Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Automatic Stop-Start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeebow
I disabled mine. rather fill up the tank than put an extra load on the starter and battery.
I agree with that..... plus the heavy duty starter will just last way longer not being used more often.

Use the Start/Stop Function more often and you'll replace the starter in its normal life duration, but if you don't use it, then you'll get 4-5 times its normal life expediency.

The fuel savings is rather small, but the downtime savings (from not requiring a replacement) is much more significant IMO.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQive
No. The SQ5 does not have it...at least not the petrol version.
Not strictly true. I have it on my SQ5 TFSI. It is likely a market by market thing....and no, I am not confusing it with the stop/start button!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthValley
Not strictly true. I have it on my SQ5 TFSI. It is likely a market by market thing....and no, I am not confusing it with the stop/start button!
What market? I am in the US. Mine does not have it
Old 11-03-2014, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
What market? I am in the US. Mine does not have it
He's in Chile. NA-market SQ5s don't have it, his point was just that it's not a global thing since his (petrol) SQ5 has it. Though anyone wanting photo evidence would need to wait since it's still in delivery to him down there.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
He's in Chile. NA-market SQ5s don't have it, his point was just that it's not a global thing since his (petrol) SQ5 has it. Though anyone wanting photo evidence would need to wait since it's still in delivery to him down there.
The SQ5 that I saw in the showroom here had it too so I certainly should be getting it! Also, it seems China has it too:

Highlights > Audi China
Old 11-03-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by - B -
I agree with that..... plus the heavy duty starter will just last way longer not being used more often.

Use the Start/Stop Function more often and you'll replace the starter in its normal life duration, but if you don't use it, then you'll get 4-5 times its normal life expediency.

The fuel savings is rather small, but the downtime savings (from not requiring a replacement) is much more significant IMO.
I had this sytem in a BMW and had the car for 5 years without any issues at all. No starter replacement, no battery replacement. It just worked and worked well. It also goes a little way to help the carbon footprint the SQ5 leaves!!! Also, where I live the average summer temps are around 30-35C and I never had a problem where the car interior overheated and was uncomfortable because the aircon stopped for a few minutes. Of course, Audi gave us an on/off switch for it so we can do as we prefer!!
Old 11-07-2014, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all of the various perspectives on this. I gotta say that while I can see the potential value in this feature, it drives me a little batty when it's on (which in part may be simply because I am so unaccustomed to it), so for now I've turned it off. I could see some situations where I might want to use it, so I'm glad we have the option to engage or disable it at will with the press of a button.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am in the market for a Q5 and have a question regarding the start-stop feature. When you turn it off, does it stay off when you start up the car later? I think on the BMW, even if you turn it off, it automatically reengages after you shut down the car and start up again.

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tchen811
I am in the market for a Q5 and have a question regarding the start-stop feature. When you turn it off, does it stay off when you start up the car later? I think on the BMW, even if you turn it off, it automatically reengages after you shut down the car and start up again.

Thanks.
I think it depends on your country. My US 3.0T will retain whatever setting you had it last. I have read others though say that it will always default back to On in some markets
Old 11-18-2014, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
I think it depends on your country. My US 3.0T will retain whatever setting you had it last. I have read others though say that it will always default back to On in some markets
My 2015 TDI does the same . . . if I disable the Start-Stop it stays off (even when stopping and restarting the engine) until I press the button to engage it again.

Quick Reply: Automatic Stop-Start?