Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 23863

Default Audi Connect Renewal?

For those of you that did not renew Audi Connect in advance, did it run out/expire on the date indicates in the mail you received about renewing the service?
ser968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 267530

Around that time frame, within a couple days for me.
osideaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 281183

Default Audi Connect

I'd pretty much decided to let the Audi Connect expire, but in the last few days I found myself using it to locate the nearest Panera store as well as a Home Depot....It really is quite a powerful tool, which would be invaluable while travelling. Now I'm thinking I just might keep it. I
USAVAGEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 271573

i just got my reminder email that mine expires in a month. haven't decided yet on what to do.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member

My intent in asking the original question was that I heard from another owner that his service was never shut off after the trial period, so I was wondering if that was common or a one-off event.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 281183

Is the other owner sure he still has Audi Connect? I believe that if it expires, navigation reverts to whatever is on the hard drive....not sure which Audi uses. The sattelite and 3-D imaging is via sattelite, along with all the otber goodies. Can't imagine why Id want eight WIFI hotspots in a four seat car, but they're there only with A.C.
I find it hard to imagine that Mobile1 or Sprint, whoever is the carrier would let this slip for very long
USAVAGEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 285456

Does anyone know if the T-mobile price might go up in the future and if we should buy it even when under our six month trial so we are at least locked in etc...??
imdakine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
AudiWorld Member

I would think that if anything, the price would go down as this is merely 3G service.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753

To clarify, Audi Connect can be renewed at any time directly with T-Mobile using their $450 prepaid 30 month unlimited data program (which works out to $15 @ month vs. the $30 monthly cost). Other sim providers are also available like P-Tel and TruPhone that utilize a pay-for-use-as-you-go acct. also on the the 3G T-Mobile network. These alternative services can be less expensive than the effective $15 @ month T-Mobile program unless Google Earth is frequently used outside of the immediate cached area or the wifi hotspot is used. Both can be real data hogs.

Soon after the trial period, if not right away, T-Mobile will turn off the sim's access to the internet. This will result in a loss of the dynamic Google Earth overlay, Google online search, Send to Car, the various apps, i.e. gas, events, weather, parking, etc. and wifi hotspot. The Google Earth overlay will be cached on the hard drive for an approx, 20 mile radius of your last position. As soon as you leave the area though, it will disappear since there will be no connection to the internet to update the Earth overlays.

If AC is discontinued, the internal base map of course will remain, including the 3D building graphics available in many large city centers. Also unaffected will be the MMI's built in POI database, however, this is significantly limited compared to the dynamic online Google search (and is static unless the hard drive is updated to a later nav version, a not inexpensive undertaking available only from an Audi dealer).

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/49K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 269322

Mine shut down after about 1-1.5 weeks after the "expiration" date, after which I renewed.

arrtewwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement