Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 accesory rear bumper film

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the the dealer install the film and what was supplied was totally inadequate. I am not sure if it was a genuine Audi part or a local installer, but the film is very narrow, has a large gap between its trailing edge and the inside edge of the bumper, and only just extends down over the leading edge of the number. I bought it so that my two golden retrievers didn't scratch the bumper when getting in and out, but it is to me it is an incomplete solution. I paid $65.

Where did others get the black plastic covers? I would have gotten one of those.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Niteshade
Where did others get the black plastic covers? I would have gotten one of those.
The only US importer that I'm aware of is NGP Racing. I don't think it's available on their website, so you'll probably have to call.

http://www.ngpracing.com/store/index...iew&page_id=34
Old 05-29-2016, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodW
A couple of us installed one of these ...

I realize this is a real old string, but can you tell me where you got that bumper protector? Looking for one before my wife totally destroys it. Can't find anything like it when I search online..
Old 05-30-2016, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

NGP Racing
Old 05-30-2016, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HotRodW

Great, thanks, I plan to give them a call tomorrow. Looks like it's not on their website..
Old 05-30-2016, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same protector as HotRodW. It has survived two Canadian winters so far and having my wife's walker dragged over it a zillion times and still looks good. My Q is white and the black one looks like a factory option. Took 10 minutes to attach including the careful cleaning to ensure tit would stick.
Recommended.

FWIW there is a thread somewhere on here that lists another supplier... I don't remember the name but I got mine from them. Same manufacturer in the UK tho'

Last edited by timlocke; 05-30-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by timlocke
I have the same protector as HotRodW. It has survived two Canadian winters so far and having my wife's walker dragged over it a zillion times and still looks good. My Q is white and the black one looks like a factory option. Took 10 minutes to attach including the careful cleaning to ensure tit would stick.
Recommended.

FWIW there is a thread somewhere on here that lists another supplier... I don't remember the name but I got mine from them. Same manufacturer in the UK tho'
Thanks Tim. Just so I'm clear, did you get it from the same place HotRodW did (NGP Racing)? There are several sellers out there who sell variations of this product, but I thought the one HotRodW looked best. Also, has anyone had any difficulty getting their AUTOMATIC rear hatch door to close (with button). A reviewer on Amazon who bought a version of this protector indicated his door would no longer close automatically once he installed his. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Used the gen-you-whine Audi film and cannot recommend it. Inside of 18 months it was badly discolored, looked like a mold or something was growing in dark splotches under or in the film itself. It was incredibly difficult to remove.

In contrast the 3M film on the front of the car was and is still pristine.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Used the gen-you-whine Audi film and cannot recommend it. Inside of 18 months it was badly discolored, looked like a mold or something was growing in dark splotches under or in the film itself. It was incredibly difficult to remove.

In contrast the 3M film on the front of the car was and is still pristine.
Would you happen to have a link to this 3M film? I'm wondering if I could use it on my rear bumper? Entire front of my car is already covered in Xpel film (a bit too expensive for me to wrap any more of my vehicle with Xpel!)

Last edited by Moonlightblue; 05-30-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, I think I just found the 3M on Amazon:
Amazon.com: 3M Scotchgard Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 6-by-84-inches: Automotive
Not as good as HotRodW's protector I'm betting..

Last edited by Moonlightblue; 05-30-2016 at 09:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Audi Q5 accesory rear bumper film