Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TDI fuel nozzle issue...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TDI fuel nozzle issue...

Noticed from the first time I filled up last fall when I got my TDI that the nozzle never seemed to go in that far when refilling. Never really an issue until today when I stopped at a station I'd never been to before to refuel. The nozzle had a spring around it almost to the end (and to be honest I never really noticed on any of the other usual stations I've used to refuel) and the nozzle would not go in very far at all. Pushed harder than I wanted to to and the fuel leaked around the opening so I quit after a second or two of trying to fill. Tried again with same issue. Said screw it and went back to my usual station. Not sure if it was just something weird about that particular pump...

Have to be careful in Iowa to find the stations that have regular diesel and not the bio-diesel crap!!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure this is a TDI issue. On my 2.0T, I really have to exert some force to get the pump into the opening. Never had a car previously that was so "tight".
Old 05-12-2014, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by stash64
Not sure this is a TDI issue. On my 2.0T, I really have to exert some force to get the pump into the opening. Never had a car previously that was so "tight".
Same here. I really have to work it to get the nozzle in.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had any issues on my TDI. With the protections in place for trying to prevent a "wrong" nozzle fitting in, I could see there potentially being some fitment issues if the nozzle's not quite to spec, though. I could see Iowa being one of those places (seems like the Midwest has more people finding diesel nozzle issues like the big "truck" size).
Old 05-12-2014, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by idale
Never had any issues on my TDI. With the protections in place for trying to prevent a "wrong" nozzle fitting in, I could see there potentially being some fitment issues if the nozzle's not quite to spec, though. I could see Iowa being one of those places (seems like the Midwest has more people finding diesel nozzle issues like the big "truck" size).
Which is why we carry one of these in our TDI...even in the northeast it's proven to be useful!
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2014, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've seen the truck sized nozzles that don't fit and just avoid them, too many others to choose from without the hassle. I did pick up an adapter that would let me pump from a truck nozzle if an emergency dictated, like while traveling, but I haven't had to use it.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Blatum- what type of "adapter" is that? Will have to look around at the local O'Reilly's etc I guess and throw it in for emergencies...
Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

<<<@!1!@>>>

eBAy - $13 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-AUDI-OEM-000072709-Diesel-Fuel-Nozzle-Adaptor-Adapter-/271450665535?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f33b8723f&vxp=mtr
Old 05-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by stash64
I too have had difficulty getting the nozzle into my 'normal' gas Q5 on occasion.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Amazon has them too if you're not into eBay.

Quick Reply: TDI fuel nozzle issue...