Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Care question

Old 11-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read quite a few threads saying that Audi Care is worth getting. From the brochure is says it covers 5 years of maintenance BUT I am unsure if there is a mileage limit. If this is the case I would definitely get it. Btw what is the official price of Audi Care for 3.0T?

Last edited by James W. '01 1.8T; 11-08-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by James W. '01 1.8T
I've read quite a few threads saying that Audi Care is worth getting. From the brochure is says it covers 5 years of maintenance BUT I am unsure if there is a mileage limit. If this is the case I would definitely get it.
Audi Care summary:
Scheduled maintenance included per the service manual at 15K, 25K, 35K and 45K miles or every 12 months after the 5K service, whichever comes first.
It can be purchased at any time (but it makes sense to do so no later than the 15K service).
No refunds for unused service. Fully transferable to a new owner (but not to a different vehicle).
Can be used at any Audi dealer in the country of origin.

Here's my analysis of Audi Care:
http://wiki.audiworld.com/index.php?...sis&oldid=2228

Audi Care brochure:
http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...ombined_j2.pdf
Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default There are also nuances: some may apply to TDI's and one definitely does to Hybrids.

AudiCare covers what is on the maintenance checklist for the various intervals. The nuance is for anything unusual about the vehicle that can cause more or different service. I learned this big time when I got it for my 2006 A8 W12, including the extended component out to 75K miles. At that time it was the same cost regardless of vehicle, from 4 banger's A3s or 4s all the way to the W12. Needless to say, the deal of all time for a motor with 12 plugs, 13 qts of synthetic and 40/35K major service intervals instead of 55/50K. I priced it out and found parts alone were more than what AudiCare cost me at the time. No brainer there.

Fast forward to the Q5 Hybrid. It has an ATF change w/ in the AudiCare window. Again, I suspect that changes the math on the Hybrid meaningfully in favor of AudiCare, since it prices out the same on the Hybrid.

On the TDI's, I don't know the particulars of the service, but someone might want to look at it with sharper pencil against the TDI specific service spec. There are no spark plugs, so that's an important parts and labor parts reduction that makes AudiCare less valuable. It does have AdBlue, but then now you can buy that at virtually the corner parts store. I don't know about any special fuel filter type maintenance, where diesels in general are more sensitive to fuel/water issues.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-08-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On TDIs, I asked the dealer if the two filter changes listed on Audi's scheduled maintenance webpage were included in AudiCare (15k and 35k). They said yeah they should be. I showed them the AudiCare brochure that doesn't say anything about fuel filters for TDIs.

Looking at the 2013 Q7 TDI maintenance schedule vs Audicare, AC covers Adblue and that's it. I asked dealer to show me writing that fuel filters would be covered for my TDI. All they would say is the 2014 Audicare brochure isn't out yet (like it's gonna change). My guess is that it would be included, but really Audi, if you're going to write a laundry-list format of what's covered, then be thorough about it. Otherwise it invites legal "gotchyas" for charging for service on the maintenance schedule, but not officially listed in the Audicare brochure. Perhaps others can chime in that their dealers did accomplish all items on the maintenance schedule and not charge extra for services omitted in the AC brochure (like TDI fuel filter and Hybrid ATF changes). Does the "real" Audicare contract you sign include these things? ....just don't want to give the dealer any sneaky legal "outs".... Thx.

2013 Maintenance Schedule: http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...-Year-2013.pdf

vs

2013 Audicare laundry list: http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...ombined_j2.pdf
Old 11-09-2013, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi Communications

Audi seems to have a tough time getting things right in their communications whether it be brochures, web site, etc. Lots of errors, omissions, etc. It doesn't reflect well on their premium brand positioning.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by acadianbob
Audi seems to have a tough time getting things right in their communications whether it be brochures, web site, etc. Lots of errors, omissions, etc. It doesn't reflect well on their premium brand positioning.
I agree. It's not what I'd call bad but as you say it doesn't reflect well on the brand. The online brochure has a modern contemporary look but is a little short on information. Not a deal breaker for me just an observation.

I've had several interactions with Audi Customer Service on the phone and that has been top notch each time. I had two Lexus before the Audi and the Audi Customer Care is more responsive and informative than Lexus.

Last edited by Q5 Bob; 11-09-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I agree. It's not what I'd call bad but as you say it doesn't reflect well on the brand. The online brochure has a modern contemporary look but is a little short on information. Not a deal breaker for me just an observation.

I've had several interactions with Audi Customer Service on the phone and that has been top notch each time. I had two Lexus before the Audi and the Audi Customer Care is more responsive and informative than Lexus.
Everything in the scheduled maintenance list is covered AC with exception of items excluded in AC brochure (wiper blades, battery). Anything not listed in scheduled maintenance is included in new car warranty unless specifically excluded.

So TDI fuel filters are covered under AC.

This is the way I read it.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default +1

This has both been my experience and my read--all comes down to what is on the Audi specified maintenance list.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Reassuring to hear folks, especially in this age of "caveat emptor". Thanks for the inputs.