Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

The Audi Look-Back...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The Audi Look-Back...

You've just parked your Audi and you're walking to your place of business, home, friend's place, restaurant, etc. At some point prior to entering the building, you turn back to look at that beautiful vehicle. Come on...you've done it.

I thought I would start a thread where we can share those embarrassing moments when your eyes aren't pointed in the direction they should be.

Okay...I'll start.

While walking from my freshly washed SQ5, I did the Audi look-back and tripped over a parking stop. I tripped real good, but with a little twist, I managed to land on my ***. So, while sitting there I re-tied my shoe in an "I meant to do that" sort of way. I didn't see anyone looking, but it was in front of a glass building, so there were probably several folks I entertained that morning.

Anyone else care to share an embarrassing "look-back" moment?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

lmao.

No such stumbles for me but I will admit to looking back.

Steve
Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar...but different

Tying your shoe...Riiiight! Mine is not embarrassing, but funny.
Where I work, my window faces directly out to my parked SQ5, and I admire it constantly...still!
Our buisness is with many international customers, and one day one of the German engineers here for meetings was walking around and around my SQ5....peering into the windows etc. I decided to have some funwith him. Every time he got close to the car, I pushed the lock buttun on the remote...giving it a little beep. He still looked at the car but kept his distance.
Because I actively look for other SQ5s, I know they are actually pretty rare, and this guy knew what he was looking at......so I went out and gave him the tour, and took him for a ride at lunch time. He was a really nice guy who was considering a TDI in Germany, But was enamored with the supercharged petrol version. I hope he got his SQ5!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm OCD about making sure my cars are locked, so I'll be verifying that the mirrors are folding (was at least locked at one point) and hit the lock button several times to hear the beep and try and see the lights flash. So I look back a whole lot, but I've got lots of practice so no mishaps (yet, at least).
Old 09-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I look back as well as look for reflections in glass. I will admit anytime I get a chance to see the reflection from a buildings windows I'm looking to see it. Luckily I haven't tripped yet, but I plan on keeping the car for several more years so I have still have some time.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have to admit that when I was not in the market for cars I never even thought about the Q5. As I began looking to replace my 2006 Subaru Outback XT over the past few months, the Audi Allroad, Volvo V60, Subaru Outback 3.6R were the top of my list.

I eliminated the Volvo V60 early for not real reasons except that it was nice, in my opinion decent looking, but nothing that blew me away.

I actually liked the new Outback 3.6R a lot as the front the look of the car was clean with the front and rear. The interior improved with touch screen and limited buttons the biggest negative was the small moon roof only above the driver and passenger. My old outback XT was a full panoramic that opened even further than the Q5.

I was hoping the Allroad would blow me away since it was the size car I wanted. I am a big wagon fan and not a big fan of SUVs. The Allroad was a stiffer/firmer ride which my wife found uncomfortable.

Subaru Outback 3.6 R vs Q5

I now was leaning toward the new 2015 Outback 3.6R. Subarus are relizble, the AWD is great, the MPG is better and all models take regular gas not premium. Subarus are super popular where I live in Santa Cruz, CA and are the dominant car company. The surf, kayak, and mountain bike activities make it a perfect all around car.

I was told that if I didn't like the Allroad that I should try the Q5. --- Initial thought was why would I try a Q5 when don't like SUVs. I than did some research and was SHOCKED to find out that the Q5 is shorter and lower than the new Outbacks which made the comparison a bit more fair than I initially thought.

Loving the Q5

After test driving the Q5 it reminded me of my 2002 Audi A4 which I loved. The 2.0 was nice, never looked at the 3.0 or SQ5 and fell in love with the TDI. It's strange to think that I literally never thought about the Q5 and always thought when I saw them that they looked "okay" but I thought the tail lights being all red (when not lit) was a bit strange.

Now... I can't help but to "look back" at the car as I think it's one of the nicest crossover vehicles or SUVs on the road. Beyond the interior which we all know is amazing... The clean front headlights and sleek rear tail lights are amazing. Totally with my choice and fully recognize I drive a crossover/SUV. The more I park near other vehicles I realize it truly is more of a crossover vehicle as it isn't as tall or large as I initially suspected.

Love my Q5 TDI!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by imdakine1
I was told that if I didn't like the Allroad that I should try the Q5. --- Initial thought was why would I try a Q5 when don't like SUVs. I than did some research and was SHOCKED to find out that the Q5 is shorter and lower than the new Outbacks which made the comparison a bit more fair than I initially thought.
Interesting that the Outback's now gone full CUV (and bigger than the Q5 at that) -- I remember when they were literally just a slightly-taller wagon.

But people should definitely be cross-shopping the Q5 and allroad since the allroad is the only A4 Avant we get anymore (lifted wagon), and the Q5 is the CUV version (just with a ton of extra engine options, such as the awesome TDI ). I still don't know why the allroad comes at such a large premium (~$2K more than a similarly-configured Q5), other than the Avant Tax being in full force and them wanting to push the Q5 as a volume seller.

I'm a wagon guy, too, having driven nothing but wagons (Volvo 245, B5.5 Passat Wagon) or wagon-derived vehicles (my Odyssey and now Q5). The allroads are great-looking wagons and I wish there were more wagon options, it just doesn't quite work as well as the Q5 for me (no TDI, slightly less room, more expensive). I get to see one every once in a while at our local Audi lunches, though, so that's nice. The Q5 is awesome, too, just I do like the wagon lines a bit better.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

@idale I'm a total wagon guy and really wanted the Allroad since it reminded me of my 2006 outback XT. My outback XT was just slightly taller but over all the same kind of stance. The new outbacks are larger and more CUV/SUV like etc... The second photo is a comparison of my new 2014 Q5 TDI vs a 2014 Subaru. The new 2015 Subarus have a nicer setup with their front headlights but the size is similar.

I was shocked to find out that the outback is actually less wide as the Q5 but over all ios longer and taller. I would have never guessed. You definitely sit higher in the Q5 as you almost still feel like you are in a car when driving the outback.

I loved the original AllRoad with the adjustable suspension. Those were great!

The dealers were willing to cut amazing deals on the allroad as no one wants them in the US which is a shame. If it drove less firm I would have an allroad today.

I love my Q5 TDI but am still am a major wagon fan!

Q5 TDI compared to 2014 or 2013 Subaru Outback

My old 2006 Subaru Outback XT (250 hp turbo)... Closer to the current Allroad size!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SQive
You've just parked your Audi and you're walking to your place of business, home, friend's place, restaurant, etc. At some point prior to entering the building, you turn back to look at that beautiful vehicle. Come on...you've done it.
I do not recall looking back as you describe, but my wife and I get our shopping started first thing on Saturday mornings. I love the walk back to the car. We are usually parked in a mostly empty lot and the morning sun reflecting off of the paint is just beautiful.

I always get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside...
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2014, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by imdakine1
@idale I'm a total wagon guy and really wanted the Allroad since it reminded me of my 2006 outback XT. My outback XT was just slightly taller but over all the same kind of stance. The new outbacks are larger and more CUV/SUV like etc... The second photo is a comparison of my new 2014 Q5 TDI vs a 2014 Subaru. The new 2015 Subarus have a nicer setup with their front headlights but the size is similar.
Yeah, saw a newish Outback today... total full-on CUV, when did this happen? I'm used to the older ones like your 2006: just a wagon that's been raised up and is maybe a little taller (the Forester then was the "tall wagon").

The dealers were willing to cut amazing deals on the allroad as no one wants them in the US which is a shame. If it drove less firm I would have an allroad today.
They start $2K above a same-option Q5, so the deals had better be amazing! Still, really nice-looking wagons, just wish the Avant Tax wasn't so huge as it makes them less-attractive for people to buy.

Quick Reply: The Audi Look-Back...