Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Any tire updates for 21" Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
"The Atturos are sooooo much cheaper that it's a bit concerning...but also tempting. Does anyone know anything about the brand?"

Yes I can offer an opinion on these tires.Former garage/tire shop owner.These tires are made in China and marketed under the "Sailun" name - at least here in Canada.They are the only brand of Chinese tire I felt comfortable selling to my customers.They're a good/safe tire allround but as with most things you get what you pay for.They will wear faster than major brands but once you get into 19"> the differences are less important and the lower price easily compensates.
Thanks MurrayA4, I had also read on another forum that they're made by "Federal tire" Do you know anything about that company? Also, any thoughts about road noise or trouble balancing?
I've also read a lot of opinions that basically ask 'why would you risk put $100 tires on a $70k car?' But I wonder what those abstract "risks" are?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LASQ5
Thanks MurrayA4, I had also read on another forum that they're made by "Federal tire" Do you know anything about that company? Also, any thoughts about road noise or trouble balancing?
I've also read a lot of opinions that basically ask 'why would you risk put $100 tires on a $70k car?' But I wonder what those abstract "risks" are?
LASQ5
Well therein lies one of the big problems when buying Chinese tires in that it is very difficult determining who makes the product and takes responsibility for it on a given month/day.Were they made in government factory #667 or #1221.
Federal tire is also a brand I sold but only for winter tires.They were similar to Sailun and I had no issues.With both brands I would say that road noise or trouble balancing was not an issue.My concern with any of these lesser known products is safety.I certainly don't count on our governments to ensure that nothing substandard gets into our countries.In my case my supplier was a major tire distributor who actually tested- road&track- the products they sold me and thus I was confident that even these inexpensive products were safe and would perform reasonably well, all the while keeping in mind that when you're paying that much less for something there has to be a reason.
I guess to summarize if you asked me "would I put these on my own vehicle ?" I would reply no but that would be due to a personal bias against using products from China (when possible -rare !) but 2 of my sons use these brands on their cars and I sleep well at night.
As to the $100 tire on $70k car issue ,my opinion is that if manufacturers want to continue upsizing wheels for cosmetic reasons people will tend towards finding alternative products when faced with absurd sticker shock at the tire counter.
When I take my Alfa to the track the first thing I do is bolt on my 14" track wheels.They might look small by today's norms but they work much better than a larger tire/wheel.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Atturo seem less noisier and more comfy on the road than the OEMs.

Also, I heard they are made in Taiwan, which IMO is leagues above and beyond made in China.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies. This is a good discussion. If anyone out there has put Atturos on your Q, I'm sure we'd all love to hear what you think of them!
MurrayA4, I too am concerned about safety with this relatively unknown brand. I'm hoping to find more real world reviews

Last edited by LASQ5; 04-22-2015 at 01:13 PM.