Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 09:37 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Basic First Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic First Mods?

In the process of getting a new Q5 2015 for the fiancé, and wanted to see if there are any basic / starter mods you guys recommend doing to the Q5.

I've never owned an Audi, so I appreciate the help to make it an even better driving experience.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2015, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

What a loaded question! Depending on your viewpoint I could suggest any of these as starter mods:
1) Front license plate removal
2) dealer sticker removal
3) window tint
4) Stage 1 tune!
5) Wheel spacers (with stock wheels tires to get rid of the Q5 wheel tuck, esp on rear)
6) Buy a VAG-Com and perform any number of simple mods (gauge sweep on start, disable DRL "Wink" on front turn signals, disable seat belt warning chime, etc)
7) New wheels/tires

I'm sure others will chime in with what they think are "starter" mods. Any hints on what you consider a simple mod? Performance related, looks-related, handling-related, functional mods (VAG-Com)?
Old 04-30-2015, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
What a loaded question! Depending on your viewpoint I could suggest any of these as starter mods:
1) Front license plate removal
2) dealer sticker removal
3) window tint
4) Stage 1 tune!
5) Wheel spacers (with stock wheels tires to get rid of the Q5 wheel tuck, esp on rear)
6) Buy a VAG-Com and perform any number of simple mods (gauge sweep on start, disable DRL "Wink" on front turn signals, disable seat belt warning chime, etc)
7) New wheels/tires

I'm sure others will chime in with what they think are "starter" mods. Any hints on what you consider a simple mod? Performance related, looks-related, handling-related, functional mods (VAG-Com)?
Thanks for that. Looks related mostly, as its for my fiancé so just trying to make the car look better. But I'm open to all options.

The front license plate removal would be great, however its required here in NJ. I have a Maserati, and have gotten pulled over a few times for it already. I refuse to put it on and mess up that gorgeous front though
Old 04-30-2015, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Replacing interior light with led is easy and can consider as basic, but can change the look/feel of car a lot. There are 26, but I replace 24 bulbs and that is my first mod for my a few days old car.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My "subtle" mods to my 2011 2.0T Premium + included:

1) Embroidered floor mats with "Q5" in silver stitching, like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Original-Audi-OEM-Floormats-Floor-Mats-Mat-Audi-Q5-8R-S-Line-/130733047270?hash=item1e704bfde6&vxp=mtr
2) "True" fog lights, Hoen Endurance -- Hoen

3) If you have the stock stereo, replace the cheap "woofer" in the spare tire area with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSE-ACOUSTIMASS-SUB-WOOFER-DRIVER-181860-/261851428065?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf78fb4e1Much heavier, more solid driver, deeper bass

4) If you drive in inclement weather, aka rain and snow, these work well:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Front-Rear-Mud-Flaps-Splash-Guards-For-Audi-Q5-2010-2011-2012-2013-/181402977913?hash=item2a3c75c679&vxp=mtr
5) I replaced the tailgate/hatch lights with LEDs off eBay, might have to do a search for proper fitment

6) Cargo net, excellent for securing gear, groceries, etc. Do NOT buy the Audi one, it's 5x more expensive at the dealer than this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIT-FOR-AUDI-A1-A3-A4-A5-A6-A8-A7-TT-TRUNK-CARGO-NET-MESH-LUGGAGE-ELASTIC-HOOK-/231393940732?fits=Make%3AAudi%7CModel%3AQ5&hash=item35e02754fc&vxp=mtr
7) After-market but still Audi OEM chrome exhaust tips (unless yours are already chromed); why Audi doesn't just install these on their Qs is beyond me. I would NOT go aftermarket due to quality and fitment issues. Mine fit perfectly and (after a good buffing) look great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Audi-A4-A5-A6-Q5-PAIR-of-Chrome-Exhaust-Tips-2-0L-8K0-071-761-/271442141246?hash=item3f3336603e&vxp=mtr
8) I do after-market license-plate frames on ALL my vehicles and there is a good choice of chromed, black, or carbon-fiber ones out there. "Audi," four rings, whatever.

New wheels/tires strike me as redundant on a new car, spacers strike me as superfluous, tinting is at your discretion depending how much sun you get (Phoenix vs. Portland OR, let's say). The main thing is: ENJOY!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's not mandatory to mod your car.. but it sure is fun

What are you looking to do? performance or looks?

My first mod on my Q5 was installing an intake the day after I bought it. Then some vagcom mods and interior accessories like aluminum pedals the following week. Few months later was sport springs and spacers and a stage 1 tune. Now i'm trying to buy wheels

remember mod = modification and moderation... take your time and do it right. You'll be very happy
Old 05-01-2015, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by q5 dave

remember mod = modification and moderation...
I love it! Can I steal that from you Dave?

To each his own, but my tastes run to subtle and clean. It can be viciously, over-the-top fast/quick, but looks-wise, moderation is key. Well done!
Old 05-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you guys for especially audio video guy on taking the time to help me out with some ideas on what can be done for my first mods.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Mods to my 2014 TDI Premium Plus

1) Front license plate removal and add filler panel
2) Rear license plate frame - matte black
3) Front window tint
4) Clear 3M protective film on rear bumper and mirrors
5) Installed module that allows Hatch closing via keyfob or interior hatch switch
6) Interior LED kit from Deautokey
7) Complete second set of wheels and tires

I installed the interior LEDs last night. Great upgrade. Deautokey has a complete interior kit for the Q5. I recommend purchasing the footwell LEDs . Light output of these footwell LEDs is just the right intensity. OEM footwell LEDs too dim.

Paid $95 for 26 LEDs. It took about 70 minutes to install. All you need is a small flat head screwdriver and a T25 Torx driver.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:28 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am on the same boat as you are as SQ is my wife's car, so I did mainly minor cosmetic and functional mods.

1. Full Xpel Clearbra (Full Hood, front bumper, rocker panels & etc)
2. Clearplex windshield protection (I don't want to know how much OEM new windshield costs on this thing)
3. Front Window Tint
4. Weathertech Floor Liners
5. European Warning Triangle (Since there is a space for it, why not install it. Got it cheap from German Ebay)
6. Audi Slim Line license plate frame
7. Full coding
8. Unplugged exhaust valves, not sure if this is applicable to Non SQs

The next mods I would not call it basic but why not….

9. European Tail Lights (they have orange turn signals when lid instead of the all red US spec tails) To me this is a safety feature
10. RSQ5 Grill - Just for looks and I was able to get in on the group buy (not installed yet)
11. Full blown paint correction and detail (All was done before clear bra)
12. Oil Dip Stick (ok this is basic and a must)
13. Audi Logo under door lights (I installed these to be goofy but she ended up liking them and we kept them)

Most what I have done is the protect or preserve the car as she keeps her cars 5-7 years.

We will not be doing any performance related mods as the car is plenty fast for what it is.

Hope this helps and I am sure I am forgetting some stuff.

Last edited by TTG; 05-01-2015 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Basic First Mods?