Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 09:43 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Aftermarket/Retrofit Backup Camera Advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket/Retrofit Backup Camera Advise

Hi,

I'll start with saying that my 2011 Q5 does not have navi system installed. With that out of the way, I would like to get a backup camera. Did extensive search here, but no definite answer - is there a:

- Good aftermarket system which is equal in quality to OEM?

- or a Retrofit kit? I checked the http://www.kufatec.com, but seem to be only offering this for MMI 3G, which I apparently don't have.

Any advise will be very much appreciated!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would go to reputable sound or aftermarket car shop. When I used to own one in the states we did things like that and many shops are capable of doing a clean install for you.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you, I guess I was looking for some educational advise first. I am used to researching the subject through forums, and just rely on a shop.
In addition, I would really like the system to be as close to the OEM as possible, and not sure they know it.
Anyway, and additional advise would be very much appreciated!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can't really give you expert advice since my Q5 isn't here and I haven't ever installed one in a Q5 before. But it will probably not be that bad of an install, it all depends on if the non-nav screens have video-in's in the back of it. If not some retrofitting needs to be done, but it can be done near OEM specs. The only thing I'm not sure of since I'm not doing installs anymore is if you can get the lines on the screen while you are backing up.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Additional to the non-Nav video card capability/connections would be a consideration if the non-Nav screen is of a sufficiently high resolution for effective backup camera operation. If not then it too may have to be replaced when installing the camera.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my other car, I have a small backup camera installed that is not as nice as the mmi setup, but it supplements the audio backup sensors that came stock on that one quite well...

as stated, Car Toys, etc (not the best buys of the world) may give you a cleaner install, but don't think it would be integrated into the other systems of the car like the mmi is...

good luck !
Old 07-05-2011, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

PM me for more information on aftermarket GPS/camera integration using existing 6.5" non Navigation equipped cars.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have made some progress, located an aftermarket dealer overseas. One question I have for someone who knows the subject - does my car (Q5 2011), without navigation (Concert radio), have MMI or non-MMI system?
It appears that it's non-MMI, but I am getting conflicting information. Any suggestions?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Eugeneflim, this is the answer to your question and a helpful link...

Technically without Nav you do not have a true MMI, but your 6.5" screen has decent resolution for backup display and most MMI features are still there, operated with radio and controls on the dash rather than down lower on the console.

But it is possible to have a good backup camera, that will look and function just fine. The following thread shows the backup camera I had installed in my non-Nav Q5, plus links to the manufacturer and some installation info.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2781844

Everyone should know by now the factory Nav package comes with other nice features including a full blown MMI, higher resolution 7" screen, DVD, frt and rear bumper beepers, and sharper display of driver info w/ white letters instead of reddish between instrument clusters, if not having any of these is a show stopper for anyone.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you, this confirms my "non-MMI" solution. I actually found these guys too, and called, but they are out for at least 2 months. I have also located another supplier, directly from China, and quite a bit cheaper, and riskier as well. But I may take the chance, will post my results, if people are interested.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket/Retrofit Backup Camera Advise