Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Aftermarket Heated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 02:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket Heated Seats

I should be picking up my new Q5 in about 10 days. Wasn't really looking for a new vehicle, but the deal I was offered for a "year end" 2014 was too good to pass up. The problem is, it is only a premium and doesn't come with heated seats. Has anyone added aftermarket ones into a Q5? If so, what brand and was it a DIY or did you leave it to the professionals? I can do all of the wiring with ease and professional results, but not too sure about the upholstery. Not sure if I want to get a brand new seat and have a go at disassembling it. Any thoughts on difficulty of seat disassembly?
Old 12-29-2014, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So no one has installed aftermarket heated seats or is this such blasphemy that no one will do it?
Old 12-29-2014, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are heated seat kits available online. Do a Goole search. Here's one I found right away
http://www.carid.com/crimestopper/crimestopper-alarms-remote-start-38832024.htm

Originally Posted by philmil99
So no one has installed aftermarket heated seats or is this such blasphemy that no one will do it?
Old 12-29-2014, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have already done the google search and have found multiple kits. My question was if anyone had actually added them into a Q5. I can obviously google and find instructions on install, but I wanted "real world" experience with removing the seat and upholstery on the seat for the install. As far as asking what brand, that was just to hopefully get opinions on the multiple options that I have already "Googled". In a sea of digital stores online, you just can't walk in and see a product set-up and demonstrated like you could years ago. I am trying to get the best for my money based on real world opinions.
The following users liked this post:
knadsady (09-11-2023)
Old 12-30-2014, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't mean this in a rude or snobby way, but folks who frequent this forum tend to be more enthusiast level and as such, I would think the majority have at least a P+. This may be why you are having a hard time getting a response, just from a statistical standpoint.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can't remember seeing any threads on this in the last 10 mos. If nothing comes back in searches here, at audizine or myaudiQ5, you may well be one of the first to do this. Without any research into what's actually involved, it sounds like it could be a lot of work for limited upside.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Other than the upholstery part of it, everything else should be very simple. I am pretty sure that the upholstery part should be relatively simple also, but I have never done anything like this before. Maybe go down to the local scrapyard and pull a seat to see how hard they are to deal with.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlackAce
I don't mean this in a rude or snobby way, but folks who frequent this forum tend to be more enthusiast level and as such, I would think the majority have at least a P+. This may be why you are having a hard time getting a response, just from a statistical standpoint.
Statistically, I am sure that you are correct, and I am surprised that I am not special ordering a P+ for European delivery. Last two European brand cars have been special ordered and picked up in Europe. The amount of discount on the Premium is just too enticing to pass up.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Some years ago I put heated seat cushions into a car. They are typically black with colored trim, maybe an inch thick, look just like any plain seat cushion (base & back) or neoprene pad, but there's a ciggy lighter plug and switch coming out of them. Switch for top/bottom/both/off.

They work and work well, if you don't mind a thin cushion added to the seat.

If you want something like stock? Any auto upholstery shop can remove the cover from your seat, add the heating pads, and turn you over to an auto electric shop to wire them up as you please. The trick is finding a real auto upholstery shop if you don't live in California. (For instance, there may be exactly ONE left in all of metro NYC. Most of the shops job things out to someone else.)

So, it can easily be done. Or of course you could check the junk yards, or ask a body shop to do that for you. Replace your seats with a heated set from a recent totaled car, bolt out, bolt in. Cost a bit more but that's 100% OEM.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Some years ago I put heated seat cushions into a car. They are typically black with colored trim, maybe an inch thick, look just like any plain seat cushion (base & back) or neoprene pad, but there's a ciggy lighter plug and switch coming out of them. Switch for top/bottom/both/off.

They work and work well, if you don't mind a thin cushion added to the seat.

If you want something like stock? Any auto upholstery shop can remove the cover from your seat, add the heating pads, and turn you over to an auto electric shop to wire them up as you please. The trick is finding a real auto upholstery shop if you don't live in California. (For instance, there may be exactly ONE left in all of metro NYC. Most of the shops job things out to someone else.)

So, it can easily be done. Or of course you could check the junk yards, or ask a body shop to do that for you. Replace your seats with a heated set from a recent totaled car, bolt out, bolt in. Cost a bit more but that's 100% OEM.
Well I do currently love in Germany, so I guess that could either be good or bad. Plenty of scrap yards around, but not sure about upholstery shops...may be good to check into. Does anyone know if a reprogram would be required if I went strictly OEM? Obviously more costly with all the OEM option, but could be doable.