Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Connect Renewal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Connect Renewal?

For those of you that did not renew Audi Connect in advance, did it run out/expire on the date indicates in the mail you received about renewing the service?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Around that time frame, within a couple days for me.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi Connect

I'd pretty much decided to let the Audi Connect expire, but in the last few days I found myself using it to locate the nearest Panera store as well as a Home Depot....It really is quite a powerful tool, which would be invaluable while travelling. Now I'm thinking I just might keep it. I
Old 08-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i just got my reminder email that mine expires in a month. haven't decided yet on what to do.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

My intent in asking the original question was that I heard from another owner that his service was never shut off after the trial period, so I was wondering if that was common or a one-off event.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is the other owner sure he still has Audi Connect? I believe that if it expires, navigation reverts to whatever is on the hard drive....not sure which Audi uses. The sattelite and 3-D imaging is via sattelite, along with all the otber goodies. Can't imagine why Id want eight WIFI hotspots in a four seat car, but they're there only with A.C.
I find it hard to imagine that Mobile1 or Sprint, whoever is the carrier would let this slip for very long
Old 08-12-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Does anyone know if the T-mobile price might go up in the future and if we should buy it even when under our six month trial so we are at least locked in etc...??
Old 08-12-2014, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would think that if anything, the price would go down as this is merely 3G service.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

To clarify, Audi Connect can be renewed at any time directly with T-Mobile using their $450 prepaid 30 month unlimited data program (which works out to $15 @ month vs. the $30 monthly cost). Other sim providers are also available like P-Tel and TruPhone that utilize a pay-for-use-as-you-go acct. also on the the 3G T-Mobile network. These alternative services can be less expensive than the effective $15 @ month T-Mobile program unless Google Earth is frequently used outside of the immediate cached area or the wifi hotspot is used. Both can be real data hogs.

Soon after the trial period, if not right away, T-Mobile will turn off the sim's access to the internet. This will result in a loss of the dynamic Google Earth overlay, Google online search, Send to Car, the various apps, i.e. gas, events, weather, parking, etc. and wifi hotspot. The Google Earth overlay will be cached on the hard drive for an approx, 20 mile radius of your last position. As soon as you leave the area though, it will disappear since there will be no connection to the internet to update the Earth overlays.

If AC is discontinued, the internal base map of course will remain, including the 3D building graphics available in many large city centers. Also unaffected will be the MMI's built in POI database, however, this is significantly limited compared to the dynamic online Google search (and is static unless the hard drive is updated to a later nav version, a not inexpensive undertaking available only from an Audi dealer).
Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Mine shut down after about 1-1.5 weeks after the "expiration" date, after which I renewed.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect Renewal?