Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 TDI 2014 15,000 km with squeaking brakes

Old 11-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q5 TDI 2014 15,000 km with squeaking brakes

Dear Audiworld readers,

Please tell me that I am not the only one with loud squeaking brakes early in the morning and when the car sits for awhile. I complained to my dealer and they told me it is normal for an Audi....which it is not normal in my point of view for a $60,000 car. You had to see the people in downtown Montreal last week when I stopped at a light, wow !!! great advertising for Audi

I filled an official complaint with Audi Canada and I got a call back today to tell me all Audi have this problem...which again it is not normal. My previous car was a Q5 2011 2.0T with 65,000km when I traded it and I never had squeaking brakes.....This is not a Toyota Corolla this is an Audi.

Please tell me that I am not the only one and that Audi Canada is serious and wants to keep their car owners.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My SQ5 pads have groaned since day one at the point just before full stop and I find they have rather poor bite and release characteristics. On top of that, now they've starting squealing at very low speeds. I don't know if our pads are the same, but I hate these things. Doesn't matter if they're warm or cold.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Never had an issue and I have over 105k miles on my 2010 Q5 Prem+
Old 11-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine started squeaking at 32k miles. I replaced the front pads with Hawk Performance Ceramic pads and it hasn't made noise since. I have a set for the rear too for when they go but, there is still plenty of life left in the stock pads.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not normal, in the USA there is a tsb and a " promise " of a fix. Meaning that they are working for a solution. Bottom line once you change the pads (at your expense ) .... it goes away !

Yeah not a happy camper.....
Old 11-27-2014, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My '14 Q5 TDI started doing the same thing at about 18k miles. The screeching metal on metal squeal is loud enough to wake the neighbors when my wife leaves in the morning. It drives her crazy. It goes away after the first several brake applications. I stood out in the driveway to watch her leave a few days ago, the odd thing was that the squeal continued as she drove down the block for about 50 ft. It was as if she was driving with the brakes on. I'll bring it up at our next service. As you say, disappointing for a premium level auto.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
My SQ5 pads have groaned since day one at the point just before full stop and I find they have rather poor bite and release characteristics. On top of that, now they've starting squealing at very low speeds. I don't know if our pads are the same, but I hate these things. Doesn't matter if they're warm or cold.
Absolutely the same issue with my SQ5 from day one. Completely unacceptable for a $70,000 vehicle. Response from dealership is noise is due to construction of brakes, and the fact they are "performance" brakes.

I have opened a case with Audi Canada and plan to keep pushing until it is rectified or vehicle is returned to dealership. It is ridiculous to think we would have to deal with an annoyance such as this on a vehicle at this price point.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just rolled 10K miles...no squeaks or rattles.
Actually, I've had no problems at all.
Must have been a good day at the Ingolstadt plant.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQive
Just rolled 10K miles...no squeaks or rattles.
Actually, I've had no problems at all.
Must have been a good day at the Ingolstadt plant.
Or weather is _way_ better in Tx

Below ~40F, the first stop in the morning has always squeaked. Given (what I consider) great performance of the 3.0T brakes and low/no dust, I think it's a great compromise. After the initial stop to warm them up a touch, no noise.

I've posted this in other threads about the 2013+ brake noise, but I'll say it again: pad formulation is a delicate balance between noise, performance, dust. Given that there's a need here to include brakes that will stop a 4,000lb+ SUV from potentially 130-150mph with low drama and no fade, performance must be high on the list. I don't know how you trade off the other 2. Prior to 2013, the board was filled with complaints about dust, similar to BMW and Mercedes. Audi must have made a major shift in 2013 because these are about the most dust-free pads I've seen for an OEM "performance" pad. The noise? A minor irritation I'll live with given the right choices (IMO) in the other 2 areas.

And...therein lies the problem, many others would balance the other way -- more dust, less performance for quieter brakes. I don't know how Audi wins here short of offering different pads as an option.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2014 TDI does the same thing. Also I have noticed that with the colder temperatures now it seems to be worse and lasts beyond the first application to the second and third... I have 10,000km and noticed it from almost new but in the warmer months it was far less noticeable and only happened on the first application.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Q5 TDI 2014 15,000 km with squeaking brakes