed in each module to correctly support the new features. This might be a fun project one day but not right now.

I hope some of this clarification helps...
Old 11-29-2015, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Since this 14 Q5 only came with rear parking sensors and no RVC the module 10 activation does NOT work at all. I could activate the RVC through the VCDS, however this did nothing, since the actual module was not installed. Perhaps after purchasing and installing the RVC control module: 8R0 907 441, it might work. But for now, it a no go.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:41 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by raj99
Since this 14 Q5 only came with rear parking sensors and no RVC the module 10 activation does NOT work at all. I could activate the RVC through the VCDS, however this did nothing, since the actual module was not installed.
This is exactly what I just said...
Old 11-29-2015, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
This is exactly what I just said...
Just saw that, after I posted

So to sum it up, I was attempting to do this so as to avoid adding a RVC, however it appears that I'll need to add RVC to even consider enabling this on my current model of Q5. Therefore, I might as well ad RVC vs. the parktronic and go from there. BTW, here's something that was shared with me re: install of RVC

Name:  Rear%20Camera%2015%20Q5_zpsmjuyh4ch.png
Views: 7027
Size:  323.1 KB

Quick Reply: adding visual parktronic on Q5?