Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 430

Default Anyone have steering updated in last month or so?

Are you happy with the update, or not?

My 2014 Q5 is 1 year old and going in for 5K service (only 3500 miles on it), and even though my Q5 slightly wanders (needs constant correction) on the interstate, if the update makes it worse I will tell the service manager to skip it.
Bob Petruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
Account #: 26081

Default Isn't it already "updated"?

I asked on my 2013 Q5 that came through the port only in Sept 2013 given its Euro delivery. The dealer checked and said the update was done at the port for any of the vehicles passing through that had not already been done. I thought all the 2014's had it already as well.

FWIW, I just had mine aligned, now at 14.5K miles. My wife tends to "park by Braille," and sure enough the front toe on the right side was marginally out of spec already. And it made the difference between indifferent tracking/wandering and surer tracking once again.
Current #1: '06 D3 A8L W12 brilliant black w/ amaretto; 4 seat setup, CPO; modestly lowered, H&R 20mm rear and 12mm front DRs with 275/35 on OEM polished + forged 20's; S8 sway bars (see: rear bar and gen'l D3 bar info and front bar); tweaked 385mm front factory brake mod and matching rear brake mod; matching C6 A6 back headrests (better rear view: headrest tweak); owner installed AMI retrofit with part number details here. [If you want pics in foregoing links, ask AW where they went...used all to work] Upper control arm reference (+ more info in replies) here. Lower cost D3 OES sway bar links here.
Current #2: 2013 Q5 2.0T hybrid; Scuba blue w/ chestnut sport interior; Euro delivery 7/2013 (pictured at Ingolstadt); RS5 front brakes
Prior (each modded): 2000 C5 A6 4.2 & '96 C4 A6 2.8Q, both still w/ family; '85 C3 5000S 5 sp FWD; '73 C1 100LS

helpful cross reference to a C6 post with MMI and other TSB's that also cover D3 A8's.

MP4.2+6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 184703

You can try this
box is under 44-electric steering assist module > coding > long coding > byte 0 > bit 4 uncheck box for "Driver Steering Recommendation"

Driver Steering Recommendation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Driver Steering Recommendation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excuse me for my English

Last edited by spijun; 06-12-2014 at 11:55 PM.
spijun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 250943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Petruska View Post
Are you happy with the update, or not?

My 2014 Q5 is 1 year old and going in for 5K service (only 3500 miles on it), and even though my Q5 slightly wanders (needs constant correction) on the interstate, if the update makes it worse I will tell the service manager to skip it.
When I first picked up my '13 last April, I had a ~60 mile drive through full-on construction, Illinois Tollway style -- this means, they "keep all lanes open", but what it really means is 2 lanes of traffic plus shoulders is crammed into 1 3/4 lanes with barriers on each side and you swerve back and forth around all the BS at speed... That drive is kinda rough even if you're familiar with the car, but with steering wander it was a$$-puckering But, after the first 30-40 miles, the wander went away and has not returned.

Fast-Fwd to 15k service a month ago. The advisor highly recommended the steering update even though I wasn't having the issue. Against my better judgement, I had them do it out of curiosity. Absolutely no change for the worse or better. I honestly cannot tell any difference. So while I was hoping for a bit more feel, or some unrealized improvement, I'll just be happy and go with not making it worse.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the positive reply......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSVT View Post
When I first picked up my '13 last April, I had a ~60 mile drive through full-on construction, Illinois Tollway style -- this means, they "keep all lanes open", but what it really means is 2 lanes of traffic plus shoulders is crammed into 1 3/4 lanes with barriers on each side and you swerve back and forth around all the BS at speed... That drive is kinda rough even if you're familiar with the car, but with steering wander it was a$$-puckering But, after the first 30-40 miles, the wander went away and has not returned.

Fast-Fwd to 15k service a month ago. The advisor highly recommended the steering update even though I wasn't having the issue. Against my better judgement, I had them do it out of curiosity. Absolutely no change for the worse or better. I honestly cannot tell any difference. So while I was hoping for a bit more feel, or some unrealized improvement, I'll just be happy and go with not making it worse.
do you know the update version that may be listed on your serivice invoice?
Old 06-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, I can do that ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spijun View Post
You can try this
box is under 44-electric steering assist module > coding > long coding > byte 0 > bit 4 uncheck box for "Driver Steering Recommendation"

Driver Steering Recommendation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and will try it after I get the steering update in the next 2 weeks. I just want to see if the update makes it better or not.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 250943

Quote:
do you know the update version that may be listed on your serivice invoice?
I will check tonight after work. I am pretty sure it was listed.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 View Post
I asked on my 2013 Q5 that came through the port only in Sept 2013 given its Euro delivery. The dealer checked and said the update was done at the port for any of the vehicles passing through that had not already been done. I thought all the 2014's had it already as well.

FWIW, I just had mine aligned, now at 14.5K miles. My wife tends to "park by Braille," and sure enough the front toe on the right side was marginally out of spec already. And it made the difference between indifferent tracking/wandering and surer tracking once again.
Your 2013 may have the the latest revision if it came through the port in Sept 2013. My Q5 was the very first 2014 to arrive in the in the US and it came in June, 2013. I can tell by my coding rev that I am at least one revision behind, and they may have come out with another in the last month or so.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 184703

Quote:
Your 2013 may have the the latest revision if it came through the port in Sept 2013. My Q5 was the very first 2014 to arrive in the in the US and it came in June, 2013. I can tell by my coding rev that I am at least one revision behind, and they may have come out with another in the last month or so.
There is only one version upgrades 48K8. All models manufactured after 01.july. 2013 have the new software

Click the image to open in full size.

Excuse me for my English

Last edited by spijun; 06-13-2014 at 01:33 PM.
spijun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spijun View Post
There is only one version upgrades 48K8. All models manufactured after 01.july. 2013 have the new software

Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks, I need that update.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement