Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Aluminum Satellite Inlays

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Satellite Inlays

First off, thanks again to all for your previous input regarding my questions about the Q5 TDI. They're really helping me to ultimately make the right choice! Can't wait until my Q5 arrives

Now, my parents are also interested in a Q5 TDI for themselves. They particularly like the Mythos Black Metallic with the S-Line Package and we all like the Fine Grain Ash, but they are having a really hard time imagining having a car without aluminum inlays. We have them in my A4 and in their A5 and they really light up the interior.

However, we do not want them if they are brushed aluminum (they DING!). I tried to google search Aluminum Satellite but no luck finding a clear pic. Does anybody know if the inlays are brushed or are they closer to the ones in the A4/A5?

Thanks again!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:13 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gagethrash
First off, thanks again to all for your previous input regarding my questions about the Q5 TDI. They're really helping me to ultimately make the right choice! Can't wait until my Q5 arrives

Now, my parents are also interested in a Q5 TDI for themselves. They particularly like the Mythos Black Metallic with the S-Line Package and we all like the Fine Grain Ash, but they are having a really hard time imagining having a car without aluminum inlays. We have them in my A4 and in their A5 and they really light up the interior.

However, we do not want them if they are brushed aluminum (they DING!). I tried to google search Aluminum Satellite but no luck finding a clear pic. Does anybody know if the inlays are brushed or are they closer to the ones in the A4/A5?

Thanks again!
They are not brushed. They are a pattern. I love them but they scratch REALLY EASY!
Old 07-03-2015, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe this will help....keep in mind I took these with my cell phone.

The Wood inlays are from my wife's 2014 Q5.

The Aluminium inlays are from my 2015 Q5.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My aluminum is brushed and dinged to high heaven. I need to replace it with wood.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe the problem is when we release our seat belts, the buckle or retainer slaps against the door trim. I notice marks on our layered oak trim in our 2014 Q5 TDI. I would imagine it is more of a problem with aluminum trim.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My first Audi was a 2011 A3 TDI, sport package, aluminum inserts.... My wife's engagement ring always scratched the aluminum insert around the door latch. I almost opted for the aluminum option on my 2016 Q5, but I really like the gloss wood finish on her 2013 Q7 wood trim.
I wish Audi would have offered the piano black inserts and the flat bottom steering wheel without the high gloss black package. I ordered my Q5 (TDI) in white. The piano black inserts and flat bottom steering wheel without the gloss black package would be nice, I like the chrome and brushed aluminum trim.
I would have ordered a SQ5 TDI if it was offered in the US. Audi USA, are you listening???
Waiting for my Q5 that's been in port over 2 weeks...
Old 07-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by El Kabong
My first Audi was a 2011 A3 TDI, sport package, aluminum inserts.... My wife's engagement ring always scratched the aluminum insert around the door latch. I almost opted for the aluminum option on my 2016 Q5, but I really like the gloss wood finish on her 2013 Q7 wood trim.
I wish Audi would have offered the piano black inserts and the flat bottom steering wheel without the high gloss black package. I ordered my Q5 (TDI) in white. The piano black inserts and flat bottom steering wheel without the gloss black package would be nice, I like the chrome and brushed aluminum trim.
I would have ordered a SQ5 TDI if it was offered in the US. Audi USA, are you listening???
Waiting for my Q5 that's been in port over 2 weeks...
According to Audi, their SQ5 TDI wouldn't meet emission regulations unless an AdBlue system was added, and they weren't able to integrate it. What a darn shame, as I too would love an SQ5 TDI.

Hope you like your new TDI! Hoping to get mine as soon as a good deal on a used one arises it's the perfect blend of automobile attributes I've been looking for -- at a reasonable price!
Old 07-03-2015, 10:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DanMontgomery
Maybe this will help....keep in mind I took these with my cell phone.

The Wood inlays are from my wife's 2014 Q5.

The Aluminium inlays are from my 2015 Q5.

Those photos definitely help -- I can see the pattern in the aluminum inlays and it definitely reminds me of the ones in our cars, only better looking Thanks
Old 07-04-2015, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem,

If you need any more....just let me know

V/r
Dan