Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anybody else bust off the sun visor hook?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not just you. My wife broke ours yesterday. I tried some superglue, but it didn't hold.

This is ridiculous. Audi should redesign that part.

Who else is in for a class action suit?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Broke the driver side clip the other day. Design of the clip is stupid. It has a necked down area just where the most bending stress would be - right where the hook joins the base.

Ordered a new clip ($40 ouch!), but also attempted a repair on the old one.

Mated the two pieces and drilled a hole (the best I could) from the top of the base through the back of the hook. Slid a slender (1/16" or so) aluminum rod (steel would be better - but I didn't have handy) into the hole and epoxied (JB Weld) the whole thing together, filling the hole around the rod. One it cured, clipped the rod top and bottom and filed flush. So far, it's working.

The rod and epoxy act as a dowel to hold the two broken pieces together.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
So far so good. My 12 yr old boy hasn't killed it yet...maybe it's an anti-male thing.
haha
Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

BOTH of mine are broken... cheap parts IMO...
Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was charged $55.00 at my dealer, and had to wait for it to be shipped in. Installation turned out to be easy. I agree, it should be made stronger. This should never happen in such an expensive vehicle.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had to have both of my visors replaced under warranty as they would slowly move out of position when they were lowered to block the sun. The dealer stated that they had a fair amount of replacements for this reason as well.

Now I have to worry about the hooks! Crazy.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's definitely not a robust design. There's a photo of another broken one posted here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...rated-2870548/

I found a clip at ECS Tuning for $32.24 today. That's noted as a 23% discount from $42.00. Shipping cost remains undetermined; read on.

After pulling my old one out and seeing the necked-down thin area where it broke, I ordered three for $3.30 (total, including shipping) on eBay. They are scheduled to be delivered direct from China in about two weeks.

This is my first post. Should I feel dirty about this? Am I risking my finely wrought German automobile? Do I need to top it up with genuine VAG visor clip fluid after installation? Is there a break-in period?
Attached Thumbnails Anybody else bust off the sun visor hook?-visorclips.jpg  
Old 09-06-2016, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Civilguy
It's definitely not a robust design. There's a photo of another broken one posted here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...rated-2870548/

I found a clip at ECS Tuning for $32.24 today. That's noted as a 23% discount from $42.00. Shipping cost remains undetermined; read on.

After pulling my old one out and seeing the necked-down thin area where it broke, I ordered three for $3.30 (total, including shipping) on eBay. They are scheduled to be delivered direct from China in about two weeks.

This is my first post. Should I feel dirty about this? Am I risking my finely wrought German automobile? Do I need to top it up with genuine VAG visor clip fluid after installation? Is there a break-in period?
After my wife broke one of the clips I too ordered several off of eBay. Alas they did not fit. The real kicker is that she also broke the same part on our Mazda and from it dealer it only cost $2.60.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bhiggins80@gmail.com
After my wife broke one of the clips I too ordered several off of eBay. Alas they did not fit. The real kicker is that she also broke the same part on our Mazda and from it dealer it only cost $2.60.
Well, I've got the handsome sum of $3.30 at risk here.

I notice on the old one that one of the inserts is larger than the other, and the photos online looked OK. You don't think they maybe photographed a genuine part?! Anyway, none of the previous buyers seemed to be complaining, so I'll wait and see how it goes.

I recently ordered SS hardware off Amazon and didn't notice that it was coming directly out of China. The hardware was delivered in just nine days after I ordered. What a world we live in.

If these arrive and don't work, maybe I'll forage around for a large safety pin or put some Velcro on the headliner or something.

Naw, I wouldn't go that far, but the VAG price is pure extortion.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha!

Just did mine 2 weeks ago...thought it was me.

Snapped right off!

Jason

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody else bust off the sun visor hook?