Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi warranty worthless to us

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Unfortunately one good puddle with hot brakes can cause the exact braking problems you describe. While that situation is often not avoidable sometimes it is avoidable by lane choice etc.
In my experience, I have seen brakes and rotors replaced under warranty when a wheel bearing goes bad or if a module relating to the brakes causes the a rotor or pad issue.
Also sometimes after sales from surveys etc has been known to throw a bone your way.
Insurance is another option, but I always try to keep them out of it.
No auto manufacturer that I know warranties brakes on their own. My advice is once you give it a good fight (and it looks like you did) move on its not worth the stress.

Last edited by rdA4WtQ5; 07-08-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Ontario. We left for the Alaska panhandle on July 1st. The car had 6800 Kms on it at that time. We made it to jasper Alberta after they (the brakes) started mildingly thumping going through the mountains with hardly any use at all. After examining the rotrs in jasper I saw how terrible they were.

In order to fix before proceeding to Stewart we had to backtrack to Edmonton where the Audi dealer did the repair. We have since resumed our trip and are in fact in Stewart at the moment and have just come back from a mountain climb to the Salmon glacier. Google it. This one of the roads I learned to drive on 40 years ago! Hmmm...
Old 07-18-2016, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just got these photos from dealer out west. Do they look right for a car with 6800 Kms it. Sorry that's sarcasm. I'm sure others will suggest it all my fault but....Audi continues to deny the "warranty". Have asked my dealer for assistance. Not holding my breath from Audi. But thought there might be some interest. Zoom in and have a look.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Seems queerer than a three dollar bill (that would be a six loonie bill, to the OP) but apparently a number of forum members think it is completely possible and normal for brake rotors to magically fail, miserably, in less than one year or 5000 miles.

In the States, life is different. Dealers and manufacturers pretty much know that they will lose, and pay dearly, once the legal system gets that kind of case. Of course if you did not keep the original failed rotors, all you have left is pictures and that's a weakness.

But here in the States, we have small claims court (often under $50 for you, but requiring legal counsel for the corporate guys) and we have lawyers who will send out a "lawyer's letter" warning of formal legal action (often $100 to start the letter going) and here, yes, I have long seen this kind of *rap resolved 100% in favor of the car owner that way.

There's just no way in hell that brake rotors fail due to evil spells or mystical vapors. Something has to be very wrong with the rotors themselves, which we call a PRODUCT DEFECT, unless you've been driving through alkali lakes and pools of battery acid.

But apparently you'll get no sympathy or useful advice here. So look elsewhere for professional aid. Perhaps retaining counsel, perhaps taking hostages, all depends on what other "reasonable" approaches you can think of.

I knew of one new car owner (Buick Riviera actually) who brought his new car in for new brakes claiming they'd failed way too soon. The zone office authorized the repair under warranty, the dealership did it. Couldn't find any thing wrong. Couple of folks did notice his brake lights were always on. Couple of months later...same dance. On the SECOND time around, he vehemently denied he was driving with his foot on the brakes all the time. But he was, as proven by the brake lights, and he had to deal with it out of his own pocket.

Last edited by Redd; 07-18-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Insurance is another option, but I always try to keep them out of it.
I've never seen a standard auto insurance policy cover brakes or any other repairable item for that matter not caused by a collision. Even extended warranty companies will slam the door on covering brakes.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Show pics to my mechanic brother... mostly because I like road trips too and was curious to help. Without a doubt, it is salt corrosion combined with keeping it in a heated garage given you live in Ontario. Taking it on a nice long road trip was probably all it needed to manifest.

More info: How to prevent your car from becoming a hot mess - The Globe and Mail

Learned a lot reading that, it all makes sense now.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like the trade school guy I stalking about body panels and sheet metal. A painful lesson the Japanese learned after class actions suits in the US in the 1980's, because they used thinner cheaper metal panels and their "galvanizing" wasn't up to par compared to the Detroit products.

Audi comes with what, a ten year corrosion warranty on the sheet metal products? Indicating that at some point, they're aware of what ordinary corrosion issues are.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcampbell3
Just got these photos from dealer out west. Do they look right for a car with 6800 Kms it. Sorry that's sarcasm. I'm sure others will suggest it all my fault but....Audi continues to deny the "warranty". Have asked my dealer for assistance. Not holding my breath from Audi. But thought there might be some interest. Zoom in and have a look.

So, I don't see any big time corrosion on the back rotors at all, and on the front hard to tell what is dust and what is rust. Some is obviously rust on the inner hat area, but that looks like the standard transfer of rust I have seen on any Audi from the hub metal to the rotor inside face, "California" (good weather) cars included. The pitting toward the outside edge of the front rotors looks unusual--seems like inside "side" of front rotors in picture.

What of course I don't find here--and almost never do it seems--are what are the basic measurements on the rotors. I would NEVER agree to have someone do brakes on a vehicle at my expense if they say something is "worn" without seeing measurements. It's all in the data, not the qualitative hand wave or stories or what ever. And in the data when pushed or I have seen numbers, not uncommonly the rotor is within wear specs. When the dealer (or other shop) is pushed, they sometimes seem to say, oh well we figure by time the next pads wear out they will be below spec so should be done now. Baloney to me if/when heard most of the time unless it is close to the spec. min but just inside it. But, no actual wear/spec. data here unless buried elsewhere in thread.

Net, sort of late now, but I would have gotten wear spec. numbers at the time. To be on my way I would have asked to have rotors resurfaced--likely fronts only--and new pads installed since something seems like it may have been awry there. At least I would have had a discussion. You can debate the fronts from what I see and maybe even concede to replacing rotors. Seeing pad faces might have told a bit more too. On the other hand...I am not honestly seeing anything convincing the rears were at issue. Said bluntly, you may have been taken for a ride there unless the hard wear numbers say the rotors were near or below spec and/or the pads show something pretty odd (and even then, likely being pads only). I don't see an obvious wear lip on any of the rotors, which is the poor man's way to know if a rotor is well worn. Would take more pics to assess that further. Also to be fair, pictures of fronts are inside faces, while rears are outside faces. If rear inside faces had questions like the front ones do toward the outer edge, back to more debatable.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-18-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Seems I'm not the only one with defective Audi brakes!

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...eally-2897637/
Old 07-21-2016, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Sounds like the trade school guy I stalking about body panels and sheet metal. A painful lesson the Japanese learned after class actions suits in the US in the 1980's, because they used thinner cheaper metal panels and their "galvanizing" wasn't up to par compared to the Detroit products.

Audi comes with what, a ten year corrosion warranty on the sheet metal products? Indicating that at some point, they're aware of what ordinary corrosion issues are.
12 year unlimited miles. Best in the business.
Had a 10 year old car get a $6500 repair under this warranty on our 2000. They had the car 3 weeks and got an A6 as a loaner.
All rusty metal replaced with OEM , not patched. Looked brand new

Quick Reply: Audi warranty worthless to us