Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Air conditioner bar graph in center display

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Air conditioner bar graph in center display

I was driving my 2015 Q5 TDI today and was messing around with the right stalk.. The one that lets you select what is displayed. It has 2 different sections... It looks like section 2 lets you look at avg MPG and actual MPG, displaying a green diesel icon, AND a bar graph of air conditioning with marks at 1/8 and 1/4... What is that all about? Section 1 lets you cycle thru different views like date/time, speed, avg MPG, current MPG, etc, but no bar graph...
Old 03-27-2015, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not an A/C bar, that's a fuel consumption bar that shows how much fuel you're consuming per hour or something, and underneath it lists contributing factors like A/C or seat heaters.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

COOL! The air conditioner was off at the time, so it seemed strange that it showed that title... But u are right the units were gal/hr...
Old 03-27-2015, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

@Barraged: How exactly do you get to that display?
Old 03-28-2015, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

The stalk on the right side has a button on the end (toggle up/down) and one on the button that selects either #1 preset or #2 preset. The #2 preset lets you display actual MPG and avg. MPG, and shows a green diesel icon. If you scroll thru using the toggle, you will see the bar graph... Let me know if this is clear enough to understand...
Old 03-28-2015, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

My car also displays the A/C even when it's not switched on.

I think that display is referred to as the Economy display or something to that effect.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Barraged
COOL! The air conditioner was off at the time, so it seemed strange that it showed that title... But u are right the units were gal/hr...
By A/C being "off" do you mean that it wasn't running, or the A/C switch itself was turned off (no light)? I think as long as the A/C is enabled (not necessarily active), it'll show as a factor there, whether it seems to be actively working or not. It might simply be a listing of which switches are in the 'on' position that might be taking power rather than checking if each is currently drawing any power.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

AC switch is off...
Old 03-30-2015, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

AC switch is off...
Seems odd that it was still showing in the consumption list, since presumably the A/C won't be used if it's been switched off (unless it's something silly like it won't be used to cool but can still be used for humidity reasons). I assume there's some good reason for it, but I've no idea what that would be.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

The stalk on the right side has a button on the end (toggle up/down) and one on the button that selects either #1 preset or #2 preset. The #2 preset lets you display actual MPG and avg. MPG, and shows a green diesel icon. If you scroll thru using the toggle, you will see the bar graph... Let me know if this is clear enough to understand...
Thanks, Barraged! I will check this out when I get back into my car when I leave the office today. One of the many things I have yet to discover in this amazing vehicle.

Quick Reply: Air conditioner bar graph in center display