Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 reliability - better info - please sign up

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FitzLA
No offense but I checked out your site and it kinda sucks. Sorry but there are much better car reliability sites out there.
So, how much thinking and investigating did you do before rushing to dump all over my site?

I'm going to guess not very much.

If CR and JD Power were doing a decent job, I wouldn't be doing this. But they aren't, so I am.

Some key differences for you:

1. Timeliness of results. If enough Q5 owners sign up to participate, we can have an initial reliability stat for it this fall. CR won't have reliability info on the Q5 until the fall of 2010, JD Power not until the summer of 2010.

Is having to wait another 7-12 months for results, and then having to wait another year for the next update of those results, "much better?"

2. Numerical results. Let's assume that when CR and JD Power do have reliability results for the Q5, it scores one "dot" worse than a competitor. How much worse is it? How many more repairs is it likely to require? Based on the information provided by CR and JD Power, YOU CANNOT TELL HOW LARGE THIS DIFFERENCE ACTUALLY IS. Usually, it's much smaller than the vague ratings provided by those sites have led people to think it is.

Perhaps you think CR and JD Power and "much better" because they are simpler. Well, this is one of those cases where simpler means you haven't a clue how old their data are--over a year old currently in CR's case--or what repair frequencies their ratings actually represent.

They provide the simple, slow-reacting "idiot lights" of car reliability information. Last I checked, most Audi drivers who aren't posers prefer instruments to idiot lights.

If you want to actually know how much cars differ in reliability, and not just think you know, we're not only better than they are--they aren't really alternatives at all.

How soon will we actually have results for the Q5? Depends on how soon we have enough Q5 owners who want to make them happen. Some people enjoy building new things. Others enjoy tearing down what others build. We're looking for people in the first group

Details and enrollment form here:

Car reliability research

Last edited by mkaresh; 05-19-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkaresh
So, how much thinking and investigating did you do before rushing to dump all over my site?

I'm going to guess not very much.

If CR and JD Power were doing a decent job, I wouldn't be doing this. But they aren't, so I am.

Some key differences for you:

1. Timeliness of results. If enough Q5 owners sign up to participate, we can have an initial reliability stat for it this fall. CR won't have reliability info on the Q5 until the fall of 2010, JD Power not until the summer of 2010.

Is having to wait another 7-12 months for results, and then having to wait another year for the next update of those results, "much better?"

2. Numerical results. Let's assume that when CR and JD Power do have reliability results for the Q5, it scores one "dot" worse than a competitor. How much worse is it? How many more repairs is it likely to require? Based on the information provided by CR and JD Power, YOU CANNOT TELL HOW LARGE THIS DIFFERENCE ACTUALLY IS. Usually, it's much smaller than the vague ratings provided by those sites have led people to think it is.

Perhaps you think CR and JD Power and "much better" because they are simpler. Well, this is one of those cases where simpler means you haven't a clue how old their data are--over a year old currently in CR's case--or what repair frequencies their ratings actually represent.

They provide the simple, slow-reacting "idiot lights" of car reliability information. Last I checked, most Audi drivers who aren't posers prefer instruments to idiot lights.

If you want to actually know how much cars differ in reliability, and not just think you know, we're not only better than they are--they aren't really alternatives at all.

How soon will we actually have results for the Q5? Depends on how soon we have enough Q5 owners who want to make them happen. Some people enjoy building new things. Others enjoy tearing down what others build. We're looking for people in the first group

Details and enrollment form here:

Car reliability research
I did a lot of research, even signed up. Half the cars I looked for, I couldn't even find any info on at all. Great job. Oh, and by the way. We're all entitled to our opinion. Think about that next time before you come here to promote yourself and dump all over me.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

And the claws have come out.....
Old 05-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlackPrestige
And the claws have come out.....
Zzzzzzing!
Old 05-23-2009, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did a lot of research, even signed up. Half the cars I looked for, I couldn't even find any info on at all. Great job. Oh, and by the way. We're all entitled to our opinion. Think about that next time before you come here to promote yourself and dump all over me.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Just suggesting that "it sucks" might not be the best way to express it.

Also consider that you might be a "glass half empty" kind of guy. My perspective: I just started this research a few years ago, with very little in the way of a budget. Even so, I did have information on half of the models you checked--based on data that's a year ahead of the people who've been doing such research for decades--post actual repair frequencies and not just dots, post every repair description submitted, and do all of this for free.

I'm offering to provide initial reliability stats on the Q5 way ahead of anyone else. We've done this for other models, and we can do it for this one. The system is in place. At this point, it's all up to owners--including the people here.

Sorry if I feel offended when I bust my tail to make this possible, and your response is, "it sucks." I actually welcome constructive criticism. But I can't do a thing with "it sucks."

Last edited by mkaresh; 05-23-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Over 1,800 Audi owners signed up to help so far, but just a handful for the Q5.

I've done pretty much all I can do to provide the most thorough, up-to-date reliability information on the Q5. The rest is up to owners.

Car reliability research

Last edited by mkaresh; 08-11-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

More Q5 owners have signed up recently. If this continues, we'll add it to the survey next month.

To help make this happen:

Car reliability research
Old 08-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think someone is Jealous they didn't think of this idea first. I really think this guy has a great thing started!!! KUDOS!!!

Before I became a working professinal, I was "in developement". I started out by first going to Kindergarten, then I went to elementary school, then middle schoo, highschool and so one.

I didn't become an expert in my field overnight. It took time.

The person who is creating this website needs data. Data doesn't create itself over night. The data has to build from peoples input over time. I assume this person doesn't have millions of dollars to pump into reviews and the connections to the auto industry that JD has as well as Consumer Reports.

I like this persons idea because this is raw, unbiased, user input data. That is what I like to see. Facts and figures, not black or red dots.

KUDOS to this person who is trying to make something great. I believe in what you are trying to build and don't let little people keep you down.

In our prefessional worlds we see leaders and we see followers. We see employees that mock and turn up their heads to a peer that gets a promotion or someone whom receives a award for their hard work. I once had an old friend say to me "don't let anyone keep you down, you're on a rocket ship and don't look back"

I know I may be a little over the top, but I started a motorcycle rental company from scratch. i had one motorcycle I was renting out and now I'm up to five. I had many people tell me that this was a stupid idea and it will never work becuase I live in the midwest and we have a winter. Well, my dream keeps building year after year and I'm proud of that, as you should be proud of your website.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the encouragement, it's helpful. Starting this research from scratch has certainly given me a greater appreciation for anyone who has started their own business.

Back when I had only 2,000 cars signed up I had people telling me that their was no point in what I was doing because, well, only 2,000 cars were signed up. Now that nearly 52,000 cars are signed up...same thing sometimes.

I've learned that many people are simply unable to project into the future. They automatically assume that whatever they see--at a glance--is not only all there is but all that there will ever be.

Needless to say, JET is not one of these people, or he would never have started AudiWorld. Which might be why he started supporting this research back when only a couple thousand cars were signed up.

I have added the Q5 to the survey. While we're not yet to the minimum sample size, it is now clear that we'll get there.

Car reliability research
Old 09-10-2009, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm just concerned with the reliablity of the electronics with this car. I hope the battery and alternator can hold up long term.

Quick Reply: Audi Q5 reliability - better info - please sign up