Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi is losing my wife to BMW!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Audi is losing my wife to BMW!

After 4 years, my wife's Q5 warranty is up and while it has been completely reliable and a great car for 35k, it has used a lot of oil.
As result, in our quest for a replacement, we first drove (and dismissed) the SQ5, Macan, and Evoque, as she wants something a little different looking. But the lower gas mileage on all of them turned her on to the Q5 TDI. We drove one and was really impressed with the torque. So started talking turkey with our dealer and wanted to make a deal, but unfortunately, there are no more 2014 to be ordered, and the 2015 does not come with the S-line package ( she really wants sports seats ). That's where the X3 28d came into the picture.

So unless it all goes to hell, she is getting the M-sport version in less than 6 weeks ( assembled in SC?).
Oh well, she tried to stay Q5 and wouldn't have left if they just had the S-line packag , and at least I am staying with the brand!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

As I remember there are sports seats as option for MY2015 ????
Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
As I remember there are sports seats as option for MY2015 ????
Yes, there's a Sport Pkg that gives you paddle shifters on a 3 spoke seteering wheel, seats, Drive Select and a black headliner. I think it forces you into two interior colors: black or brown
Old 07-10-2014, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Yes, there's a Sport Pkg that gives you paddle shifters on a 3 spoke seteering wheel, seats, Drive Select and a black headliner. I think it forces you into two interior colors: black or brown
Yep, Sport Interior package still exists, and that's what gave you the seats anyway before (S-Line just required selection of Sport Interior). Sport seats are indeed only available in black or brown (unless you do the whole Audi Exclusive thing that's available for 2015 sport seats).

A TDI will be missing the ability to have the S-Line exterior, and nobody gets the flat-bottom wheel or suspension anymore, but you can certainly still get the seats and paddles which I think are the most important pieces anyway (didn't go for S-Line on my TDI, just the interior).
Old 07-10-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Yeah, but she wanted the S-line package including some type of contrast stitching on the seats. Had to be a little different than the stock Q5 look this time. I really wanted her to get the SQ5!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was in your same situation this last weekend. Luckily I found a Daytona Grey S Line TDI. I know for sure there are a couple of dealers near me that still have the S Line available, but color choices are limited. Did you try expanding your search outside of your immediate area?
Old 07-10-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
Yep, Sport Interior package still exists, and that's what gave you the seats anyway before (S-Line just required selection of Sport Interior). Sport seats are indeed only available in black or brown (unless you do the whole Audi Exclusive thing that's available for 2015 sport seats).

A TDI will be missing the ability to have the S-Line exterior, and nobody gets the flat-bottom wheel or suspension anymore, but you can certainly still get the seats and paddles which I think are the most important pieces anyway (didn't go for S-Line on my TDI, just the interior).
We missed out by like a few weeks in being able to order a 2014 the way she really wanted it.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by togatown
Yeah, but she wanted the S-line package including some type of contrast stitching on the seats. Had to be a little different than the stock Q5 look this time. I really wanted her to get the SQ5!
Could've sprung for the "Audi exclusive line interior", but that requires Prestige so unless you were already ticking all the boxes anyway it'd be quite the expensive package just for some contrasting stitching ($12K from a P+).

Of course in the end what matters is that she has a car that works for her and she's happy with. I think the TDI would be much better than the 28d (and the Q5 as a whole better than the X3) but obviously I'm biased, and even if it's possible to get what she wants in a Q5 it may be a lot more than you guys want to spend due to all the prerequisites. Maybe if Audi had brought the real SQ5 (twin-turbo TDI) over it wouldn't've been a problem.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HOiYA
I was in your same situation this last weekend. Luckily I found a Daytona Grey S Line TDI. I know for sure there are a couple of dealers near me that still have the S Line available, but color choices are limited. Did you try expanding your search outside of your immediate area?
Nice, you got lucky! They claim they tried in 500 mile radius of upstate NY for a 2014 S-line in a gray or silver color and no luck. Has black now and done with that color.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
Could've sprung for the "Audi exclusive line interior", but that requires Prestige so unless you were already ticking all the boxes anyway it'd be quite the expensive package just for some contrasting stitching ($12K from a P+).

Of course in the end what matters is that she has a car that works for her and she's happy with. I think the TDI would be much better than the 28d (and the Q5 as a whole better than the X3) but obviously I'm biased, and even if it's possible to get what she wants in a Q5 it may be a lot more than you guys want to spend due to all the prerequisites. Maybe if Audi had brought the real SQ5 (twin-turbo TDI) over it wouldn't've been a problem.
That's the thing, the ticket price jumps way up and she didn't want to get the Prestige package and doesn't even want Navi this time around. The power of the BMW is definitely less but the steering felt sharper.

Quick Reply: Audi is losing my wife to BMW!