Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anyone have steering updated in last month or so?

Old 06-12-2014, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Anyone have steering updated in last month or so?

Are you happy with the update, or not?

My 2014 Q5 is 1 year old and going in for 5K service (only 3500 miles on it), and even though my Q5 slightly wanders (needs constant correction) on the interstate, if the update makes it worse I will tell the service manager to skip it.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Isn't it already "updated"?

I asked on my 2013 Q5 that came through the port only in Sept 2013 given its Euro delivery. The dealer checked and said the update was done at the port for any of the vehicles passing through that had not already been done. I thought all the 2014's had it already as well.

FWIW, I just had mine aligned, now at 14.5K miles. My wife tends to "park by Braille," and sure enough the front toe on the right side was marginally out of spec already. And it made the difference between indifferent tracking/wandering and surer tracking once again.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

You can try this
box is under 44-electric steering assist module > coding > long coding > byte 0 > bit 4 uncheck box for "Driver Steering Recommendation"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_Steering_Recommendation

Last edited by spijun; 06-12-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Are you happy with the update, or not?

My 2014 Q5 is 1 year old and going in for 5K service (only 3500 miles on it), and even though my Q5 slightly wanders (needs constant correction) on the interstate, if the update makes it worse I will tell the service manager to skip it.
When I first picked up my '13 last April, I had a ~60 mile drive through full-on construction, Illinois Tollway style -- this means, they "keep all lanes open", but what it really means is 2 lanes of traffic plus shoulders is crammed into 1 3/4 lanes with barriers on each side and you swerve back and forth around all the BS at speed... That drive is kinda rough even if you're familiar with the car, but with steering wander it was a$$-puckering But, after the first 30-40 miles, the wander went away and has not returned.

Fast-Fwd to 15k service a month ago. The advisor highly recommended the steering update even though I wasn't having the issue. Against my better judgement, I had them do it out of curiosity. Absolutely no change for the worse or better. I honestly cannot tell any difference. So while I was hoping for a bit more feel, or some unrealized improvement, I'll just be happy and go with not making it worse.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the positive reply......

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
When I first picked up my '13 last April, I had a ~60 mile drive through full-on construction, Illinois Tollway style -- this means, they "keep all lanes open", but what it really means is 2 lanes of traffic plus shoulders is crammed into 1 3/4 lanes with barriers on each side and you swerve back and forth around all the BS at speed... That drive is kinda rough even if you're familiar with the car, but with steering wander it was a$$-puckering But, after the first 30-40 miles, the wander went away and has not returned.

Fast-Fwd to 15k service a month ago. The advisor highly recommended the steering update even though I wasn't having the issue. Against my better judgement, I had them do it out of curiosity. Absolutely no change for the worse or better. I honestly cannot tell any difference. So while I was hoping for a bit more feel, or some unrealized improvement, I'll just be happy and go with not making it worse.
do you know the update version that may be listed on your serivice invoice?
Old 06-13-2014, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, I can do that ....

Originally Posted by spijun
You can try this
box is under 44-electric steering assist module > coding > long coding > byte 0 > bit 4 uncheck box for "Driver Steering Recommendation"

Driver Steering Recommendation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and will try it after I get the steering update in the next 2 weeks. I just want to see if the update makes it better or not.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you know the update version that may be listed on your serivice invoice?
I will check tonight after work. I am pretty sure it was listed.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I asked on my 2013 Q5 that came through the port only in Sept 2013 given its Euro delivery. The dealer checked and said the update was done at the port for any of the vehicles passing through that had not already been done. I thought all the 2014's had it already as well.

FWIW, I just had mine aligned, now at 14.5K miles. My wife tends to "park by Braille," and sure enough the front toe on the right side was marginally out of spec already. And it made the difference between indifferent tracking/wandering and surer tracking once again.
Your 2013 may have the the latest revision if it came through the port in Sept 2013. My Q5 was the very first 2014 to arrive in the in the US and it came in June, 2013. I can tell by my coding rev that I am at least one revision behind, and they may have come out with another in the last month or so.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Your 2013 may have the the latest revision if it came through the port in Sept 2013. My Q5 was the very first 2014 to arrive in the in the US and it came in June, 2013. I can tell by my coding rev that I am at least one revision behind, and they may have come out with another in the last month or so.
There is only one version upgrades 48K8. All models manufactured after 01.july. 2013 have the new software

Last edited by spijun; 06-13-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by spijun
There is only one version upgrades 48K8. All models manufactured after 01.july. 2013 have the new software

Thanks, I need that update.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have steering updated in last month or so?