Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi connect SIM – online without borders (NA for Q5)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Audi connect SIM – online without borders (NA for Q5)

Audi is now equipping its new models that use the second-generation modular infotainment platform with Audi connect SIM. The advantage of factory-installed SIM card: Customers can immediately use the wide range of Audi connect services with the accompanying data flat rate for up to three years – even outside Germany.

The Audi connect SIM is used in all new models that include the second generation of the modular infotainment platform. These are currently the Audi A3, the A4, the new A5, the Audi Q2 and the Q7. Other model series will follow. The Audi TT, the R8, the A6 and the A7 are currently excluded from this new offer.

But is does not support the current Q5 (;

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...t-borders-6239
Old 05-31-2016, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Well, I take it you haven't seen the new pricing plans associated with this. $199/6months or $750/30months just to use Audi connect. Want to use the Wifi hotspot, that'll be a seperate subscription on top. That's a steep increase over being able to add the MMI to one's AT&T Shared Data plan for $10/months for everything.

https://www.audiusa.com/technology/i...e/audi-connect (Scroll to the bottom)

Last edited by superswiss; 05-31-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Well, I take it you haven't seen the new pricing plans associated with this. $199/6months or $750/30months just to use Audi connect. Want to use the Wifi hotspot, that'll be a seperate subscription on top. That's a steep increase over being able to add the MMI to one's AT&T Shared Data plan for $10/months for everything.

https://www.audiusa.com/technology/i...e/audi-connect (Scroll to the bottom)
Those prices do give some pause. If you don't like the cost, just get standard MMI package (non-nav) and CarPlay / Android Auto. No monthly costs.

But here you go and get an nice Audi at a premium price. Don't you want to pay a little more to show off the Audi internet technology.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Those prices do give some pause. If you don't like the cost, just get standard MMI package (non-nav) and CarPlay / Android Auto. No monthly costs.

But here you go and get an nice Audi at a premium price. Don't you want to pay a little more to show off the Audi internet technology.
Yes, those options exist. I wouldn't balk at the cost. Have had quite a bit of seat time in a 2017 A4 with Virtual Cockpit. CarPlay is garbage, though, based on my first hand experience. Android Auto looks pretty good, but in order to use it I would have to get a toxic hellstew Android phone, and that's not gonna happen anytime soon, but either way, once you have experienced the Virtual Cockpit, having the dumbed-down phone UI limited to the center display feels a bit toyish, that's aside from the fact that CarPlay in it's current form is a buggy hobby project at best.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-31-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

I understand the concept here, but having dedicated SIMs is so yester-year. I'd much prefer having the option to piggy-back on my current mobile plans and allow them to be leveraged. For example, I'm on T-Mobile and say what you want about there service in the US, their partnership and such intl make them very compelling. Especially when internet usage is included in their plans for intl.

BTW, tethering is what i'd be doing in my car: https://thetechycorner.wordpress.com...-google-earth/
Old 06-01-2016, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yes the design so so pre-internet and pre-mobile
on my last BMW 530i, BMW wanted me to BUY their $ell phone vs BYO

i agree, just BYO and tether the car to my BYO and no vice-versa. Who wants multi plans. I just want one!

The techycorner looks like a very good post
i will look into in

Last edited by waninae39; 06-01-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm of the opinion that devices which are expected to be online essentially whenever they are powered up should have their own dedicated SIM and connection. My phone and my car fall into this category. I expect them to be online at all times. Tethering to my phone is great for occasional use, for example if I need a connection on my laptop and I'm not near a usable Wifi network, but my phone's hotspot is turned off most of the time and I only turn it on when needed. I don't want the inconvenience of having to turn on the hotspot every time I get into the car and remember to turn it off when I get out.

To handle the plans reasonably, the AT&T Shared Data plans are IMO the way to go. The data is shared between all devices. In my case I have my phone, my wife's phone and the car on my shared data plan. The car is only an additional $10/months. That's worth it to me for the convenience of having an always on connection in the car w/o having to remember to turn on my phone's hotspot and drain the battery.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-01-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

here are an extensive set of posts (25 pages) on how to make it work outside the USA

New Google MMI installed in 3G car 100% workingNew Google MMI installed in 3G car 100% working - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum